Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
nfisheremti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 69459
Vehicle:
2014 2.0 hatch
pearl white

Default o2 sensor location

i have a check engine light on. the code reads:

o2 sensor bank#1 sensor #2

the local shop that read the code for me, said that was the front sensor. i called the guy that usually works on my wife's car (a subaru specialty shop), he said it was the rear (and it would cost $200 to replace it). so i figured i would do it myself.

i called the dealer and they told me it was $147 for the new sensor, so i started looking on-line. i got a parts help chat going and the guy at the other end told me b1 s2 was the front. AAAAAAAAAAAAA
so i called the dealer they told me it was the rear. fhweh! boy i'm glad that's been cleared up

so i've got 2 votes for front and 2 for rear. i've never really thought of car repair as a democratic process. so does anyone really know which it is? it would make sense that sensor #2 is the rear, but what is this bank#1 bs? is that there just to cause enough confusion that you take it to a professional?

please enlighten me.

thanks.
/n
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nfisheremti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
silver2004impreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127878
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza 2.5TS
2004 Outback sedan H6

Bank 1 sensor 1 is the upstream O2 sensor. Sensor 2 is the downstream sensor. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

As far as the bank part goes, it refers to the cylinder banks. On our engines, since both heads blow into a common collector before the upstream sensor, we've only got 1 bank. Same thing with an inline engine, regardless of how many cylinders it has. On a V engine (be it a V6, V8, V10, etc), there are 2 banks. Bank 1 is the one that has cylinder 1 in it (typically the passenger side in the case of a longitudinally mounted engine, or at the back side in a transverse setup), bank 2 is on the other side.

The reason for the 2 banks is to let the tech know which sensor had failed. For example, a Ford Exploder with a 4.0 SOHC V6, has four O2 sensors. One in each exhaust manifold before the cat, and one in each manifold just after the cat. The exhaust then runs into a Y pipe and then travels out the back of the truck. In that case, Bank 1, Sensor 1 would be the one on the passenger side of the engine, before the cat. Bank 1, Sensor 2 would also be on the passenger side of the engine, after the cat.

I hope that helps.
silver2004impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
nfisheremti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 69459
Vehicle:
2014 2.0 hatch
pearl white

yes, that helps. thank you.
nfisheremti is offline   Reply With Quote