Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 1, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
New England Subaru Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
VerySlowRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171496
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
93 Civic VX 50+MPG

Default MA- How old does a car need to be exempt from registering with a title?

I bought my current CRX from NH and registered the car with the current owner registration and a bill of sale. I'm currently looking at buying another car today, from a MIT professor (71 yo, been on Jay Leno, etc for his teaching), and he currently waiting for the duplicate title to arrive. He said it should be 1-2 weeks. Well, I want to take the car in my possession today but can't find the age of the car exemption. Reason why I want to take it today because the price of the car is a steal, low mileage, fuel efficient (50+mpg), one owner, etc. and it is very popular among the hypermilers.

All I got from the RMV is this

Quote:
To Register and Title Vehicles Purchased from a Non-Dealer:

1. You must go to a licensed Massachusetts insurance agent to obtain an active insurance policy and have the agent complete, stamp and sign an Application for Registration and Title (RMV-1). If there is a lien against the vehicle, please make sure the lienholder information is complete and accurate.
  2. After verifying all information, sign the RMV-1 application. Along with the completed RMV-1 application, you must submit the following documents:
    • The previous owner's Certificate of Title, or
    • The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age.
      Note: If the title is from another state, and does not have a line on the back for the purchase price, you must submit both the previous title and a bill of sale.
  3. Federal and Massachusetts's laws require that the seller(s) state the mileage upon transfer of ownership. Also, both buyer(s) and seller(s) are required to sign and hand print their name and date the transfer document. If the previous title has a space for a sales price, the price must be filled in. If the previous title does not have a space for a sales price, a bill of sale showing the sales price must be submitted.
  4. Take the completed RMV-1 application and supporting documents to the nearest full service RMV center.
Also I'm going on vacation tomorrow morning, and don't want the car to be sold while I'm away. Best idea for now is to pay, take it home and park it in the driveway, and register it when I get back. If the car qualify for the exempt, I was thinking calling Progressive Ins. and get insurance and by the time I get back, the RMV-1 form should be in my mailbox. Otherwise I will have to wait 2-3 business days.
VerySlowRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
paultg
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 437
Vehicle:
'91 Miata MX5 (Red)
'09 Impreza OBS (Blk/Gry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySlowRS View Post
Best idea for now is to pay, take it home and park it in the driveway, and register it when I get back.
I don't know the answer to your question; but I sold a car and had to wait for th e title; the buyer had the option to:

1. Take the car
2. Insure it (you can do this without registering it; just call your company)
3. Wait

If you are this worried, that is what I'd do. Don't give all the money either, keep a bit on the table until you get the title. Leave a large deposit and see if he will let you take/insure the car.

Paul G.
paultg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
paultg
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 437
Vehicle:
'91 Miata MX5 (Red)
'09 Impreza OBS (Blk/Gry)

Found this:
Quote:
Massachusetts Title Law went into effect on September 1, 1972. This law requires that all motor vehicles and trailers be titled within ten (10) days of purchase. Passenger vehicles with a model year of 1980 and older, purchased before November 26, 1990 are exempt from titling. Any vehicle purchased after November 26, 1990 must be titled, excluding the following:

* A vehicle owned by the United States, unless registered in accordance with the provisions of chapter ninety (90).
* A vehicle owned by a manufacturer or dealer and held for sale even though incidentally moved on a highway or used for purposes of testing or demonstration, or a vehicle used by a manufacturer solely for testing.
* A vehicle owned by a nonresident of the Commonwealth for which a currently effective certificate of title has been issued in the state of residence.
* A vehicle on loan from the United States Government or from a vehicle manufacturer or distributor to the Commonwealth or a political subdivision thereof.
* A vehicle regularly engaged in the interstate transportation of persons or property for which a currently effective certificate of title has been issued in another state or country.
* A vehicle moved solely by animal power.
* An implement of husbandry.
* Special mobile equipment.
* A self-propelled wheelchair or invalid tricycle.
* A trailer with a gross weight of three thousand (3000) pounds or less.
* A manufactured (mobile) home, as defined in Massachusetts General Law (MGL) c.140, 32Q.
From http://www.mass.gov/rmv/titles/index.htm
paultg is offline   Reply With Quote