Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
MK19
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21977
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Tahuya, WA
Vehicle:
Bear s like food

Default Rental Car Rally

Sounds pretty wacky to me:

A 60 team dash from NYC to Montreal using only rental cars (OK other cars are allowed too, but rental car use is encouraged). Entry is a paltry $150, but you're responsible for your expenses along the route. Buy-in does, however, include a huge blowout party on the night the rally ends.

http://wiimbledon.net/rentalcarrally/index2.html
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
psychoskip
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78408
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stix, VA
Vehicle:
All swOLdierS!
moUNt uP SiLlLies!

Default

Didn't they do that in jackass?

edit: i'm a dumbass.
psychoskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
WRXGuyInUSA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13967
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Nunya
Vehicle:
Bye Bye STI!!!

Default

I just did the ITN midnight rally a few weeks back, here near Bakersfield, CA...

A guy rented a brand new C6 Corvette to run the rally in... ended up going off a 100ft. cliff, rolling multiple times, and had to be airlifted out of the canyon, messed up pretty good.
WRXGuyInUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
St3fan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131131
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Zero Volkswagens

Default

St3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
ZMANNH25rs
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 9401
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bis dat, qui cito dat...
Vehicle:
. Truth is a
pathless land...

Default

That's not a very long rally...what would that take 8 hours or so ?
ZMANNH25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Integra96
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64196
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2010 Family Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3fan View Post


That's...epic.
Integra96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
orbit03
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2300
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Banana Pudding

Default

They used to run a rally from somplace in BC to Inuvik in February. I always wished I would have run that one...
orbit03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
St3fan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131131
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Zero Volkswagens

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post


That's...epic.
My best friend and I have it planned in 2010

In a mighty Bedford Rascal 1.0:

St3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Impreza88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 122950
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Salem, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANNH25rs View Post
That's not a very long rally...what would that take 8 hours or so ?
I'm not even sure it would take that long, I was just in that area, including Montreal and it's not a bad drive at all.
Impreza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
DrDRum
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41589
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Restless Genital Syndrome
Vehicle:
Suff erer Club
Founder (RGSSC)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3fan View Post
My best friend and I have it planned in 2010

In a mighty Bedford Rascal 1.0:

:BSFlag:
DrDRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
St3fan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131131
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Zero Volkswagens

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDRum View Post
:BSFlag:
Dunno, we did London to Istanbul in a Renault 5, - Know this is a big leap but we'll see how it goes I guess.

He's always been the one I've done the more stupid things with and this was about as stupid as we could find. We both have access to great corporate sponsorship opportunities and have flexible schedules.
St3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
DrDRum
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41589
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Restless Genital Syndrome
Vehicle:
Suff erer Club
Founder (RGSSC)

Default

I'll await the thred.

DRum
DrDRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
CheezeWeezle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17187
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fresno, CA
Vehicle:
2009 Braun Entervan
Gimpy White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3fan View Post
Facts and Figures from the 2005 rally

* 43 cars left London.
* 27 cars reached Mongolia.
* 14 cars reached the finish in Ulaanbaatar.
* 2 teams were robbed at knife point.
* 1 car snapped in half.
* 3 engines fell completely out of the cars.
* 1 team was held for 5 days in no-mans land.
* 1 team cycled 200km to get to the finish when their car gave in.
* 100's of tyres were blown.
* 1 team got engaged.
* 1 team found a 10ft deep pot hole.
* 1 team found a 25 tonne crane rolled by a pot hole.
* 3 teams attended weddings
* 1 team had to reverse up a mountain after losing all bar one forward gear
* 1 person spent 24 hours in a Kazakh jail charged with 5 crimes against the state.
* 1 person was stoned by a Mongolian nomad (who he then shot at with a gun).
* 1 team was rammed off the road after an argument over water melons.
* 1 person spent a day in a Turkish hospital.
* 3 people were banned from Turkmenistan for a year.
* As a result of an incident with a cow 1 person was detained by police in Azerbaijan and threatened with a beating from a dwarf.
* 2 cars flipped over in Mongolia.
* 3 teams were chased by armed bandits.
* 0 teams died


CheezeWeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
St3fan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131131
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Zero Volkswagens

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDRum View Post
I'll await the thred.

DRum
Dude, relax.

It's something we've sat down and looked at seriously. Planned it out as far as time, money, likelihood of success, fun vs horror payoff, etc... If there's the chance to do it and it doesn't **** up work/relationships and it can be funded easily, we'll do it. We do something together every year that's somewhat extreme - this seemed like a good way of celebrating being friends for 20 years.
St3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
St3fan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131131
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Zero Volkswagens

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezeWeezle View Post
Facts and Figures from the 2005 rally

* 43 cars left London.
* 27 cars reached Mongolia.
* 14 cars reached the finish in Ulaanbaatar.
* 2 teams were robbed at knife point.
* 1 car snapped in half.
* 3 engines fell completely out of the cars.
* 1 team was held for 5 days in no-mans land.
* 1 team cycled 200km to get to the finish when their car gave in.
* 100's of tyres were blown.
* 1 team got engaged.
* 1 team found a 10ft deep pot hole.
* 1 team found a 25 tonne crane rolled by a pot hole.
* 3 teams attended weddings
* 1 team had to reverse up a mountain after losing all bar one forward gear
* 1 person spent 24 hours in a Kazakh jail charged with 5 crimes against the state.
* 1 person was stoned by a Mongolian nomad (who he then shot at with a gun).
* 1 team was rammed off the road after an argument over water melons.
* 1 person spent a day in a Turkish hospital.
* 3 people were banned from Turkmenistan for a year.
* As a result of an incident with a cow 1 person was detained by police in Azerbaijan and threatened with a beating from a dwarf.
* 2 cars flipped over in Mongolia.
* 3 teams were chased by armed bandits.
* 0 teams died


The whole point is: Nothing compares to the Mongol Rally at any level. It's as stupid/hardcore/stupid/stupid as you can get!
St3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
GooseMan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2462
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles/Montreal
Vehicle:
2012 Volvo S60 T5
2005 Triumph Sprint ST

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANNH25rs View Post
That's not a very long rally...what would that take 8 hours or so ?

its about 5-6hrs...biggest problem is the border, where you can get thru in 10 mins or more than an hour!
GooseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
Dave
General of the
:unamused: army
 
Member#: 149688
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Joplin, MO
Vehicle:
2011 CTS-V Wagon
Silver

Default

This may be the funniest thing I have read all day


Quote:
* As a result of an incident with a cow 1 person was detained by police in Azerbaijan and threatened with a beating from a dwarf.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
Howl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57830
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ontario CA
Vehicle:
1999 OBS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit03 View Post
They used to run a rally from somplace in BC to Inuvik in February. I always wished I would have run that one...
That's probably the Alcan Winter Rally you're thinking about. It runs every two or three years. There is also the Alcan 5000, which is put on by the same people and runs from Portland OR to Alaska through BC. http://www.alcan5000.com/

This NY to Montreal "rally" isn't really a rally. It's a bunch of people driving up to Montreal for a party. I've organized similar type events for our local Subaru club - Toronto to Ottawa all on twisty back roads.

Last edited by Howl; 07-11-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #19
phyzical
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 56417
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: LA.Proper
Vehicle:
... Yes.
Yes I will.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuyInUSA View Post
I just did the ITN midnight rally a few weeks back, here near Bakersfield, CA...

A guy rented a brand new C6 Corvette to run the rally in... ended up going off a 100ft. cliff, rolling multiple times, and had to be airlifted out of the canyon, messed up pretty good.
I miss ITN. It's been a few years since I ran one of their rallies. My nav and I had a falling out.

I don't know why people show up with expensive cars to these things. For one some Kid around 18 years old showed up with his dad's 911... which is a little silly seeing as how some team in a PT cruiser kept winning.

Crazy about that Vette. How early on on did this happen? Did ITN stop the rally?
phyzical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #20
WRXGuyInUSA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13967
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Nunya
Vehicle:
Bye Bye STI!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyzical View Post
I miss ITN. It's been a few years since I ran one of their rallies. My nav and I had a falling out.

I don't know why people show up with expensive cars to these things. For one some Kid around 18 years old showed up with his dad's 911... which is a little silly seeing as how some team in a PT cruiser kept winning.

Crazy about that Vette. How early on on did this happen? Did ITN stop the rally?
Probably 3/4 way through... no, they didn't. Many didn't even know until the end.

Was my very first rally, but my navigator had done a few. We took 1st in our class and best overall!
WRXGuyInUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #21
phyzical
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 56417
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: LA.Proper
Vehicle:
... Yes.
Yes I will.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuyInUSA View Post
Was my very first rally, but my navigator had done a few. We took 1st in our class and best overall!
W00t! Not as easy as it sounds though, right? I was always really tired after those things. Best we ever did was 2nd and we left before the trophies were handed out.
phyzical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
WRXGuyInUSA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13967
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Nunya
Vehicle:
Bye Bye STI!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyzical View Post
W00t! Not as easy as it sounds though, right? I was always really tired after those things. Best we ever did was 2nd and we left before the trophies were handed out.
Yeah, it was 12-hours... started at 9PM, to 8:30AM...

I was dead tired when I got home (at 11:30am)...
WRXGuyInUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #23
orbit03
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2300
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Banana Pudding

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howl View Post
That's probably the Alcan Winter Rally you're thinking about. It runs every two or three years. There is also the Alcan 5000, which is put on by the same people and runs from Portland OR to Alaska through BC. http://www.alcan5000.com/

This NY to Montreal "rally" isn't really a rally. It's a bunch of people driving up to Montreal for a party. I've organized similar type events for our local Subaru club - Toronto to Ottawa all on twisty back roads.
That is the one. It looked like a lot of fun. Now that I'm married and a dad, I'm not sure I will be able to run it for quite awhile. I didn't think they were still running it.
orbit03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #24
cnw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 98395
Join Date: Oct 2005
Vehicle:
leg in one hand
brerb in the other

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3fan View Post
that

sounds










retarded and awesome at the same time
cnw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #25
Dougie01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 50216
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2005 Honda Insight
1993 Miata, 1953 CJ-3B

Default

Plenty of TSD road rallies are done in rental cars. It's not worth driving all the way across the country for a two day event, so they have rally computers that connect to the wheels.


http://www.tsdroadrally.com/Product_Detail.cfm?ID=5
Dougie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rental Car Rally ruckus racing Motorsports 6 05-28-2009 05:31 PM
Towing a car with a rental car?????? sanovichleo Off-Topic 37 10-23-2007 09:04 PM
Impreza rental car in Oahu ? NightmareOnSubySt Hawaii Impreza Club Forum -- HIIC 2 03-09-2001 01:34 AM
Rental Car question...not subie related. Apexboy North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 8 01-12-2001 05:18 PM
Rental cars s*ck dgosslin Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 0 12-11-2000 06:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.