Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Blaze-65
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 190655
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
Aspen White

Default What class would I be in and what are some tips?

I've been wanting to get into autox and possibly even be competitive in the hopefully not so far future. I just bought a 04 wrx though and wanted to know what class I would fall in. The previous owner installed an STI intercooler, STI exhaust, and a K&N filter. I'm also wondering if any of that will push me out of a class that I should try to stay in. Also where do I buy an SCCA rulebook, because once I know what class im in i'll probably want to do a lot more reading on it all. I did read the "AUTOX Super Thread " but it didn't state it outright and hopefully I don't get flamed haha. Thanks in advance guys!

Edit : Oh yeah I also wanted to add that my hood has a nasty punched size dent right by the badge. I am thinking of taking it to a body shop to look at it but if i have to buy a replacement, would a carbon hood move my classing or change anything? Thanks again.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Blaze-65; 10-03-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Blaze-65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken

Member#: 238
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
99 Ver6 Recreation
JDM Speedwagon 3 LSDs..:)

ESP for you since you got a bigger i/c than stock...

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Web Foot STi
Scooby Guru

Member#: 39086
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

Different hood = SM.

Here is a little light reading:

http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=61

The 2009 rules are not out yet.
Web Foot STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
steveRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180430
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2008 335i

Do not get a carbon fiber hood. That will put you in SM and you will need to tinker with the car A LOT to get it competitive.

Go get a stock intercooler and then you can run DS or STX.

DS- race tires,stock wheel size, shocks, bigger FSB, cat back exhaust

STX-street tires, wider wheels, exhaust, intake, ecu, coilovers, fsb and rsb, bushings
( I probably missed something in there)

2008 solo rules
http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo%2...lo_Rules_2.pdf
steveRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
leecea
Scooby Guru

Member#: 37359
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Run the car as-is for an event or two. You won't be competitive at first anyway and you can see if you like it before buying anything. If you get hooked, follow the advice above to stay in a reasonable class.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Blaze-65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
Aspen White

sounds good guys, my next local area event is on the 18th. I love the car so far but I can't wait to really open her up. This transmission is a lot better then my former ride, I definitely want time to get used to that or im afraid ill burn it up.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

I've run two auto-x events recently and I really like it. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can.

These guys are right. Don't do any mods towards auto-x until you try it out first to see if you like it.

Also, as a first timer FT and then a rookie RT, you are allowed to run on street tires as long as they have a minimum tread wear rating of 140 and are no wider than 225. Or at least this is what I recall reading.

My car is modded, but not originally for auto-x or for any santioned event or arena for that matter.

I have added a lip and an 2007 STI LTD wing to my WRX. They do not enhance the performance of the car for auto-x, so these exterior mods are nothing.

I have chassis and suspension mods that, after having read the rule book, still allows me to be compliant and run in STU class. I can at least make a good arguement to the facts about them.

I have silicone hoses for my intake, and a lightened crank pulley that is of stock size and continues to use the stock serpentine style belts. I have no engine/drivetrain/ECU mods. I have a Cobb exhaust that is below the 90dB limit so I'm compliant there.

I don't run for the points. I run to test my skills, watch other drivers, pick up tips, and meet with existing friends and acquaintances as well as to meet new people and fellow enthusiasts.

For now, since you have a 2004 WRX w/2.0L, put yourself into STX. At least you will be in a class that most average competitors that don't do any real mods to their cars would/might be in. Run auto-x for a season and then figure out what class you should be in and what mods will do what with respect to putting you into another class.

Just go have fun. When you get serious and into season 2, then think about it.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
-OneWay-
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70128

Not sure if using the lighter Aluminum hood from an STi is legal in STX but it's another option if you plan on replacing. easier to find. easier to get color matched and lighter than CF hoods.
-OneWay- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Blaze-65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
Aspen White

Yeah I'm not going to try to be competitive for a while, but I want to start getting ready for next season by getting things in line. Oh and I would hate showing up to Auto-x and just making them figure out what I would run in. It's a new car for me so I want to start getting the simple stuff in line.

I also discovered a receipt for what appears to be STI injectors flow testing, and a walbro fuel pump. I'm thinking of purchasing some manuals unless someone knows of an online resource available to use or download. I need to check to see if these are actually still in the car or if it was set back to stock. I'm getting some boost leak from the throttle body to intercooler hose so I'm looking at purchasing the Perrin Intercooler Hose Kit. I'm imagining that the kit and the injectors would not change my classing.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Squidz
Scooby Guru

Member#: 142608
Vehicle:
2003 Sonic Yellow
Marginally well behaved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OneWay- View Post
Not sure if using the lighter Aluminum hood from an STi is legal in STX but it's another option if you plan on replacing. easier to find. easier to get color matched and lighter than CF hoods.
The aluminum hood would be legal, because the WRX and STi came with the exact same hoods. The WRX has an aluminum hood as well, same part # as the STi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-65 View Post
Yeah I'm not going to try to be competitive for a while, but I want to start getting ready for next season by getting things in line. Oh and I would hate showing up to Auto-x and just making them figure out what I would run in. It's a new car for me so I want to start getting the simple stuff in line.

I also discovered a receipt for what appears to be STI injectors flow testing, and a walbro fuel pump. I'm thinking of purchasing some manuals unless someone knows of an online resource available to use or download. I need to check to see if these are actually still in the car or if it was set back to stock. I'm getting some boost leak from the throttle body to intercooler hose so I'm looking at purchasing the Perrin Intercooler Hose Kit. I'm imagining that the kit and the injectors would not change my classing.
Don't assume things like that. Autocross is kinda wierd with some of their rules, i have been running SM in my 03 WRX for about three years now, and still i am amazed at some of the things that pop up. Injectors/fuel system changes can certainly bump your class up. As for the hoses, you never know...I have seen stranger things

The other thing, is at local events, and especially for a Novice, noone is really going to care what class your car is in or what you have on it. Like stated above, go out, drive a couple times and enjoy yourself...Trust me, there is plenty of time to get obsessed with being competitive.
Squidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
leecea
Scooby Guru

Member#: 37359
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

I believe intercooler hoses = ESP. Also, injectors and pump = ESP.

Of course, rules do change and I get out of date, so check.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote