Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
MR.Snoopy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176543
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Des Moines WA
Vehicle:
2000 legacy 2.5gt
rio red

Legacy brake upgrade?

hello

i have a 2000 legacy 2.5 gt limited with a 5spd and i was wondering what are some good brake upgrades? i have heard you can make wrx brakes fit but i haven't found anything that shows me how? will they work or are there better options.

currently my car has DBA cross drilled rotors with hawk brake pads.

thanks- jason
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by MR.Snoopy; 07-25-2008 at 04:50 AM. Reason: bad spelling
MR.Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Kraziken
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38629
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Northwest
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT (STI)
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Snoopy View Post
hello

i have a 2000 legacy 2.5 gt limited with a 5spd and i was wondering what are some good brake upgrades? i have heard you can make wrx brakes fit but i haven't found anything that shows me how? will they work or are there better options.

currently my car has DBA cross drilled rotors with hawk brake pads.

thanks- jason
I believe your car already has brakes (at least in the rear) that are larger than the stock WRX.

You can put different Impreza brakes up front, but the bottom line is what are your goals? Are you looking for just some better feel in street applications? You didn't list it, but stainless steel lines help quiet a bit.

Larger brakes than what you have do offer better performance, but at a great detriment to your wallet.
Kraziken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
jamal
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71875
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montana
Vehicle:
98 2.5GT
my wheels fit

Default

this might help:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1265631

some wrx front brackets and rotors would be a simple upgrade.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
MR.Snoopy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176543
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Des Moines WA
Vehicle:
2000 legacy 2.5gt
rio red

Default

thanks for the imput. i don't have stainless steel brake lines yet. but they are on my "to do" list. my goal it to slowly imporve all the aspects of my car as money and time become available.

i figure you should work on the stopping. before you do anything to the motor.
MR.Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
jamal
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71875
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montana
Vehicle:
98 2.5GT
my wheels fit

Default

that mostly comes down to the tires. Then after that the pads, then fluid, then the brake calipers themselves, then the actual diameter of the rotors.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
ballitch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74907
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: salem, OR
Vehicle:
98 cam'd EJ251
Wrx Tranny,slowr than ish

Default

When I went to wrx fronts and H-6 rears, along with stainless lines all around, it made a huge difference. IIRC, the legacys didnt get the h-6 rears until 2004, so you still might have the stock wrx sized rear rotors. Cant say for the fronts, but you might have wrx size rotors in front.

But tires make the difference, of course if you have sticky tires and crappy pads, you tend to get yourself into trouble.....when your pads overheat and fade.


~Josh~
ballitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
rougeben83
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 115154
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT
White on grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballitch View Post
When I went to wrx fronts and H-6 rears, along with stainless lines all around, it made a huge difference. IIRC, the legacys didnt get the h-6 rears until 2004, so you still might have the stock wrx sized rear rotors. Cant say for the fronts, but you might have wrx size rotors in front.

But tires make the difference, of course if you have sticky tires and crappy pads, you tend to get yourself into trouble.....when your pads overheat and fade.


~Josh~
All 00-04 legacy's have the "h6" rear rotors. My 03 has it stock.

02+ GT's seem to have the WRX sized rotors in the front. L's got the smaller 10.7" rotor from 00-04 IIRC.
rougeben83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
MR.Snoopy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176543
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Des Moines WA
Vehicle:
2000 legacy 2.5gt
rio red

Default

guess im gonna have to pull off the wheel and find out what size front rotors i got before i buy the wrx brake stuff. thanks to everybody for there advice. any other sugestions on performance stuff that you have tried that works?
MR.Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #9
that one legacy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103665
Join Date: Dec 2005
Default

you might not have to deal with this, but i had to bleed my brakes like 15 times before they finally started to work right. i've heard other subaru owners complain about the same thing, but it doesn't seem to be a completely universal problem.

also, i have stainless steel brake lines for '02-'07 WRX fitment, snapped on just fine. i don't recall seeing if there was one specifically for a BH legacy, but you should be able to use the WRX lines as well (all that matters is the length).
that one legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
rougeben83
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 115154
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT
White on grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by that one legacy View Post
you might not have to deal with this, but i had to bleed my brakes like 15 times before they finally started to work right. i've heard other subaru owners complain about the same thing, but it doesn't seem to be a completely universal problem.

also, i have stainless steel brake lines for '02-'07 WRX fitment, snapped on just fine. i don't recall seeing if there was one specifically for a BH legacy, but you should be able to use the WRX lines as well (all that matters is the length).
for the fronts only. The rears require 2 brake lines each.

You need to bleed them in a specific order because of the way the brake line is setup (I think its rf, lr, lf, rr or something like that).

Basically any brake upgrade aside from the pads and lines are similar to the impreza brake upgrades.
rougeben83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:15 AM   #11
that one legacy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103665
Join Date: Dec 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougeben83 View Post
for the fronts only. The rears require 2 brake lines each.

You need to bleed them in a specific order because of the way the brake line is setup (I think its rf, lr, lf, rr or something like that).

Basically any brake upgrade aside from the pads and lines are similar to the impreza brake upgrades.
really? maybe a set of lines for an STi would work then, cause i think they have 2 lines on each as well.

i think you got the order right though, that's definitely important to remember. i think the first 3 times i did it in the wrong order, so maybe that's one reason i had to do it so many times.
that one legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
iluvdrt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46248
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: DRTY Autosports Denver, Co
Vehicle:
2012 outback 2.5
sky blue

Default

Could he use the WRX 4 pots/2pots. I am doing that (in process waiting on calipers in mail) to my 98? I think they bolt right on since the 4/2's use the same size rotor as the GT (98 WGN).
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #13
Kraziken
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38629
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Northwest
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT (STI)
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdrt View Post
Could he use the WRX 4 pots/2pots. I am doing that (in process waiting on calipers in mail) to my 98? I think they bolt right on since the 4/2's use the same size rotor as the GT (98 WGN).
He could, but I would only do it if you can get the 4 pot setup used. The change for the money involved is so minor, I don't think it is worth it. If you are going to buy the 4 pots new, you might as well as look at some Brembo's used from a STI.
Kraziken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
iluvdrt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46248
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: DRTY Autosports Denver, Co
Vehicle:
2012 outback 2.5
sky blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraziken View Post
He could, but I would only do it if you can get the 4 pot setup used. The change for the money involved is so minor, I don't think it is worth it. If you are going to buy the 4 pots new, you might as well as look at some Brembo's used from a STI.
Mine are free w/15k on them. I have heard they are mostly make the pedal feel better and add some bling.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
rougeben83
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 115154
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT
White on grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdrt View Post
Could he use the WRX 4 pots/2pots. I am doing that (in process waiting on calipers in mail) to my 98? I think they bolt right on since the 4/2's use the same size rotor as the GT (98 WGN).
Only the 4pots are straight bolt-on. I have them on my 03. The 2pots require a caliper adapter (around $200).
rougeben83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #16
jamal
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71875
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montana
Vehicle:
98 2.5GT
my wheels fit

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdrt View Post
Could he use the WRX 4 pots/2pots. I am doing that (in process waiting on calipers in mail) to my 98? I think they bolt right on since the 4/2's use the same size rotor as the GT (98 WGN).
rotors aren't the same.

a 98gt has 276x24mm fronts, 266x10 rears
the 4/2 pots are 294x24 front, 290x18 rear
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake Supersticky: brake upgrade FAQ, tech in, Brembo info, and other upgrades: ButtDyno Brakes, Steering & Suspension 22 08-17-2014 05:17 PM
The OFFICIAL Brake Upgrade / Big Brake Kit FAQ ! ButtDyno Brakes, Steering & Suspension 54 11-07-2011 09:39 AM
FS - MD: - H6 / DBA rear brake upgrade & 04 WRX rear brakes MD04WRX Suspension/Brakes/Handling 10 03-20-2009 03:46 PM
Stainless steel brake lines to match car model or brake upgrade? giantturtle Brakes, Steering & Suspension 7 02-06-2008 10:24 PM
Brake Upgrade or Turbo Upgrade?? Boosted1456 General Community 39 09-10-2006 12:25 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.