Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Dural
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180007
Default Question about timing belt on 1999 2.2L

So a little backstory. In 04, I purchased a 99 Impreza L (2.2L) with low mileage of 30K. For a while, I worked nearby and didn't put on much mileage, so now in 08, almost 10 years after the car was made, I still only have 60K.

Anyways, I took my car in for the 60K service today, expecting to have the timing belt done, but they said no, that's done at 105K. I stated that I was almost positive it was 60K and asked them to double check with a mechanic. They came back saying that early 99's require having it done at 60K and later 99's have it done at 105K, and that the only way they would know is by looking at it. So they take it in and report back to me that it's a 105K model. This seems a bit strange to me, why would Subaru re-engineer something like a timing belt mid model year? Is it design related or simply a different part? Also, is the timing belt strictly a mileage thing or does age also play a factor? It's not garage kept, so it's out there in the cold winters and hot summers, and I don't know how tough that is on the belt.

The car is obviously paid off, runs well and should have a lot of miles left in it, so obviously I don't want to have the engine destroyed from a timing belt failure.

This is the one thing I've found "in favor" of what the shop said...
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mm...elt~parts.html

One part is for...

1998-1999: RS ,production dates To:06-30-98

And the other is just listed 99-2001. I don't have an RS, although my service records always say Impreza RS on them...but I'm assuming they know it's an L, as they've actually worked on it. :lol

Now, even if that's the case and 105K is the recommended interval, should I go ahead and get it done anyways? The car is twice as old as most cars with 60K and, at least in my case, most of the miles are suburban style driving with a low percentage (<25%) of freeway miles.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Dural; 05-14-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Dural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
kmltick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 109875
Vehicle:
2004 Outback H6
Black & Titanium

My 99 (2.2L) had to get the Timing belt changed at 60k (it has a production date of 01/99).
kmltick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
Dural
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180007

Hmmmm...mine is 11/98.
Dural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
jamal
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71875
Vehicle:
98 2.5GT
my wheels fit

I don't think there's actually a difference with any of the belts. They just changed the interval because of some law or something. But, being almost 10 years old, it's a good idea to change it anyway. I think there's a mileage or time period, which ever comes first, clause in there somewhere.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote