Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
myslowgrandmacar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316137
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Pearl Blue

Default 08 2.5i Misfire Cylinders 2 and 4

Hello fellow Subaru owners

Let me start off by saying that I am having issues with my 2008 Impreza 2.5i manual hatch with 75k miles.

My issue started up about a month ago. One night it was cold out and I started it up and I couldn't let it warm up as much as I usually do. I had went to drive it and noticed when I put the clutch in coming to stops it would stall. This would happen for 3 or 4 stops and then the issue stopped happening, but my idle would dip down to almost stopping.

The next day I threw a code for Cylinder 4 Misfire, and a pd code for Cylinder 4 misfire. I cleared the code to see if it would pop up again, and it didn't but I eventually had the stall after putting clutch in issue that resolved itself after a few stops again. CEL did not show for a while. The code reappeared a few days later without experiencing the clutch in stall issue. I changed the spark plugs, and noticed there was oil in the wire boots. I cleared the code and waited for it to pop up, and the CEL did not come on but I had a pending code for cylinder 4 misfire still.

My next step would be to change the wires out but I can't really troubleshoot because the miss isn't consistent. The issue seems to happen more frequently from a "cold" start, after letting it sit overnight etc. I can feel the car miss occasionally from a cold start but it doesn't do it while I'm driving and my mpg is around 26 doing highway driving at around 70-75 and when I'm cruising on backroads it's not uncommon for me to reach over 30mpg.

The car has around 75k miles on it. I bought it with 60k and have changed the oil twice since I've had the car with full synthetic mobil 1. The first time I changed it I believe I put 5w-30 in and the second time I changed it I put 0w-20 in. Besides this point, it seems like I lose a quart of oil every 1k miles and I do not have any oil leaks. I had this issue with both oil weights I put in.

Now tonight I go to drive it and it throws the code again for the first time in about a week and now I have a misfire in cylinder 2 and 4.

I will be updating post as I troubleshoot. Please help me with the direction I should take after I do the wires incase this isn't the issue. Thanks for taking the time to help me and hopefully the issue isn't serious.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that when I pulled the plugs out they looked like perfect spark plugs, no deposits, they weren't oily etc.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
myslowgrandmacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 300551
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

The oil on the plug wires is from a leaking valve cover gasket. The oil in the spark plug hole is probably causing your misfire. I would fix the valve cover gasket and clean out the plug holes. then see what happens
mod maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
myslowgrandmacar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316137
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Pearl Blue

Ok, that will be my next step. Is the valve cover gasket leaking a common issue?
myslowgrandmacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 300551
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

^^^ yes it is.
mod maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Dr. Octawakaoctapus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 262003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
teal

Its a VERY common issuer unfortunately. When I reseal the V/C's I use syl-glyde on the Tube Seals in hopes to better their longevity.
Dr. Octawakaoctapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
DPDISXR4Ti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 110620
Vehicle:
1985 XRBrati

I just had this issue with a 2007 Forester, 77K. It was throwing a P0301 and 303 error, so #1 and #3 were mis-firing. I decided to replace the coil-pack, wires, and plugs and indeed the errors are gone and the engine runs much smoother.

I too have VC leaks at the tube seals, but I don't think that's the problem here since the leaking oil level isn't up as far as the contact point.
DPDISXR4Ti is offline   Reply With Quote