Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
TurboQueef
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86700
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Silver/Black,11.44@123.60

Default 400 WHP, 24.5psi on 93 octane, no meth???

Hum..

Through tuning one step at a time, I have been able to get just over 400 WHP on 93 octane with no meth.

I am very surprised that I can get this kind of performance with no race fuel or meth so I want to find out if anyone else has achieved same result.

Details:

Performance related mods include:
276 / 272 cams, 1mm oversize valves, ST valvetrain kit
FP Red
Ultimate EWG
APS 70mm CAI, DR725 FMIC,
Perrin EL header
Megan 3" Turboback
I tune with StreetTUNER & RomRaider using the stock ECU

WX conditions: mid 70's F, low humid

AFR is 11.2

Boost is 24.5 and timing at peak boost is 12~14. I can get 16.5 timing advance at redline.

EGT is 1580~1590

My specific question:

I would like to know if anyone with a built engine simular to mine (performance mod's) has tuned for 93 octane pump. If so, I would like to know:
*What HP / TQ did you get
*What is your max timing advance
*What peak EGT to you expierence during a 4th gear pull
Thanks a bunch,

jb
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TurboQueef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
mick_the_ginge
Citizen Mick

Member#: 27646
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2003 Sleeved 2.5
Oil Dry Sump Goodness

That's nothing special for a red IMO (I've tuned a couple on both 92 octane and race gas) but I have a couple of questions for you. Where are you reading boost? 24.5 is very much like the stock MAP sensor max value. Are you reading this boost off the stock sensor or someplace else?

Not that it matters as 24/25 psi is about right for 400 WHP. I just want to know if you are sure you are running 24.4 psi.

16.5 degrees of timing at redline tells me you need octane and that it's only a matter of time before you post a smoking engine thread. It shoudl be more like 19/20 even on 93 octane and if you can't hold 19/20 degrees tells me you have pushed the boost too far for the octane (IMO)

Your EGT's look low, where is the sensor?
mick_the_ginge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Defiantspaz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 101100
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
04 WRX STi
WR Blue Pearl

04 STI stock block and heads, stock transmission.

Mods:
APS SR55
APS 65mm CAI
APS DR725 FMIC
APS 3.5" exhaust, really loud!
XX Tuning Header w/ Up-pipe
XX Tuning Fuel Rail Kit
PE 850cc Injectors
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Cobb AP tuned by Tony @ XX Tuning
Blitz SBDi-d III
One Step Colder Plugs
STI Hardened Motor Mounts
STI Hardened Transmission Mount
Exedy Stage 2 Cerametalic Clutch
Driveshaft Shop Rear Axles
Perrrin Oil Catch Can

From my post: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=sr55

I just got my Cobb AP tuned at XX Tuning. Tony did a fine job of sorting threw any issues that popped up an tune the car so it idles and runs smooth. The power comes on alot faster than it did with the UTEC. The Cobb AP definetly has more flexibility than the UTEC system.

The run was made @ 22PSI of boost on 93 octane fuel. I was hoping for 400WHP and 400WTQ on 93 octane, came close once with 399.3WHP and 405WTQ. The final numbers were 398WHP and 425WTQ, 2WHP shy of my goal but the car is tuned safe and that is more important that pushing just to hit a number.

The car pulls strong and holds 380WHP at 6800RPM, highest RPM shown by the dyno. The smoothness of the car is amazing too. If you drive under normal condition it almost feels stock, except for the exhaust note. The power comes on smooth and just keeps building. The SR55's power delivery is very predictable and easy to use. Funny how the car hides it's speed, before you know it you are going way to fast for the road that you are on.

We did a Powermist map but scrapped it because at 26 PSI I only made 418WHP and 453WTQ. The extra PSI didn't yeild the big payoff so I am waiting to do pistons and then retune with C16. The car made more midrange on the powermist fuel but lost top end power to the 93 octane map. Heatsoak could have had something to do with it but Tony said that the powermist just doesn't produce the numbers like C16 will.

Sorry I don't have a 24PSI tune to compare to yours. The FP RED is a bigger turbo than the SR55 and to be honest at 24PSI I would expect you to be make well over 400WHP, especially with headwork and cams.
Defiantspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
TurboQueef
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_the_ginge View Post
That's nothing special for a red IMO (I've tuned a couple on both 92 octane and race gas) but I have a couple of questions for you. Where are you reading boost? 24.5 is very much like the stock MAP sensor max value. Are you reading this boost off the stock sensor or someplace else?

Not that it matters as 24/25 psi is about right for 400 WHP. I just want to know if you are sure you are running 24.4 psi.

16.5 degrees of timing at redline tells me you need octane and that it's only a matter of time before you post a smoking engine thread. It shoudl be more like 19/20 even on 93 octane and if you can't hold 19/20 degrees tells me you have pushed the boost too far for the octane (IMO)

Your EGT's look low, where is the sensor?

Hi... Thanks for the reply..
  • I am reading boost at my boost gauge (Omori)
  • EGT sensor is 1" down #2 pipe on my Perrin EL header
This engine has really surprised me with very low timing values as compared to stock. Do you get 19 to 20 even with cams?

jb
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
TurboQueef
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiantspaz View Post
04 STI stock block and heads, stock transmission.

Mods:
APS SR55
APS 65mm CAI
APS DR725 FMIC
APS 3.5" exhaust, really loud!
XX Tuning Header w/ Up-pipe
XX Tuning Fuel Rail Kit
PE 850cc Injectors
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Cobb AP tuned by Tony @ XX Tuning
Blitz SBDi-d III
One Step Colder Plugs
STI Hardened Motor Mounts
STI Hardened Transmission Mount
Exedy Stage 2 Cerametalic Clutch
Driveshaft Shop Rear Axles
Perrrin Oil Catch Can

From my post: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=sr55

I just got my Cobb AP tuned at XX Tuning. Tony did a fine job of sorting threw any issues that popped up an tune the car so it idles and runs smooth. The power comes on alot faster than it did with the UTEC. The Cobb AP definetly has more flexibility than the UTEC system.

The run was made @ 22PSI of boost on 93 octane fuel. I was hoping for 400WHP and 400WTQ on 93 octane, came close once with 399.3WHP and 405WTQ. The final numbers were 398WHP and 425WTQ, 2WHP shy of my goal but the car is tuned safe and that is more important that pushing just to hit a number.

The car pulls strong and holds 380WHP at 6800RPM, highest RPM shown by the dyno. The smoothness of the car is amazing too. If you drive under normal condition it almost feels stock, except for the exhaust note. The power comes on smooth and just keeps building. The SR55's power delivery is very predictable and easy to use. Funny how the car hides it's speed, before you know it you are going way to fast for the road that you are on.

We did a Powermist map but scrapped it because at 26 PSI I only made 418WHP and 453WTQ. The extra PSI didn't yeild the big payoff so I am waiting to do pistons and then retune with C16. The car made more midrange on the powermist fuel but lost top end power to the 93 octane map. Heatsoak could have had something to do with it but Tony said that the powermist just doesn't produce the numbers like C16 will.

Sorry I don't have a 24PSI tune to compare to yours. The FP RED is a bigger turbo than the SR55 and to be honest at 24PSI I would expect you to be make well over 400WHP, especially with headwork and cams.
Thanks for the reply, you have a very nice set up...

Actually, I miss typed above... the 407 / 320 was at 22psi... I am waiting for the numbers at 24.. You can see there is an issue with the TQ.. only 320.. I think that issue went away when I increased boost to 24!

I spoke with Ron (engine builder) and he told me not to run over 21psi with 93 octane. He said even though it is making lots of power, the pressures in the cyl's is too high when I push past 21psi. This is due to the 93 octane fuel burning faster than race fuel causing a heavy hit of power rather than a long burn. As a result, I turned the boost down until I install the meth injection system.

I really want to get back to running 24psi.. it is wicked when boost comes on. I about $hit when I ran it through the gears the first time and the tires broke loose in 1st gear at 5K RPM and I wacked the rev limiter.