Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
WRX401
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36696
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ONTARIO CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
BLACK

Default Problems after hybrid build.

My hybrid wrx was driving fine until a few days ago. What would happened is that the car would die wants I put it into gear and leave it in gear while the clutch is fully pressed. It also happens when I leave it in gear while coming to a stop. If I was to rev it a little and take it out of gear before I come to a stop it would hold idle. Then today I notice my HKS blow off valve wasn’t going off anymore. So tonight I put the stock BOV back in and still have the same problem. Could my turbo be dead already?? It only has about 1000 miles or less on it. No WOT or pushing it hard down the road just normal driving until it breaks in so I can get it tune. Everything is stock except the up pipe. Any idea what could be wrong?? Check for leaks and couldn't fine one.

2002 wrx
stock EJ25 block and EJ20 head, and everything else is stock.

These are the only upgrade
18g 8cm turbo
HKS up pipe
255 fuel pump
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WRX401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Silver Ra
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 123143
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Chandler ,Az
Vehicle:
03 wrx 08 forester
98civic k24/k20 02 Rsx

Default

do u have a lightend flywheel or anything
Silver Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
darksc00by
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102140
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: UF.
Vehicle:
2009 Giant Defy 3
Orange and Bleu

Default

do you have a downpipe?

idc what you say. on any hybrid setup you should get tuned whether or not it was aggressive or not.


I have seen cars that don't do break in, and get strapped to the dyno with less than 50 miles on the entire engine. Their motors are fine. I am not suggesting it. But always having some kind of base map helps.
darksc00by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
WRX401
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36696
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ONTARIO CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ra View Post
do u have a lightend flywheel or anything
Stock Flywheel with ACT Clutch.
WRX401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
WRX401
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36696
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ONTARIO CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksc00by View Post
do you have a downpipe?

idc what you say. on any hybrid setup you should get tuned whether or not it was aggressive or not.


I have seen cars that don't do break in, and get strapped to the dyno with less than 50 miles on the entire engine. Their motors are fine. I am not suggesting it. But always having some kind of base map helps.
Stock down pipe.


Was planning on taking it in next month or so, but now I have to get this problem fix before I put it on the dyno.
WRX401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
BigC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 80928
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2013 XV Crosstrek
MBP

Default

You might pull your plugs and check to see if they all appear the same... You didn't mention injectors in that list of upgrades yet there's no way you can support an 18g on anything less than 750's realistically. Maybe one of the stockers went static and stuck open? With that turbo and stock injectors it wouldn't take much to max them out.

Ditch the stock down pipe. You need a bellmouth with that turbo and whether it's catted or not is up to you.
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
WRX401
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36696
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ONTARIO CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
You might pull your plugs and check to see if they all appear the same... You didn't mention injectors in that list of upgrades yet there's no way you can support an 18g on anything less than 750's realistically. Maybe one of the stockers went static and stuck open? With that turbo and stock injectors it wouldn't take much to max them out.

Ditch the stock down pipe. You need a bellmouth with that turbo and whether it's catted or not is up to you.
Are you saying that maybe one of the injectors might be stuck open and flowing all the time?? I'm running stock injectors right now just to break it in. I had 840cc on the car before but I wasn't able to drive the car or anything, it just kept flooding the motor. I'll pinch the supply line and the return line tomorrow morning and see if theres a leak.

Thanks for the input.
WRX401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
BigC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 80928
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2013 XV Crosstrek
MBP

Default

I'm guessing you don't have any engine management or ability to log the car? It could be any one of a number of things and double checking all of the connections (vacuum, PCV, IC) would be good to do. Does it run fine otherwise?

I just suggested pulling the plugs because if you don't have any other mean of monitoring how it's running, those are a good indicator. With only a 1000 miles on it I would think they should look almost new unless it's running way rich or way lean.

Were you going to have it tuned with the stock injectors or throw the 840's in there?

Last edited by BigC; 06-20-2008 at 10:42 AM.
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Silver Ra
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 123143
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Chandler ,Az
Vehicle:
03 wrx 08 forester
98civic k24/k20 02 Rsx

Default

you dont need 740 cc and plus injects i ran a 20g with pinks(550's) and made 330awhp and i run 650's on a gt30r and make 415 awhp. get all the bugs tuned out of it then see if u still got the prolbum
Silver Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
WRX401
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36696
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ONTARIO CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
I'm guessing you don't have any engine management or ability to log the car? It could be any one of a number of things and double checking all of the connections (vacuum, PCV, IC) would be good to do. Does it run fine otherwise?

I just suggested pulling the plugs because if you don't have any other mean of monitoring how it's running, those are a good indicator. With only a 1000 miles on it I would think they should look almost new unless it's running way rich or way lean.

Were you going to have it tuned with the stock injectors or throw the 840's in there?
I'm tuning it with the 840cc at GT Motorsport. I guy I talk to recommend I break in the motor with at least 1500 miles first.
WRX401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
WRX401
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36696
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ONTARIO CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
BLACK

Default

I check and there is no leaks today, the ngk 7 plugs are fine. The only thing left is the MAF sensor. I don't have a DSO to check. Anyone lives in Ontario that might have a DSO I can borrow?? My DVOM not able to read square wave patten..
WRX401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
BigC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 80928
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas City
Vehicle:
2013 XV Crosstrek
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ra View Post
you dont need 740 cc and plus injects i ran a 20g with pinks(550's) and made 330awhp and i run 650's on a gt30r and make 415 awhp. get all the bugs tuned out of it then see if u still got the prolbum
Good thing it never gets cold in AZ.... :\ It has an effect on IDC's believe it or not. Since the OP is in Ontario, some head room with the injectors is a really good idea IMO
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Leak on Driver's Side after EJ257 Hybrid Build lancelucas Service & Maintenance 11 05-01-2014 10:05 AM
WRX Hybrid Build Problem wrxdragger Subaru Conversions 30 11-03-2009 02:23 PM
EM Problems after build ~ reward if fixed! snowcrzy Engine Management & Tuning 17 07-30-2007 07:21 PM
Electrical gremlin after hybrid build thejean Electrical & Lighting 2 02-15-2007 11:04 AM
Your Thoughts Please: hybrid build for summer 06!!! opious Built Motor Discussion 12 04-18-2006 11:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.