Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
JW1016
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 125007
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default Gauge Guru's report

Here's my situation...I have an 02 WRX with the LAMCO boost gauge mounted on the steering column. I wanted to replace it with something I could read (PSI) so...I shot an email to J-Spec Tuning for a replacement, they sent me a link to a 45mm Electrical gauge, since they don't sell the mechanical ones anymore...I want to wire it up to the wires already in place for the OEM gauge...how do I do it. I left a message for Thaison to call me (left cell and office numbers) or email me with some guidance since I have heard nothing but outstanding comments on the assistance he has given, however that was 2-3 weeks ago...anyway I know nothing about electrical stuff so I need the most basic of help. Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JW1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

...well, the illumination circuit (the light in the gauge) will require tapping into a source that has power when the parking lights turn on (this may be available from the existing Lamco wiring). However, seeing that the new gauge is not mechanical, you will also require a source that is energized when the key is turned "on" (to power the meter itself). I don't have an answer for you as to where the most convenient source is for these but I wouldn't likely guide you through the process anyhow. ....no offense, but I don’t feel this should be attempted by someone who knows nothing of the basics regarding the electrical system. In the interest of your safety (and your car) I believe it would be best if you sought help from someone knowledgeable in your area who could help you in person. .....inquire in the regional forums. Mucking with the wiring in your car can have dire consequences if done improperly. An experienced person will be able to find, test and tap/connect the wires properly using the right tools & techniques.

btw, Thaison will likely not know the specifics regarding every model and (as a vendor) may not be willing to give detailed advice on wiring due to liability. ....just a thought. I'm not sure why he didn't respond with an answer though. Your e-mail may have been accidentally overlooked. If you were local, I would offer you my assistance and tools. .....I have Omori gauges as well (installed in the OEM dash pod and tapped through the clock circuit).
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

You can't use the same wiring from the OEM boost gauge for illumination on the Omori if it's an electrical gauge. The Lamco uses the dimming circuit which is fixed positive/variable negative, and is incompatible with an electrical gauge that has a common ground/negative for signal and lighting. You will have to run a separate connection to the parking light circuit, OR add a circuit to "flip" the polarity of the variable illumination voltage.
If the above does not make any sense to you, then I would have to agree with Kean and highly recommend that you get some assistance with this installation.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
JW1016
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 125007
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
WRB

Thanks for the above, I appreciate the thought you guys have put into you post. The Lamco is tied into the Stereo to dim. So, I could completely undo at that and start over fresh for this new gauge!? How do I connect with the parking light circuit. I know it would be in my best interest to have someone do it for me, however, I do want to attempt it if I have to start from scatch. So, any additional guidance on how to do so would be great. Thanks.
JW1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

....perhaps one of the installation guides from J-Spec's site may help (found in the following link):

http://www.j-spectuning.com/installations.php

...I just found this during a quick search while responding in another thread.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote