Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
JT99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 177036
Vehicle:
1999 OBS
Green

Question Please Help w/ TPS and FI Wiring Splice > EJ25 to EJ22

I'm getting close to actually being somewhere with my swap...or at least until I hit another wall. I've got a 99 Legacy Outback wagon. The DOHC EJ25 was yanked out and a phaseII EJ22 from a 2000 Impreza is now in the engine bay. I've swapped the EJ25 wiring harness onto the EJ22 engine. I have a couple issues with needing to swap/splice plugs between the two, however. One is with the Throttle Position Sensor plug and the second is with the fuel injector plugs. If you help me find the for-sure correct answer, I'll mail you a beer. (That's illegal, though...)

Anyway, the TPS. Both are three pin. Of course the wire colors don't match, but I'm hesitant to assume that the hot wire on pin 1 for the 2.5 would be the hot pin for the 2.2's sensor. I need help finding which wires to correctly splice with which between the EJ25 harness and the EJ22 plug.

Here's the EJ25's plug with the EJ22's. On the top wire of the top plug, that's a white/red wire. On the bottom plug in the middle is white. The lighting made white look yellowed on these.

EJ22 on left, EJ25 on right.

Now, issue number two: the plugs that go into the injectors. Obviously the DOHC EJ25 and the EJ22 use different injectors and the plugs that go into them are different. So, I need to splice in the EJ22 plugs onto the EJ25 harness. Anyone know for each of these engines which color is hot and which is neg??? Both plugs have a yellow wire, but my guess--based on the positioning of the plug when snapped onto each injector, is that these yellows should be opposite each other on the splice. I dunno...

2.5 on top and 2.2 on bottom.

2.2 on left and 2.5 on right.

I've referred to this as a Frankenstein swap, both cars are green, and Halloween is coming up, so I want to get this running before then...hope you can help.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JT99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
JT99
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 OBS
Green

Didn't know if these would help. Have no idea about the top one on the EJ22. The EJ25 is easy to get make and part number.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

I'm working on your TPS answer over at rs25.com....but the injector plug issue is a non-issue. Take a hobby knife and slice off the side tabs on the top feed injectors and then plug them in. They still click into the retainer, and there isn't enough room to put the plugs on backwards. The yellow/____ wire is the hot side, it will be the common color to all 4 injectors.

I really suggest getting ahold of some wiring diagrams.

Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
JT99
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 OBS
Green

Yeah--you caught me "cheating" on rs25...

I'm in the process of hunting down pdf service manuals.

Thanks for the injector help! I'll cross that off the list this afternoon...
Old 10-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Storm
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

Okay, so my colors don't match yours......I did some digging in my stash of .pdf's and found that 96-98 all use the same wiring with different colors on the pins. Pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is signal and pin 3 is power. On the 2000 model, I have pin 1 (red) as power, pin 2 (black) as ground and pin 3 (white) as signal.

I don't have any .pdf's for the 99's.......

Knowing this, you can backprobe each pin to determine which is what. The ground pin will ohm out to ground. Power should read +5v when key is on and not change with throttle movement. The signal will read less than +5v and change with throttle movement.

Jay
Old 10-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
JT99
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 OBS
Green

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I got ahold of the wiring diagram for the harness that I have, but nothing yet on the sensor plug wires from the 2000.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Storm
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

I gave you the color code for the 2000. Red is power, Black is ground and white is the signal.

Jay