Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173493
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Default Radiator fan not working

Well this morning I warmed up my car and went drove to work as I was down the street the Upper radiator hose blew. WTF my axle just went yesturday late for work again. I rode my little sissy bike to autopart store to get the hose and replaced it. now I started it again and let it warmed up about 20 minutes. to see if any other things are leaking and noticed that my radiator fans are not working (isn't it suppose to turn on when it reaches certin temp?) and the upper radiator hose is hard when I try to squeezed it well then I turn the heater on well those buttons to turn the heat or ac on and put the blower fan to 1 and now the fan starts to come on. can somebody help me diagnose this please I don't wanna blow up another hose. and hopefully nothing too extreme for me.

99 LGT 2.5
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Come on please help me

Last edited by hangman; 05-18-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Come on please help me

sorry I was multitasking and double post

Last edited by hangman; 05-15-2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: sorry I was multitasking and double post
Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
rkramer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118209
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan

possible problems... radiator cap is bad. thermostat stuck closed, waterpump going out. temp sensor is broken/unplugged. Fans unplugged. Fan fuse blown, fan relay's shot.

What is your temp gauge doing? Do you have logging capability? The fans should kick on by 195 or so.
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Ok the Temp gauge is in normal range in the middle, The fuses are not blown I've checked the one in the hood and the driver's side one also it's clearly that it's not blown. About the relay I've just replaced them from a junk yard and got like 8 of these thingsthe same results for every single one of them so I think it can't be that.

Now the tstat I will look into that this weekend most likely change it with new gaskets but wouldn't it over heat though. and the Coolant temp sensor well I can't tell because the CEL didn't come on. The waterpump I think was service @ 107K. What would be the most likely hood of this problem. I've searched around but not definitive answers.

But I going to try and replace the coolant temp sensor and tstat this weekend along with a new bottom rad hose. I've been driving around with the heat on for 2 days already just so the fans kicks in.

Any help will be appreciate Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Sorry I forgot to state I don't have logging capabilities rkramer
Old 05-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

so what exactly is the problem? if you are at normal temps then how do you know the fan / coolant temp sensor is not behaving properly? the fans should not need to be on all the time (especially when moving)

(apart from getting to the root cause of why you blew the rad hose - which is what would concern me)
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Without the fans on the rad hose gets hard (if that's what it's suppose to do) and looks like its ready to burst if the fan on its not on. And I let it idle for 10 20 minutes without the heat or ac on during that time the fan does not come on.

I think the upper rad hose burst was I think
A. It was never been change.
B. on the part where it burst there was power steering fluid on from the ps pulley like it was constantly spraying fluid to it from time to time until it finally gave up and burst.

That leak was fixed a month ago. but the weak spot on the rad hose was visible.

Any suggestion on the rad hose bursting?
Old 05-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

so are you saying the upper rad hose does *not* "get hard" if the fan *is* on? I don't see why that would be unless you are actually boiling coolant - which the temp gauge would indicate you aren't

if the hose is hard and/or blowing because the cooling system is overpressurized at normal coolant temp then I'd be thinking headgasket...
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

HG ? This was also service at 107K at a burlington VT Subaru dealer along with everything else that's involve in servicing HG the heads were machine and timing belt water pump.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
rkramer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118209
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan

The hoses normally SHOULD get hard, the cooling system holds 10-15 psi of pressure when at normal operating temp. Any more shouldn't burst the hose unless it was old and was about to go anyway, as the excess pressure should go into the overflow LONG before the host has reached its normal burst pressure.
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

so about the fan should I change the coolant temp sensor as it might be old not sending the right info to computer vs broken and throw a cel. The other dummy cts i shouldn't replace as readings are in the normal position when warmed up ? But anyways does the fan has something to do with rad hose burst along with old and was never change ?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

NM the fan kicked in after a long and impatience wait. But for anyone that encounter this kind of problem here is my 2 cents:

When coolant temp sensor reached a certain level it sends the info to the computer and computer sends relayed signal to fan. Since coolant temp sensor is a sensor defects to it would trigger a CEL in my case it didn't because nothing is wrong with it. The upper and lower rad hose hardens like it was about to burst it will if old and power steering fluid constantly shooting at it but when fan kicks in the hoses gets soft again this is what happens when you're paranoid about the hose bursting I'm sorry for wasting all you guys' time

But I'm still planning to change the tstat and lower rad hose this weekend anyways and flush cooland while Im at it.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Mission accomplish flush new tstat new lower rad hose.