Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Mindravel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 189540
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Dark Blue

Lightbulb STI Engine Swap Electrical Differences?

Does anyone know what electrical differences or what I would need to change to put an 04 STI Engine into a 2002 WRX. I will have the ECU and full engine wire harness. The only thing I am wondering is except for the wire harness and ecu is there going to be anything else that I need to change to match the new engine and wiring to my original (OEM) electrical for my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am really sure someone else has done this.

Thanks

Sorry I just found the threads for swapping engines. I didn't see them before that is why i posted it under electrical. If a moderator would want to move this to the motor conversion/swap threads it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Mindravel; 09-19-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Mindravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Complacent_One
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 163633
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 RIP '02 Wagon
PSM

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1585448

Rifle through the last twenty or so threads in the conversion forums. You are bound to find what you are looking for.
Complacent_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Mindravel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Dark Blue

Yea I read that whole thread and I do believe the one that was stickied below it. Mostly the swaps they were talking about were the 1.8 RS motor to the EJ20. The other thread was talking about putting an 07 STI motor into an 03 WRX just like mine. But with the 07 STI motor they had all the problems with the immobilizer system which the 04 STI motor I have doesn't have the immobilizer system. I looked all through the forum and have found nothing about an 04 STI motor going into just a regular WRX. Guess I will have to find out the hard way and post it up here for anyone else thinking about doing the same.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Complacent_One
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 RIP '02 Wagon
PSM

Sorry for the wrong link. I just finished my 04STI into a 02 WRX Wagon. If you can be a little more specific with the questions I will do my best to answer.....ie post a list of questions and I will paste answers to it.

The swap is fairly straight forward, just happen to be a bit on the tedious side..
Old 09-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Mindravel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Dark Blue

I answered this question!!!

Last edited by Mindravel; 09-21-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Mindravel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Dark Blue

Answered this one too....amazing what you can do when you read!!!

Last edited by Mindravel; 09-21-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
Mindravel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Dark Blue

Complacent_One,

I knew you sounded familiar when you said something about the 04 STI into the 02 Wagon. I read your thread about 3 days ago and you were actually the one who got me worried. But also just the person I needed to talk to at the same time. You said in your thread that you had to change the wiring in your dash? Did you do that because you had a wagon or for the simple fact that the STI ECU and wire harness are totally different than what we have in our 02 WRX. Also did you run into any problems with the DBW? I am still trying to find exactly what that is at the moment. Also, did you use any of your old parts off of your EJ20 or did you use all STI parts from the 04?
Old 09-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #8
Mindravel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Dark Blue

Ok hopefully you didn't read all those other threads I posted as I have answered my own questions now that I have found the other threads posted.

So to use the STI ECU and Engine harness off of the 04 STI I am going to need the instrument cluster as well as the harness and the HVAC from the 04 STI. I see where you had to also put in the DBW gas pedal and I seen the adaptor plate. Is there maybe anything else I am missing? Also I think I read that if I use the Instrument cluster and all wiring harnesses from the STI that I won't need to get an aftermarket DCCD controller for my new 6MT? Everything should be plug in play as long as I change the instrument cluster with harness, engine wire harness and ECU correct?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Complacent_One
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 RIP '02 Wagon
PSM

When you do the swap, you should be planning to swap out the entire car harness. That is from headlights to taillights.

The tranny should be plug and play, and you will not need an aftermarket controller if using the 04 STI ECU and wiriing harness. You will need the DCCD controls for the center console.