Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Kansai Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59065
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 2.2LX
Dark Green

Default Rough idle and oily residue in coolant overflow tank

Hi.

My old 95 EJ22 Impreza has a rough idle. Started about a month ago. The vibration is pretty strong and I can feel it in the brake pedal and steering wheel at stops. I have changed the spark plugs and ran Seafoam through the PCV and gas tank. Still the same issue. I think my gas mileage has gone down as well.
I also have a weird problem with the coolant in the overflow container. I recently checked it and it was an oily yellowish brown color instead of the neon green it was a month ago. The coolant in the radiator was still green but had a bit of oily residue floating at top. The radiator is less than 2 months old. The motor oil looks fine and does not seem like it's contaminated by coolant.
I took off the coolant reservoir and flushed it and then refilled it with fresh coolant exactly at the MAX line.
After a short trip, the coolant in the overflow was again a yellowish brown with oily residue and filled past the MAX line. The coolant in the radiator seemed okay, but a little oily again.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kansai Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
The_Prodigy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116467
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Im sorry to say but you might have a cracked block. Try to do a pressure test on the cooling system, look for abnormal white smoke coming out of tail pipe, also see if you lose any coolant.
The_Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Kansai Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 2.2LX
Dark Green

No loss of coolant and no white smoke. The temp gauge is at the mid way level like always even after warming up. The car does not drip anything.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
rkramer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118209
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan

as bad as it sounds, i'd tend to agree with prodigy... you have all the symptoms of a cracked block.
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

Taste the coolant, is it sour?
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Kansai Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 2.2LX
Dark Green

So if I do have a cracked block, how long will my engine last?
The car is not overheating and I check the coolant level everyday and it is not going down. I will do a pressure check when I can for the cooling system.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
magnum2066
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 158586
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Pearl White

X3 Cracked block

As for how long will it last... Possibly a month maybe a single revolution, you won't know until it happens. I vote take care of it before it takes anything else down with the ship.
magnum2066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
The_Prodigy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansai Subaru View Post
So if I do have a cracked block, how long will my engine last?
The car is not overheating and I check the coolant level everyday and it is not going down. I will do a pressure check when I can for the cooling system.
A cracked block not necessarily have coolant lost. The cracked part could be an hair thin, just enough for the combusion gas to get by.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
Kansai Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 2.2LX
Dark Green

Well, thanks for the input everyone.
I will drain the coolant and refill the system with fresh coolant. If the oily residue comes back, I will definitely follow up with a coolant pressure test. With over 200,000 original miles, the car is too old for anymore expensive repairs. I just had the oil pump and the timing belt replaced along with a new radiator. The oil has not been contaminated so I guess I am not in the worst case scenario. If the car gives me anymore costly problems, sadly, it may be time to let it go. And the next car will probably not be a Subaru because of the outrageous gas prices these days. My soul feels empty...
Old 05-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
magnum2066
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Pearl White

Are you joking? I get ~25-30 mpg if I play nice with my 07' WRX.

Getting a brand new vehicle isn't a good idea either as it takes a couple thousand miles to finally break in. Mine took close to 11,000 before my mileage went way up.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
Kansai Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 2.2LX
Dark Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum2066 View Post
Are you joking? I get ~25-30 mpg if I play nice with my 07' WRX.

Getting a brand new vehicle isn't a good idea either as it takes a couple thousand miles to finally break in. Mine took close to 11,000 before my mileage went way up.
Well, I would not get a new car. A used one is fine. As for your mileage, I am sure that is in the highway range for a rex. I do nearly 100% city driving for my job and I live in downtown Washington DC right now. My job requires me to have a car and use it for work. I barely get out of the 20's in mpg for the horrible stop and go traffic in DC and that's with my N/A 2.2 liter.
I did have a MY02 Legacy Wagon for a while that did similar mileage.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
The_Prodigy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

You might wanna consider something like this....

48mpg city
Old 05-24-2008, 02:13 AM   #13
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

My POS 13 year old Honda motorcycle got around 45MPG city, cost 700$ and could outrun most sports cars. Oh and I could park it pretty much anywhere I wanted. Prius FTL

The chinese say "A car is meat wrapped in metal. A motorcycle is metal wrapped in meat"
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:16 AM   #14
magnum2066
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Pearl White

I think the Prius is overrated. There are plenty of cars that get good mileage and are very fun and sporty to drive.

If you want mileage, get a motorcycle/bike.

If you want a safe and sporty drive while getting decent mileage get something other than a Prius or any hybrid. Chances are a non hybrid will drive better because of the reduced weight along with being cheaper to fix because there are no proprietary parts like a huge battery or drivetrain.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #15
Kansai Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 2.2LX
Dark Green

Interesting how my thread went from cracked block issues to fuel efficient vehicles, but the Prius is too new for my budget. Most people forget about diesel. If my Impreza is laid to rest, I will most likely look for a diesel VW. I hate VWs, but their diesel engine offerings are rather unique and they get much better mileage than comparable gas engines. Although diesel is more expensive, their mileage offers savings compared to cars that run gasoline in the same class as the Jetta TDI or Golf TDI.

Also, would anyone recommend using stuff like the K&W Nanotechnology Head Gasket Repair? I am sure my head gasket is okay, but the product lists cracked blocks as something it seals. I will definitely get a professional diagnosis on the cracked block theory before trying a product like this out.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #16
magnum2066
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansai Subaru View Post
Also, would anyone recommend using stuff like the K&W Nanotechnology Head Gasket Repair? I am sure my head gasket is okay, but the product lists cracked blocks as something it seals. I will definitely get a professional diagnosis on the cracked block theory before trying a product like this out.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. I see it as a temporary fix if at all, and I would guess just like "radiator stop leak" that it would only cause more problems and damage later on.

If you go diesel, I suggest a late/mid 80s VW. The newer ones are okay but have some issues with quality such as A/C failures.

[edit]
If you just want a new motor, check ebay.
Clicky