Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 24, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STi

Default better steering resonse, 245/45 or 255/40

on an 8" wide rim?

I know easy logic says the 255/40 because of it having less profile height, but keep in mind it is on an 8" wide rim.

I would sacrifice some of the 255 grip if the 245 would actually have better steering response.

Need new tires and I am most likely gonna go with Azenis.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
SimonJ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135309
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default

Both are pretty tall tires compared to stock
SimonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STi

Default

and the stock tires have really stiff sidewalls. I'm not comparing them to stock, I am comparing two different sizes of azenis on an 8" wide rim.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
bdi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66033
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Dergo, CA
Vehicle:
05 STi

Default

Are these for the street?
If so...I say bump the Azenis and get the Hankooks. They cost about the same and the main reason would be the fact that you can get them in a 245/40/17 which would be a much better choice than the ones you mentioned. The Azenis are not very comfy on the street (to me). I had them on both a 8 and 8.5 inch wide wheel and the steering response was pretty good on both. But on the street they ride very rough and suck...i mean straight suck in the rain...even at full thread depth. The kooks will be much better in the wet and the dry grip will just as good on the STREET. Plus the shorter sidewall will help with steering response as these tires are alittle softer.
Just something to think about.
bdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
millerni
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 80756
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Fort Collins, Co
Vehicle:
2005 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdi View Post
Are these for the street?
If so...I say bump the Azenis and get the Hankooks. They cost about the same and the main reason would be the fact that you can get them in a 245/40/17 which would be a much better choice than the ones you mentioned. The Azenis are not very comfy on the street (to me). I had them on both a 8 and 8.5 inch wide wheel and the steering response was pretty good on both. But on the street they ride very rough and suck...i mean straight suck in the rain...even at full thread depth. The kooks will be much better in the wet and the dry grip will just as good on the STREET. Plus the shorter sidewall will help with steering response as these tires are alittle softer.
Just something to think about.


This was my thinking when I recently made my tire purchase. I really didn't want to go with 245/45's or 255/40's in the azenis, so I ended up with R-S2's. Haven't really gotten a chance to throw anything serious at them yet, but I can certainly feel the increase in grip over the falken fk-452's they replaced. If you're set on the azenis, then sorry for getting off topic. If you're open to other tires in order to get the optimal 245/40 tire size, then the R-S2's are certainly worth a look. Good luck.
millerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STi

Default

Which tire would provide better steering response when used with an 8" wide rim, a 245/45 or a 255/40?
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
waktasz
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 86356
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 s1000r
wheelie monster

Default

The 255 is shorter so...
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
bluescoobywagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14911
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: The land of E85
Vehicle:
Not A Wagon!
2011 WRX - 285s on 18x9.5

Default

Since you seem to be asking about steering response only, I would go with the 245. The 255 is designed for an 8.5" rim minimum, and therefore would not fit the rim size as well, while a 245/45/17 can go as low as 7.5" recommended rim widths.

Steering response is affected by the sidewall design more than the tire size...
bluescoobywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
apexanimal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170186
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Vehicle:
08 Fit
Blue

Default

^^ what he said...


i'm running 225's on my 8" and they're not stretched... but matching the tread width to your rim width is key... if you're running 255 on a 8" rim it's going to bubble out and allow the rim to move that much more inside the tire before the tire moves...

my .02
apexanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STi

Default

Really good info blue and apex, thanks. bdi and Mill, I guess I'll take a look at those other tires. I'm really not sold on running such short tires though because of the increased mileage it puts on the odometer. I'll have to do some math to see if it really matters that much.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
millerni
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 80756
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Fort Collins, Co
Vehicle:
2005 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post
Really good info blue and apex, thanks. bdi and Mill, I guess I'll take a look at those other tires. I'm really not sold on running such short tires though because of the increased mileage it puts on the odometer. I'll have to do some math to see if it really matters that much.
Meet your new best friend.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
millerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
apexanimal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170186
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Vehicle:
08 Fit
Blue

Default

the azeni 245 measures 9.1" wide on tread

vs.

the 225 measures 8.3" wide on tread


the only real reason you would want to go with a 245 tire is if you're dragging, or have ultra stiff race tires... for the rest of us... 225 would be a better way to go... steering response wise...
apexanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
millerni
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 80756
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Fort Collins, Co
Vehicle:
2005 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
the azeni 245 measures 9.1" wide on tread

vs.

the 225 measures 8.3" wide on tread


the only real reason you would want to go with a 245 tire is if you're dragging, or have ultra stiff race tires... for the rest of us... 225 would be a better way to go... steering response wise...
I've got to disagree here. The only reason for going with 245's certainly isn't drag racing. If the op does any sort of autox or aggressive driving, the cornering grip benefits of 245 vs. a 225 are significant. Sorry for getting off topic op. I definitely see the 245/45 having better response, although overall grip will be higher with the 255/40. Not to mention, they look really mean.
millerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #14
apexanimal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170186
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Vehicle:
08 Fit
Blue

Default

^^ i do agree that the 245's will have more grip... it's hard to not see the benefits of nearly 1" more tread... but it's usually at the cost of quick response and stability in transitions...
apexanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 60082
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post
on an 8" wide rim?

I know easy logic says the 255/40 because of it having less profile height, but keep in mind it is on an 8" wide rim.

I would sacrifice some of the 255 grip if the 245 would actually have better steering response.

Need new tires and I am most likely gonna go with Azenis.
Have you upgraded bushings and mounts on the car? If not, you shouldn't really be all that concerned about responsiveness. You're automatically missing a lot if you stick with the mushy stock rubber bits. Sorry.

I will also note a stiffer tire isn't necessarily better. It will be a little less forgiving with inputs vs. something a little softer.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
AlbanianImpreza
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38506
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate, NY
Vehicle:
2000 NEW hotness RSC
SRP SON!

Default

The Cheaper One
AlbanianImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Lateralis
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 144421
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2012 STi ltd
DGM

Default

Dont mean to thread jack or anything, but I'm looking to pick up some 18x9 35mm off and not quite sure what tire to run. I've been thinking 255, 35/40. Suggestions?

(PS: I'm not really low or anything and have a pretty stiff suspension setup, and my fenders are getting rolled flat soon to make room. )
Lateralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #18
AlbanianImpreza
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38506
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate, NY
Vehicle:
2000 NEW hotness RSC
SRP SON!

Default

get THE CHEAPER ONE
AlbanianImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #19
bdi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66033
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Dergo, CA
Vehicle:
05 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
the azeni 245 measures 9.1" wide on tread

vs.

the 225 measures 8.3" wide on tread


the only real reason you would want to go with a 245 tire is if you're dragging, or have ultra stiff race tires... for the rest of us... 225 would be a better way to go... steering response wise...
Worst input/response ever!
bdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
apexanimal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170186
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Vehicle:
08 Fit
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdi View Post
Worst input/response ever!
right back at ya...

could you elaborate oh wise one?
apexanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #21
Alaskan EJ20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 160040
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchortown
Vehicle:
2002 Bugi / 1993 L
Symmetry Tuning

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
right back at ya...

could you elaborate oh wise one?
if your talking response, 9 inches on the ground would be way better than 8, i have to agree with bdi on this one,

there are three factors to consider in a tire for response,

tire width, wider is better
grip, softer is better
sidewall, sorter is better, or reinforced (steel exc.)

all depending on what rim width of course-
a stretched tire would respond better, to a point of course cause then there are contact issues, than one that is too wide for the rim.
Alaskan EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #22
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Road Runner View Post
Have you upgraded bushings and mounts on the car? If not, you shouldn't really be all that concerned about responsiveness. You're automatically missing a lot if you stick with the mushy stock rubber bits. Sorry.

I will also note a stiffer tire isn't necessarily better. It will be a little less forgiving with inputs vs. something a little softer.
I've not upgraded the bushings, but I have springs and a lot of chassis bracing. The car is a bit of a go-kart with torque.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #23
bluescoobywagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14911
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: The land of E85
Vehicle:
Not A Wagon!
2011 WRX - 285s on 18x9.5

Default

I run 245/40/17's on 17x8.5" rims when autocrossing. I also run them on the street. They may be overkill on the street, but they're a necessity when I race. With an STi you can probably get away with the taller tire, but most nationally competitve STi's are on the shorter tires for the gearing advantage.

As for odometer error, you'll read 101,000 miles after 100,000 miles. That's not going to affect the value of the car...
bluescoobywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #24
apexanimal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170186
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Vehicle:
08 Fit
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan EJ20 View Post
if your talking response, 9 inches on the ground would be way better than 8, i have to agree with bdi on this one,

there are three factors to consider in a tire for response,

tire width, wider is better
grip, softer is better
sidewall, sorter is better, or reinforced (steel exc.)

all depending on what rim width of course-
a stretched tire would respond better, to a point of course cause then there are contact issues, than one that is too wide for the rim.
i agree... if you read a few posts up from yours you'll see that i agree with you...

the original question was what would give better steering response... i was just going off that...
apexanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #25
Alaskan EJ20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 160040
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchortown
Vehicle:
2002 Bugi / 1993 L
Symmetry Tuning

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
i agree... if you read a few posts up from yours you'll see that i agree with you...

the original question was what would give better steering response... i was just going off that...
yes, im sorry, your are right in this situation that 225 would be the best for his rim.

back on topic, shemoves you make it hard to decide what would be better on your 8'' rim because both 245 and 255 are too big (wide) for that rim, your rim will shift back and forth in the tire, and the 245 has a 45 series side wall which is less responsive than a 40 series,

i say in this case the 245-45 would be better than an 1 inch wider tire with a little less side wall.
Alaskan EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: 235/45/17, 245/40/17 or 255/40/17 tires BLACKWRX03 NWIC Private Classifieds 1 04-05-2009 07:11 AM
245/45 or 255/40 Rt-615 for 06 Sti? BlackSTI2006 Tire & Wheel 40 06-03-2007 05:36 PM
17x8.5 +42 w/ 245/40/17 or 255/40/17 ommmjido Tire & Wheel 9 05-20-2006 12:10 PM
WTB: Used/New 245/40/17 or 255/40/17 tires joenationwide Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 2 12-01-2005 02:40 AM
Tires wanted: 245/40/17 or 255/40/17 Dealer Xing Tri-State Area Forum 0 04-10-2004 12:15 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.