Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
thunder_lizard_1976
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 145642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Ltd
Cuz Chicks Dig The Wagon

Question 07 WRX DRL delete = dim low beams?

The title pretty much says it all..Ever since I disabled the DRL's on my 07, the low beam main headlights don't seem quite as bright..They never really worked that well to begin with, but this is pathetic. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I possibly seeing things?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
thunder_lizard_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
lennyTR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 142379
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder_lizard_1976 View Post
The title pretty much says it all..Ever since I disabled the DRL's on my 07, the low beam main headlights don't seem quite as bright..They never really worked that well to begin with, but this is pathetic. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I possibly seeing things?
Nope. Mine work fine.
I disabled the DRL's a few weeks after buying my car. I disconnected the ground...it's in a big plug that sits under the passenger corner of the dash. The thread is on here somewhere.
lennyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
yakkosmurf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 81931
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2008 STI (Stage 1)
WR Blue Mica w/ Gold BBS

Why are there so many threads about disabling DRLs? I'd prefer others to see me and avoid hitting me.
yakkosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
thunder_lizard_1976
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 145642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Ltd
Cuz Chicks Dig The Wagon

I mainly disabled them cause even on a low volt setting, the DRL's suck up some juice, and I personally like to be able to run just the parking lights in their place..I used the un-grounding method as well (red/ yellow center wire behind passenger dash) I wanted to know if others with the same mod had noticed an difference themselves....
thunder_lizard_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
yakkosmurf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 81931
Vehicle:
2008 STI (Stage 1)
WR Blue Mica w/ Gold BBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder_lizard_1976 View Post
...the DRL's suck up some juice...
You do realize your car has an alternator to generate electricity when it runs? The alternator spins the same speed with the same spinning friction no matter what loads its supporting. How does a 5% (at most) increase in draw make any bit of difference? What do you need the extra margin for?
yakkosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
lennyTR
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkosmurf View Post
Why are there so many threads about disabling DRLs? I'd prefer others to see me and avoid hitting me.
If you have an HID system (like me), you wouldn't want your HID's to be turned on with half power. That is the reason why I disabled mine. And besides that, for some reason I just have never like DRL's on any car...

They just don't agree with me.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
lennyTR
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
If you have an HID system (like me), you wouldn't want your HID's to be turned on with half power. That is the reason why I disabled mine. And besides that, for some reason I just have never liked DRL's on any car...

Old 07-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
matt.britt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 182184
Vehicle:
2003 WRX sedan
Silver

Quote:
The alternator spins the same speed with the same spinning friction no matter what loads its supporting.
This is not true. However, I agree that the load incurred by headlamps isn't really noticeable, though I doubt this is the reason someone would want to disable their DRLs.
matt.britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

Ok, no flaming.

Even if the draw with the DRL's on is negligible, there's still a draw. A draw means more of a load imposed and to compensate, the idle must go up and with that, more fuel consumption.

To possibly solve your "dim" low beam problem, you may want to consider making/buying a head light wiring harness that is separate from the factory one.

In short, the low beam bulbs operate below their full potential due to the fact the power to feed the bulbs takes a long path through the harness and that the wires themselves are thin, say 18-gauge.

If you have a harness that's both shorter in length and a thicker gauge, you effectively reduce loss and resistance and thus more power gets to the bulbs so they are now working closer to their rated output.

Look at and first read this write-up by Daniel Stern Lighting: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Look at Lightwerkz (if you want to purchase a harness -- scroll down to about the bottom of the page): http://lightwerkz.net/prod_subaru.htm

Look here at Nasioc (if you want to build your own harness) -- there are several write-ups. Also maybe ScoobyMods; IWSTI; etc.

I made my own low beam harness out of 12-gauge wire for both the power and ground circuits. The low beams are brighter and so are the high beams. Why, when I did not do anything to the high beams? This is because the low and high beams share the same power feed. Since the low beam now has its own power source, the high beams no longer share and thus have their own dedicated power source, thus more flows to the bulbs and thus, they are brighter.

Why not upgrade the high beam wires with their own dedicated harness? IMO, it's not worth it -- I don't drive around with the high beams on so why put the effort and resources where they're not needed.

Good luck and Happy Motoring!
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
matt.britt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 182184
Vehicle:
2003 WRX sedan
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
Even if the draw with the DRL's on is negligible, there's still a draw. A draw means more of a load imposed and to compensate, the idle must go up and with that, more fuel consumption.
Quite right, but with alternator efficiency factored in (~55-60%), your low beams dissipate no more than about 0.13 horsepower per bulb. If you can notice a ~0.3 HP difference, hats off to you!
matt.britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Squishy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 128530
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
WRB

DRL's are not really that effective anyways.

http://www.motorists.org/drl/

They are a great gimmick though and I can't say that I miss them since I disabled them either.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #12
bonesmcgraw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 66710
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
05 sti
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyTR View Post
If you have an HID system (like me), you wouldn't want your HID's to be turned on with half power. That is the reason why I disabled mine. And besides that, for some reason I just have never like DRL's on any car...

Did you remove the wire in the relay to the left of the blue relay behind the glove box. I believe it is yellow with a red stripe or is there a different wire to disconnect. The reason I ask is I just upgraded to a tsx hid retrofit and I disconnected that wire and my drls went off with my halogens. After my retrofit the hid's are now on and I can't figure out how to disable the drl's now.
bonesmcgraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
rexyrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 169205

07 WRX DRL delete = dim low beams?

Last edited by rexyrex; 10-08-2008 at 06:33 AM.
rexyrex is offline   Reply With Quote