Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 3, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
amorton
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 72798
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS Sedan
Blue Ridge Pearl

Default High Compression turbo motor "looking for the right combination"

So I want to build up a new motor for the race car I will be flowing through a 34mm restrictor so the typical high hp combinations are out I need to considerate on torque. I would like to run E85 if possible and will tune it with an Autronic. I would also like to be able to build another one quickly if it works well So I would like to avoid extensive machining and excessive amounts of one off parts or hard to find parts. I have two avenues of thought right now. EJ25 block stock bore stock crank more than likely forged rods and custom coated 12.0:1 or higher compression pistons. The other idea would be an EJ22T block STI crank forged rods and again 12:1 or higher pistons. Problem with the 2.2 is they are harder to find and would require more effort to build. STI AVCS heads or basic non AVCS WRX heads with a port job and cams. Valve springs and retainers can remain stock I donít think the motor will ever see much past 5K in RPM so valve float is a non issue. stock headers custom up pipe with a clocked turbo for easy access. I would like to run a small quick spooling turbo, ball bearing being a necessity for longevity. Again I am looking for torque no HP in this motor and with a restrictor the turbo needs to be small and come on quick. Ideally I wand 400 lbs of torque, that number is not set in stone but more a goal to achieve within reason.

The main requirements for the motor are: needs to build good torque with a 34mm restrictor. Needs to use readily available parts to both keep the price down and facilitate building multiple engines quickly I donít want to have to source oddball turbo or JDM parts that I cant always get my hands on. Simplicity. The more simple I can keep the motor the better, reliability is a big issue for me and complex motors break. Turbo needs to be ball bearing and have a quick spool time. The turbo is a maintained part but I still want it to last more than one race. Ideally I want to run on E85 it is cheap and readily available around here. Race gas is expensive and I donít have a good place to store it. Girlfriends HOA's donít like big 50 gallon drums of fuel sitting about. parts like turbo back, intercooler, radiator, ect will all be custom donít bother with these parts, routing end up dictating size with thease parts. So given what I want to do and what my restrictions are help me build a theoretical motor. The things I mentioned are not set in stone they are just what I think will get me in the ball park. What do you think?
amorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

will the rules allow you to run e85 on the standard 34mm restrictor? if so, sweet!!!

if you are wanting tq, the short rod EJ25 will be the ticket but will choke sooner.
If you wanted to stretch choke rpm a bit further (gearing), the EJ22t would be more up for the ticket as each cylinder has a slower "fill-rate" and a smaller flowrate needed at the same given rpm.
Ultimately the EJ22 will give a bit more hp than the EJ25 and a slightly broadened operating range. the trade off being spool up/low rpm torque. That doesn't matter too much if you are running anti-lag though.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
amorton
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 72798
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS Sedan
Blue Ridge Pearl

Yes E85 is fine for RA and NASA events so I have no problems there. You really only run into issues with Meth Nitro and Nitrous. We will also be running Anti lag once we can get a solid stae tune out of it.
amorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

my vote would be the EJ22 (or similar ) then for the sake of having a broadened powerband. The only way I would choose the EJ25 is if off corner acceleration was much more important than time in gear for a straight line.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote