Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
NJ Legacy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184630
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy SUS 2.5L
green

Subaru Stars new to forum and the Legacy

Hey guys, completely new here to the forum and to subaru's in general. i had a '04 silverado that unfortunatly got wrecked and i picked up a '99 subaru SUS 30th anniversary that i'v been told is a 2.5L, but hopefully when i post pics people will be able to help. Currently, over the years i hope to upgrade rims, tires, motor, exhaust, tranny, etc. First thing i'd like to do is swap out the stock automatic tranny for a manual. has anyone done this, and if so, what trannys fit? I'v been told that subarus are like legos, you can swap parts between some models, etc. And after looking at the pics i'v realized that people have body kits, etc. for their cars, where do you guys find bumpers, sideskirts, etc. that fit. I noticed some were STI, i wasn't aware that you could interchange body parts between models. Any help you could give a kid totally clueless about this model of car would be GREATLY appreciated (as you can see i'm quite lost lol)

Rich
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NJ Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
NJ Legacy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy SUS 2.5L
green

oh, p.s. it's a four-door model, so it's the sedan, not the wagon
Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
subiekid
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25516
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy TURBO!!!
EJ22T/TEC3 & '12 Civic

SUS stands for Sport Utility Sedan, it's an Outback in sedan form.

If you want to do a transmission swap you can read about them in the conversions forum, there are many threads with all the information that you will need. It's not an easy job, your best bet is to find a wrecked 95 to 99 Legacy with an MT and use it as a donor.

Body kits and aftermarket parts are hard to find for the 95 to 99 Legacy. If you wanted side skirts your best bet is to get a set from the 96 to 99 Legacy GT, but they might look kind of funny with the Outback front and rear bumpers.
subiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
NJ Legacy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy SUS 2.5L
green

ok, thanks for the info....as you can tell i'm new to this lol all the info i can get helps out a lot!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
REWZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184384
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy 30th Ltd
White

Hi. I'm new. This is my 1st post.

I have a 99. But as soon as I get two more posts, I will go ahead and describe it there, instead of here. Good luck with your swap, as you are most likely going to need it, and some band aids for your knuckles. Not to discourage you, as I will be attempting it on my other car someday soon. (89 Turbo Grand Prix)
REWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
NJ Legacy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy SUS 2.5L
green

yea i'm assuming it's going to be a pain in the a** lol. i mean, i'll give it a shot, it's going to take a while and a lot of work, but it'll be worth it in the end lol....and i never knew the sus was an outback sedan lol
Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
silentracer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 133136
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT LMT
Altlantic Blue SQC#?

It wont be worth it. Waste of time and money. If you want a manual just buy one.
silentracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
REWZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184384
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy 30th Ltd
White

Yeah, I mean I would just try to purchase a 5 speed Grand Prix, but they made 0 with the drivetrain I have. A car that came 5 spd I would certainly try to purchase. My Legacy is 5 spd and to be honest I don't think I would want one thats auto.

If you do swap just buy a donor with a bad engine or smashed up and park them side by side.
REWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
NJ Legacy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy SUS 2.5L
green

ok, i mean, i know people say it's not worth it, but there's no way i'll be able to aford a new car with the money i'd get for this car, and i like teh AWD cuz i snowboard and can't stand front or rear wheel when going to the mountain (i came from a 04 sliverado so the 4x4 or AWD is a must)
Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
NJ Legacy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy SUS 2.5L
green

plus, i took about a $15,000 dollar hit when i wrecked the car, barely got back what i paid for it and all the work, and i live on my own and needed the money for my place lol, some things come first, so i'd like to work with what i have
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
Jonathan
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4021
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT Ltd
Quick Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentracer View Post
It wont be worth it. Waste of time and money. If you want a manual just buy one.
The Legacy SuS was only manufactured as a 4EAT automatic. Subaru never made a 5-speed manual SUS.

They did, later on, make something called the "Outback sedan" that did have the manual transmission, however this was for the heavier BH series, not the 95-99 BD series Legacy.

Basically you will need a clutch master, a new pedal cage, a fly wheel & clutch assembly, a 5-speed transmission, and a (driveshaft from a 5-speed) and if the transmission final drive ratio is different from your current rear differential final drive, you will also need to swap the rear diff as well.

Not rocket science, but a fair amount of work is involved.

You could on the other hand find a 5 speed manual Legacy and simply swap suspension pieces to make a Legacy sedan into a SUS like vehicle, or even better, you could purchase a Legacy Outback WAGON with a 5-speed.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote