|08-18-2008, 04:35 PM||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boulder, COVehicle:
2005 LGT, CBR Race
Car isnt starting - need help
My car is a 98 impreza with an 06 wrx swap. everything mechanical in the car is from the wrx as is the wiring harness. I had to pull the engine to do some head work on the car, but now the engine is back in and bolted up. However, right now, for some reason, i cant get the car to start.
The car would crank and start before i pulled the engine, so i can't seem to figure out what the problem might be.
Here is what i have found
- started clicks once and all the lights and stuff go off inside the car as long as the key is held to the starting position
- the battery cables get hot for some reason, no smoke, but they get pretty hot
- the little black clip that goes on the starter along with the main battery cables is properly plugged in
- my battery is good and was fully charged before i tried starting again
- I am 98% sure i hooked up the battery cables to the starter properly, i can't see another way they would go
- all the wires in the car are properly grounded and connected, as are the battery cables themselves
- i had the starter tested once and it passed but the guy said it sounded weak, not sure if that mattered or not
I am going to get the starter tested again today just in case, but otherwise, i dont know what to do or whats wrong, and i'd love to hear my car start again
thanks in advance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|08-20-2008, 02:51 AM||#2|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, CAVehicle:
2008 WRX STi
Laguna Seca Blue
Since you mentioned that the battery cables get hot, it seems to me that there is bind in the starter. The reason the cables get hot is because it is trying to turn the flywheel (on manual trans or flexplate on auto trans) by the way of the starter.
1st. Check and see if you can turn the crank over by hand using a 1/2" drive ratchet and a 24mm socket ( I believe ) on the crank pulley bolt. Turn it clockwise there will be some resistance, but you should be able to turn. If it doesn't turn then there is a bind in the motor.
If it turns then most likely the starter or the starter solenoid is bad. (Assuming that all the other wiring is hooked up correctly. )
Also even though you mentioned that the battery was charged before starting, try starting the car with a battery bump box or a battery charger connected to the battery. Your battery might not be holding the charge that you put in it.
Hope this helps.
|08-20-2008, 03:04 PM||#3|
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central NJVehicle:
2001 I've wired a
Few cars in my day
This question was asked on the other forum.
The ground cable from the battery was connected to the wrong part of the car and has been corrected and the car now lives.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Car wont start!! Need Help ASAP||karlg||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||5||04-10-2005 08:49 PM|
|Car wont start!! Need Help ASAP||karlg||General Community||1||04-10-2005 03:15 PM|
|Car Won't start!! Need Help!!||Rippa||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||13||08-02-2004 05:43 AM|
|my car wont start - need help||phestik||Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC||9||07-22-2002 12:41 PM|
|My car won't start need help immediately!!||Chung||Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC||14||06-19-2002 10:55 PM|