Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
oooo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 92367
Vehicle:
1995 legacy

Default impreza 2.2 clutch swap to 2.5 clutch kit options

I have a 97 2.2 impreza wagon that is getting a 2.5 engine swapped in. With the extra power and the larger tires I am putting on, I don't want any clutch slipping, so I was wondering if a 2.5 clutch kit will work and if so which ones and what year clutch kit do I need to order. My transmission is cable operated and I think 2.5 kits are hydualic. Or does that not matter. Would a 2.5 clutch kit from say a 96gt or 97 gt work because I think they might be cable operated(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) I think they switched to hydro in 98-99. Also would I need the 2.5 flywheel. During summer It will be used for camping and fire trails, maybe some light offroading. It will be lifted and running 27.5-28 inch mud terrians. During winter I will use a 27.5 inch mild all terrain. Using it for transportation for work and offroading and snowboarding trips. So I am thinking if its possible use the 2.5 clutch because with the extra 30hp and 30ft-lbs of torque with the larger tire, it will be strained. Or will the regular 2.2 clutch be fine. If anybody knows the exact kit that will bolt right in plus post up. Plus later on I want to swap in the 4.11 transmission from a 96-97 outback or gt, so I figured a 2.5 kit will be needed, and since I need a clutch now it would be better to have to pay for a new clutch kit once.

Thanks in advance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

You can use any 2.5RS clutch kit. Your cable operated trans still pushes on the pressure plate exactly the same as the hydraulic setup. I really like the ACT SB-011 plate with a stock organic disc. High clamp force with a forgiving disc that lasts a good long time. You don't have to change the flywheel unless yours is in need of replacement.

Since you're running such large tires and will be offroading a bit, I might suggest that you look into a trans from a Brighton. It has the same final drive ratio of (3.90:1), but the 2/3/4/5 ratios are shorter, which will pull you up the trails a bit better than the longer geared trans you currently have. Another (more involved) option would be to swap in a 2.5RS trans along with a rear diff (viscous LSD on 00-01 models) to get those same shorter gears and a shorter (4.11:1) final drive. Better LSD's than the stock viscous unit are available and interchangable.....just a bit expensive.

Good luck, the EJ25 will be quite fun in that wagon!
Jay Storm
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote