Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday November 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
alanlcit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 71108
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
Silver

Default Used Oil Analysis - Amsoil ASL 5W30 - 2005 Subaru WRX STi

This is my latest oil sample from my STi. Just curious if anybody has any input on this. I received more than enough feed back last time, see the following thread for that :
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...referrerid=767
My driving habits are detailed in the original post there. This 5000 mile interval was almost entirely to/from work driving.

The last UOA was ASL 5W30 as well, the previous two were Castrol Syntec 10W40.

The thing I'm most concerned about here is the substantial uptick in iron (Blackstone is not concerned). It was a longer run, and I'm still below average here. Not sure what a "problem" level would be for iron. My guess is substantially higher?

Also, a question: Why does Blackstone say for fuel %, that <0.5 is less than "TR"??? "No fuel showed up this time, so the trace we had been seeing was likely due to something operational." I guess a "trace" is a higher number than 0.5%??? This didn't make sense to me...I'm used to "trace" meaning a very small amount, to which it wouldn't be meaningful to assign a percentage (maybe less than 0.1% in this case). I guess Blackstone has a different definition.

Consumption is about the same as normal...higher than I'd like, but it's always been that way.

Silicon is also steadily increasing, even though I replaced my air filter for this change.

I screwed up with this sample and only managed to get the last bit of oil out of the engine, which isn't how you're supposed to do it. I suppose this may have something to do with the silicon; this was probably a dirtier sample.

I will post at BITOG and ask questions too, but I always like to hear what the Subaru crowd has to say.

Next oil change I will be putting in Amsoil 5W40, since I already bought it...

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
alanlcit is offline   Reply With Quote