Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 31, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Huevo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183420
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default 2008 Impreza Headlamp bulbs

hey guys, i am pretty new here. just this last week i got my first suby and i am lovin it. i would like to buy new bulbs for the headlamps but i am not sure what size to get. i have looked in the owners manual and on the site but i cant find it. i am probably just retarded but does anyone know what kind i need to buy? i dont want to get the wrong bulb for my car. and also my car has to spots down low on the front for some fog lights. i would like to get those too but again i dont know what to put there. if you could please help me i would be very appreciative! thanks!

here is a front pic(notice the spots for the fog lights):
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Huevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Magic Marker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181568
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern New Jersey
Vehicle:
2011 3.6R Legacy LTD
Steel Silver Metallic

Default

Congrats on the purchase.
IMO, got OEM fogs. You know they'll fit just right. I have them and recommend them.



As far as bulbs, you know that they are covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? I don't plan on changing mine out until the warranty is over.
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Huevo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 183420
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default

so the OEM ones are the best for it? where do you get them?
Huevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Your owners manual should tell you what all the bulbs are, keep looking. Of course you can also pull a bulb out and look at it.
I do know that on the '08 the low beam bulbs are H11. There isn't much available in quality aftermarket upgrades and I'd suggest staying away from anything on Ebay especially if it has a blue coating.
If you feel that the stock lighting is not enough (can't comment since I haven't been in an '08 at night, or at all for that matter), you may want to check the aim first. Sometimes the factory will aim them improperly and there won't be enough light on the road. Aside from that, it is possible to install H9 bulbs into an H11 housing with a very minor modification to the H9 bulb. Doing so will net a significant increase in light output as the H9 is a 65W/2100 lumen bulb vs. the H11 at 55W/1350 lumens. As long as you do this using OEM-grade bulbs (i.e. Hella, Phillips), again not blue-coated ones, it should be a safe upgrade.
I put H9's in the low beams on my GTO which are also H11, and it did make a noticeable improvement.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Magic Marker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181568
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern New Jersey
Vehicle:
2011 3.6R Legacy LTD
Steel Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevo View Post
so the OEM ones are the best for it? where do you get them?
My fogs were factory installed since all OBS come standard with them. You can get the OEM kit from the dealer or www.subarugenuineparts.com.

As for lighting, I want to find out if the STi HID headlamps are a direct PNP with Imprezas across the board. It may cost a bit, but OEM is still best.
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
aboogabooga
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181127
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1999 Civic
Rust

Default

Pop the hood and its on top of the head light.
If you go HID, retrofitting is recommended (Although I didn't do it :P). I saw a STi the other day and it looked the same as mine, just that the line was a bit cleaner. There were still hot spots...
aboogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #7
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 That's *Sir*
Weinerlicks of Douche 2u.

Default

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=875.0

Get some H9s instead of the H11s and cut the extra little tab off the inside of the connector. H9s put out more light and have the same fitment (aside from the one little tab). I've been running H9s for two months with no issues (nobody flashing me) and much better night vision.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
gggplaya
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139444
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza
Dark Gray

Default

Get the OEM Fog Light kit because it comes with the steering wheel turn signal stalk with the fog light switch.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
curiousfish
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89283
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, NYC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Your owners manual should tell you what all the bulbs are, keep looking. Of course you can also pull a bulb out and look at it.
I do know that on the '08 the low beam bulbs are H11. There isn't much available in quality aftermarket upgrades and I'd suggest staying away from anything on Ebay especially if it has a blue coating.
If you feel that the stock lighting is not enough (can't comment since I haven't been in an '08 at night, or at all for that matter), you may want to check the aim first. Sometimes the factory will aim them improperly and there won't be enough light on the road. Aside from that, it is possible to install H9 bulbs into an H11 housing with a very minor modification to the H9 bulb. Doing so will net a significant increase in light output as the H9 is a 65W/2100 lumen bulb vs. the H11 at 55W/1350 lumens. As long as you do this using OEM-grade bulbs (i.e. Hella, Phillips), again not blue-coated ones, it should be a safe upgrade.
I put H9's in the low beams on my GTO which are also H11, and it did make a noticeable improvement.
does the 10W difference cause any type of damage down the line?
curiousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousfish View Post
does the 10W difference cause any type of damage down the line?
It shouldn't, as long as the bulbs used are OEM-grade. A bulb rated at the standard wattage but with a blue coating and overdriven filament can get hotter (and do more damage) than a non-coated one rated at a few watts higher. I haven't seen the wiring in an '08 but assuming it's similar to previous years, it may be somewhat marginal but able to handle the extra 10W. That said a wiring upgrade, particularly the addition of a direct ground for the lights, is a good idea and will improve the performance of even the stock bulbs.
FWIW I've had H9's in the H11 low beams of my GTO for almost two years now, with zero problems.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #11
shiggy6581
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180148
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Satin White

Default

has anyone tried the retro-fitting of another projector in the stock headlight housing on an 08?
shiggy6581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
basicwrc78
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 55715
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Basic78@gmail.com
Vehicle:
1956 Syrena 105
1985 126p protuned

Default

+1 for oems
basicwrc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Subarudave09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209316
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northshore
Vehicle:
14 XV
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevo View Post
hey guys, i am pretty new here. just this last week i got my first suby and i am lovin it. i would like to buy new bulbs for the headlamps but i am not sure what size to get. i have looked in the owners manual and on the site but i cant find it. i am probably just retarded but does anyone know what kind i need to buy? i dont want to get the wrong bulb for my car. and also my car has to spots down low on the front for some fog lights. i would like to get those too but again i dont know what to put there. if you could please help me i would be very appreciative! thanks!

here is a front pic(notice the spots for the fog lights):
get hids. low beam bulb size H11. www.cardomain.com user name subarudave99
Subarudave09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
bsikora
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125573
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
2006 2.5i
ProTune by Sean S.

Default

i dont know if they are the same but mine are H7 for low beams, H3 for fogs, and 9005 for high beam.
bsikora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
CRAZYHAWK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198067
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: RAMSEY, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 IMPREZA 2.5i 4d
WHITE Premium

Default

I replaced the H11 low beams in my 2009 Impreza with an HID kit.
I'm using the origonal projectors. They are like E-codes and are not
blinding oncomming traffic.

On the Audiforums, many of the members upgraded their H7 halogens
to HIDs with a kit from,

www.vvme.com


2008 SUBARU Impreza (4-door model)

Low beam headlamp
H11
H11ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H11XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

High beam headlamp
9005
9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light
CRAZYHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
Subarudave09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209316
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northshore
Vehicle:
14 XV
OBP

Default

HID is the Best way to go. they dont even compare to halogens. if u decide to do ur Highbeams make sure u disable ur DRL
Subarudave09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
Magic Marker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181568
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern New Jersey
Vehicle:
2011 3.6R Legacy LTD
Steel Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarudave09 View Post
HID is the Best way to go. they dont even compare to halogens. if u decide to do ur Highbeams make sure u disable ur DRL
Let's see your cutoff shots if you're running HID PnP in stock halogen projectors.
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #18
Spore
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100117
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarudave09 View Post
HID is the Best way to go. they dont even compare to halogens. if u decide to do ur Highbeams make sure u disable ur DRL
Has anyone told you that you couldn't be more wrong? Please stop misleading people with your false "facts". I would recommend you to keep that finger of yours away from the Submit Replay button and learn more before you start using it again.
Spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #19
CRAZYHAWK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198067
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: RAMSEY, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 IMPREZA 2.5i 4d
WHITE Premium

Default

Your high beams should stay halogen.
CRAZYHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #20
aubriea8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211703
Join Date: May 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Get the OEM Fog Light kit because it comes with the steering wheel turn signal stalk with the fog light switch.
agreed. best option.
aubriea8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #21
Subarudave09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209316
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northshore
Vehicle:
14 XV
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Marker View Post
Let's see your cutoff shots if you're running HID PnP in stock halogen projectors.
yea my main pic. check ur sources cuz HIDs with halogen projectors is perfectly fine.
Subarudave09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #22
Subarudave09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209316
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northshore
Vehicle:
14 XV
OBP

Default

Subarudave09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
Spore
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100117
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarudave09 View Post
yea my main pic. check ur sources cuz HIDs with halogen projectors is perfectly fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarudave09 View Post
You call that proper optics??? You've never seen a real HID projector beam, have you now? See how the center portion of your light is very bright and farther away from the center, it goes dim? That is call hot spot. See how you have light that is above the cutoff of the beam? That is call glare. I think people will like you more if you drive with your high beams on instead.

Since I'm too lazy to repeat myself, I just quoted what I've said earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spore View Post
Has anyone told you that you couldn't be more wrong? Please stop misleading people with your false "facts". I would recommend you to keep that finger of yours away from the Submit Replay button and learn more before you start using it again.
Spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #24
Subarudave09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209316
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northshore
Vehicle:
14 XV
OBP

Default

i doubt that cuz there are HIDs in my high beams also and thise a reflector housings. plus i have new 8000k bulbs so ill take pics tonight
Subarudave09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #25
XanRules
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 157348
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Benghazi
Vehicle:
1996 JNCO Jorts
Stonewashed Denim

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarudave09 View Post
i doubt that cuz there are HIDs in my high beams also and thise a reflector housings. plus i have new 8000k bulbs so ill take pics tonight
You don't see anything wrong with the picture you just posted? At all?

Good lord.

XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2008 impreza bulbs trckmastr Newbies & FAQs 9 05-21-2010 09:27 PM
I'm Upset....Please help w/ Headlamp Bulbs BigElm Interior & Exterior Modification 50 02-05-2005 11:49 AM
headlamp bulbs and fog bulbs. bratmantlz Interior & Exterior Modification 4 01-08-2002 07:28 PM
Opinions on Catz Zeta headlamp bulbs? Robmat Interior & Exterior Modification 2 03-27-2001 09:12 PM
Yellow headlamp bulbs Jgrahn555 Interior & Exterior Modification 0 03-14-2001 11:37 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.