Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday May 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid West Subaru Owners Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #251
trippin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 110335
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ICT
Vehicle:
'08 AW STI &
'08 SSM FSXT

Default

$700 for a downpipe is robbery. Let me guess that is BSM's pricing? U can get that piece for around $550. But Perrin makes junk parts. And the free PDX maps arent that fantastic either. Spend $300 on catless or $400-$500 on other brands of catted if you are concerned about boost creep. Finish up your mods and buy a custom map from Clark on here for $150. Or just run a free Cobb Stage 2 map for now. Didnt you get a free custom Perrin map with your accessport purchase @ BSM? They were running that promotion when I bought my AP from Robert.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #252
trippin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 110335
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ICT
Vehicle:
'08 AW STI &
'08 SSM FSXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ict-wrx View Post
got to get to work so i can find a cut-off wheel to cut one coil off the front springs.

update::: one coil cut equals just right.
Uh, curious. How much was just right?
trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #253
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149565
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippin View Post
Uh, curious. How much was just right?
uuuhhmmm, with a big heavy speaker box in the back, the front is now just lower than the back. it really does look good now. has a little bit of a rake to it like my H&R springs on my old SVT Contour. its just about perfect ride height now. i got scared when the front end was up in the air held by the forklift and i cut one coil out and repositioned the springs. i cut exactly one coil so the springs fit right back in there original position. i have a STI body kit on there to so it scraping is back but its not as bad as i have had to deal with in the past. im pretty good at angled driveways and avoiding objects in the road. and it doesnt have that bouncy bouncy ride like i have experianced in some of my friends cars

put it this way, would i rather have not touched the springs and left it alone knowing what i know now? NO.

and, if you have spent any timemessing with your WRX's suspension, the top bolt of the two that secure the bottom of the strut to the spindle, that top bolt is "Camed" with measurement notches on it so i even semi-aligned the front end as well.

its like 6 somethin in the morning, better get to work since im here already, peace out
ict-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #254
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149565
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippin View Post
$700 for a downpipe is robbery. Let me guess that is BSM's pricing? U can get that piece for around $550. But Perrin makes junk parts. And the free PDX maps arent that fantastic either. Spend $300 on catless or $400-$500 on other brands of catted if you are concerned about boost creep. Finish up your mods and buy a custom map from Clark on here for $150. Or just run a free Cobb Stage 2 map for now. Didnt you get a free custom Perrin map with your accessport purchase @ BSM? They were running that promotion when I bought my AP from Robert.
just curious, since we are all from around here (wichita) what is BSM? is that in town?
ict-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #255
tpendergraft85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83198
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye Wagons
2006 Speed Triple

Default

bsm is bradon steven motors... the subaru dealership.

and are you cutting stock springs or aftermarket? could have invested in some coils... gotta love the adjustability. you are going to find that the cut springs are going to give you a different ride. the coils are specifically designed to be responsive at different loads, hence, the differene in how the coil is wound, tighter on one end than the other.
tpendergraft85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #256
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149565
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Default

oh trust me, i completly understanmd the dynamics of how springs react under load and how they are designed to have curtain areas compress in sequence. I just did this because i was at work with my car, a forklift, a cut off wheel and a bunch of spare time with nothin to do. i am planning on gettin some lowering or sportier springs here in a few months so this was just to get an idea of how its gonna look and give me the drive to buy the springs.

a buddie of mine years ago had a 2nd gen talon that we cut two coils from the front and one from the back and it was pretty low. so i had an idea what it was going to ride like and look like. cutting one coil really was not drastic at all. its not even a bouncy ride. its fun and temporary.
ict-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #257
tpendergraft85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83198
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye Wagons
2006 Speed Triple

Default

well you might understand spring dynamics, but there are some that might come across that post and think its ok... kind of dangerous if you ask me, but then again, i dont know that much.
tpendergraft85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #258
sammage
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162325
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon

Default

Cutting springs = less suspension travel. If you want the raked look, get some ProDrive springs, or check out the saggy butt shims..
sammage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #259
trippin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 110335
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ICT
Vehicle:
'08 AW STI &
'08 SSM FSXT

Default

Wow. You guys got this covered. It can go no where but downhill if i give my .02.
trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #260
fishheadback
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68120
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: KANSAS!!!
Vehicle:
1998 RS 2.0 vf23 STi
& MK6 GTI

Default

WHAT THE!!! I guess I need to look around more often. I thought I was a lone ranger in Kansas. What gives.

Hello Wichita chapter!! Anything cool going on soon??
fishheadback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #261
wichitalegacy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 116194
Join Date: May 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ict-wrx View Post
oh trust me, i completly understanmd the dynamics of how springs react under load and how they are designed to have curtain areas compress in sequence. I just did this because i was at work with my car, a forklift, a cut off wheel and a bunch of spare time with nothin to do. i am planning on gettin some lowering or sportier springs here in a few months so this was just to get an idea of how its gonna look and give me the drive to buy the springs.

a buddie of mine years ago had a 2nd gen talon that we cut two coils from the front and one from the back and it was pretty low. so i had an idea what it was going to ride like and look like. cutting one coil really was not drastic at all. its not even a bouncy ride. its fun and temporary.
I'll sell you my struts and springs and you can become a rally driver ....lol
wichitalegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #262
wichitalegacy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 116194
Join Date: May 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheadback View Post
WHAT THE!!! I guess I need to look around more often. I thought I was a lone ranger in Kansas. What gives.

Hello Wichita chapter!! Anything cool going on soon??

Do you live in Wichita ? And welcome
wichitalegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #263
trippin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 110335
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ICT
Vehicle:
'08 AW STI &
'08 SSM FSXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheadback View Post
WHAT THE!!! I guess I need to look around more often. I thought I was a lone ranger in Kansas. What gives.

Hello Wichita chapter!! Anything cool going on soon??
Uh no. We are in WICHITA. Nothing cool happens here. Where u at?
trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #264
fishheadback
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68120
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: KANSAS!!!
Vehicle:
1998 RS 2.0 vf23 STi
& MK6 GTI

Default

I used to live in wichita, now I live in McPherson, about 45 min north on 35. I go to Wichita whenever I get the chance. McPherson is way too small.

Guess I had high hopes finding something cool in wichita.

Ive been lurking around here for ever and havent found any locals. Guess there starting to file in, slowly, really slowly.

There has to be something going on before the weather gets crappy. I know a few other people in wichita with Impreza's. Any one check out wichitaracing.com? Theres a few scoob folk there, but I dont ever get on that site anymore. Just to check random FS ads.
fishheadback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #265
Gigabelova
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 81409
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Cutting the stock springs sounds like a gamble to me. However, since they are linearly built, theoratically, it sounds like cutting a coil off only affects travel and height. However, those struts may not be designed to handle the soft spring rate with a now lower rate of travel. Since roll speed is still the same and roll travel is shorter they may bottom out at times. I personally do not recommend it, but if it works out great, it may be a new discovery. For me at least.
Gigabelova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #266
Gigabelova
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 81409
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

I haven't been active at all lately here. Sounds like there's some commotion... Not as many people active as I'd like to see, but it's good. I plan on going down to Hallet, Tulsa this Saturday. Anyone like to join me? I'm not confirmed on this yet so give me a call/pm if you are interested. It should be roughly $150 per session for the newer folks. Then $100 for other sessions after you've done the safety training.
Gigabelova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #267
fishheadback
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68120
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: KANSAS!!!
Vehicle:
1998 RS 2.0 vf23 STi
& MK6 GTI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigabelova View Post
I haven't been active at all lately here. Sounds like there's some commotion... Not as many people active as I'd like to see, but it's good. I plan on going down to Hallet, Tulsa this Saturday. Anyone like to join me? I'm not confirmed on this yet so give me a call/pm if you are interested. It should be roughly $150 per session for the newer folks. Then $100 for other sessions after you've done the safety training.
Ooooo, that would be fun. I have been by Hallet so many times. Never had a chance to go though. And go figure its my Saturday to work.
fishheadback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #268
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149565
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigabelova View Post
Cutting the stock springs sounds like a gamble to me. However, since they are linearly built, theoratically, it sounds like cutting a coil off only affects travel and height. However, those struts may not be designed to handle the soft spring rate with a now lower rate of travel. Since roll speed is still the same and roll travel is shorter they may bottom out at times. I personally do not recommend it, but if it works out great, it may be a new discovery. For me at least.
i think i need to make sure you guys understand that the only reason i did this was out of bordom. i had lots of time at work sunday and a forklift that i have lifted the front end with before to do oil changes, and a brand new cut-off wheel smiling at me.

i am planning on getting springs and struts soon. my struts are shot. figured i was ripping all that crap out soon enough anyway so might as well have fun with it. i had never had a car with cut springs although cutting springs for many of my friends and never seeing anything bad come from their experiances.

the height is not even that low but its low enough that i have to get back into that habit of creeping up driveways really paying attention to the upcoming terrain.

PEOPLE, ITS FUN. GETTING NEW STUFF SOON ANYWAY. NOT ROLLING IT LIKE THAT FOREVER. LAUGH, BE MERRY, GRAB A KID OR AN OLD LADIE AND HUG EM. HAHA
ict-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #269
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149565
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitalegacy View Post
I'll sell you my struts and springs and you can become a rally driver ....lol
OK, is this a joke or do you really have some struts and spring for sale? after all, i am IN THE MARKET FOR SOME.
ict-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #270
tpendergraft85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83198
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye Wagons
2006 Speed Triple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ict-wrx View Post
OK, is this a joke or do you really have some struts and spring for sale? after all, i am IN THE MARKET FOR SOME.
they are forester springs lol


but i might take them for ****s and giggles if the price is right
tpendergraft85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #271
papafrito
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181280
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2008 WRX-Prn STG 2.5
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippin View Post
$700 for a downpipe is robbery. Let me guess that is BSM's pricing? U can get that piece for around $550. But Perrin makes junk parts. And the free PDX maps arent that fantastic either. Spend $300 on catless or $400-$500 on other brands of catted if you are concerned about boost creep. Finish up your mods and buy a custom map from Clark on here for $150. Or just run a free Cobb Stage 2 map for now. Didnt you get a free custom Perrin map with your accessport purchase @ BSM? They were running that promotion when I bought my AP from Robert.
No i actually just got it off their site in the stage package it came with a foam filter, a shorty antena (got rid of that ugly long one), and the stg 1 mapping. Yea i dont think i am going to spend that much on the DP. Especially since i have been offered an 08 STI turbo for 600. Just doesnt make any sense!
papafrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #272
trippin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 110335
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ICT
Vehicle:
'08 AW STI &
'08 SSM FSXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafrito View Post
No i actually just got it off their site in the stage package it came with a foam filter, a shorty antena (got rid of that ugly long one), and the stg 1 mapping. Yea i dont think i am going to spend that much on the DP. Especially since i have been offered an 08 STI turbo for 600. Just doesnt make any sense!
Do you know all thats involved in running a STI turbo? They are not a direct bolt on for your car. '08+ WRX's use the legacy style setup. If you want to run a sti turbo you must at the very least change your manifold and intercooler. Not sure on all the parts involved since i am coming from the sti and forester side of it all. If you are interested in a turbo upgrade you need to be looking at a legacy turbo(vf40,vf46?) or a '09 wrx turbo(vf52). There are a few aftermarket turbos, but it is very limited.

You might as well start with the supporting mods as there are free maps on your AP for them. Stage 2 is a great improvement over stock on any turbo Subaru, especially with a pro-tune. You will be needing supporting mods anyways when it comes time for any type of turbo upgrade.

If you are still interested in a sti turbo let me know. I have both a '07 sti turbo and a '08 sti turbo for sale locally.
trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #273
wichitalegacy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 116194
Join Date: May 2006
Default

go rotated and flip your manifold !!!!!!!!!
wichitalegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #274
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149565
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippin View Post
Do you know all thats involved in running a STI turbo? They are not a direct bolt on for your car. '08+ WRX's use the legacy style setup. If you want to run a sti turbo you must at the very least change your manifold and intercooler. Not sure on all the parts involved since i am coming from the sti and forester side of it all. If you are interested in a turbo upgrade you need to be looking at a legacy turbo(vf40,vf46?) or a '09 wrx turbo(vf52). There are a few aftermarket turbos, but it is very limited.

You might as well start with the supporting mods as there are free maps on your AP for them. Stage 2 is a great improvement over stock on any turbo Subaru, especially with a pro-tune. You will be needing supporting mods anyways when it comes time for any type of turbo upgrade.

If you are still interested in a sti turbo let me know. I have both a '07 sti turbo and a '08 sti turbo for sale locally.
what are you lookin to get for those turbo's?
ict-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #275
papafrito
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181280
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2008 WRX-Prn STG 2.5
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippin View Post
You might as well start with the supporting mods as there are free maps on your AP for them. Stage 2 is a great improvement over stock on any turbo Subaru, especially with a pro-tune. You will be needing supporting mods anyways when it comes time for any type of turbo upgrade.

See thats what i am thinking i dont want to be skipping steps. I was afraid if i got it (i wouldnt cause i am broke right now) then i would have run into alot of problems....

I'm going to probably stay true to my original plan of DP, tune, sway's, then brakes. Ill worry about that other stuff later.
papafrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any WRX owners in the Wichita Falls area? jaciuro Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 9 11-03-2012 10:04 AM
Telocity folk affected by the Rhythms chapter 11 RiftsWRX Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 5 08-24-2001 12:52 PM
Sti spring on stock struts... the FINAL chapter karl_hungus Brakes, Steering & Suspension 0 07-20-2001 08:06 AM
hey, i'm from KY...is this the right chapter? db97 South East Region Forum 4 07-12-2001 08:29 AM
KYB/AGX Install - The Final Chapter KC New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 1 09-01-2000 08:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.