Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
John Calder
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 67641
Default Cold Start Problem

Hi, I have a 1997 GX Subaru Impreza Automatic Sedan. I have had the car since new and it has always run trouble free up until now. In the last few months sometimes when I start the car in the morning it wont start, then after a few hours it starts ok. Once the car is running, performance wise it runs great. I took the car to a dealership and they done a computer analysis on the car but it showed no errors. Their thought was wait until it breaks down completely then they will be able to identify the problem. I had a road service mechanic look at it the 1st time it happened and he thought that there was no spark and the problem was the coil. I have since been told by the dealership mechanic that the coil would not break down then be ok again. Another mechanic thought that it may be a crank angle sensor but I have been told these usually break down when the engine is hot and not when it's cold. It seems that for some reason there is no spark through the coil then all of a sudden it is ok? I have also had it suggested that the problem my be in the ignition component that sits under the coil. Another mechanic suggested it may be the air flow meter and yet another has suggested that it may be the computer, and finally yet another has suggested a fuel pump. Each time someone has looked at it its has ended up starting and therefore difficult to troubleshoot the problem. Has anyone experienced this problem before and if so what fix have they come up with. I could cost me a small fortune to replace ALL the parts just to find the right one and there is no garantee that it will work after I did.

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

John Calder

Email: john.calder@bluescopesteel.com.au
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:57 AM   #2
zomba_830
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 55221
Vehicle:
2002 WRX silver

Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose this problem is to wait until it won't start. As far as the possible causes mentioned by those differant mechanics, they are just that, "possible causes", and yes it will definately cost you a small fortune to change all those parts.

Imo, your better off paying one towing charge and then having it diagnosed correctly, as opposed to "tossing a dart" and hoping you hit the problem part.

Hope this helps
Old 08-08-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
John Calder
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 67641

Its not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for you advice it is much appreciated
Old 06-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
JetLeg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 181643
Default Me too... Cold Start Issue

My 2000 is doing the same thing, but was fine in the winter prior to getting a new starter put in this spring about a month ago.

Then every morning that it's been cool since, or anytime it's been sitting for long enough with cool weather, it takes 2-3 tries to start. It's just about turning over each time. When it does it's bogging and only at 500 rpm's, I give it a shot of gas and then it jumps up to 2000 or so and settles back down.

The two time's I've taken it back to the shop it's been hot out, and they've had no issues getting it started, and say the computer is telling them nothing.

Let me know if you found out what was wrong for you... or if anyone else knows what's up!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

This thread is four years old and should not have been bumped.
Problems of this sort should be posted in the Service and Maintenance section, not here.
Closed Thread