Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #226
dnorton
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 218997
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jax
Vehicle:
07 WRX Mikey Tuned
JE/FSR built,35r 1300c

Default

Just installed my VF-48 on my 07 WRX Wagon with these mods. Lager TMIC,650cc Injectors,TBE With high flow cat, Exhaust Mani PnP, Crossover pipe GS, Uppipe, 255 Fuel pump, Intake Man and TB PnP with TGVs Deteted, EBC, 8mm spacers between the TGVs and heads plus a Pro-Tune with OS Equals > 280HP and 330TQ On a Mustang Dyno with 18lbs of boost and I think 75 to 80% duty cycle.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by dnorton; 06-26-2010 at 05:46 AM.
dnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #227
sleeperxt06
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153715
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
06 fozXT, 09Tribec
,11 OutbackWag

Default

Nice numbers! What was your peak boost?
sleeperxt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #228
dnorton
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 218997
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jax
Vehicle:
07 WRX Mikey Tuned
JE/FSR built,35r 1300c

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorton View Post
Just installed my VF-48 on my 07 WRX Wagon with these mods. Lager TMIC,650cc Injectors,TBE With high flow cat, Exhaust Mani PnP, Crossover pipe GS, Uppipe, 255 Fuel pump, Intake Man and TB PnP with TGVs Deteted, EBC, 8mm spacers between the TGVs and heads plus a Pro-Tune with OS Equals > 280HP and 330TQ On a Mustang Dyno with 18lbs of boost and I think 75 to 80% duty cycle.
I wasn't 100% satisfied with my last tune even tho the numbers where there it just wasn't right. It would back fire and my gas milage was down so I took it to the best guy for tuning on the south east coast, Doug fron TopSpeed. I drove to Tampa to S&R Performance where Doug was tuning for a couple of days. The first run the car was close to what it was from my last tune on the Mustang Dyno,281 hp and 331 tq when Doug finished he had 310 hp and 350 tq at 19 boost > 18 at redline. The car drives like it should have. No more back firing and boy let me tell ya, it's a blast to drive. I'm here to tell you it's all in the tune and Doug is the man who knows how to tune a Subie
dnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #229
samo22
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 119693
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CA
Vehicle:
1995 L w/ ej205
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegmeister View Post
as of 6/18/10 Grimmspeed EWG installed and retuned on the same dyno-made 280 awhp, up by 16 hp
May I please view the retuned dyno graph with ewg?
samo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #230
jaegmeister
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236092
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 wrx full exhaus
vf48 aps big tmic nstuff

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo22 View Post
May I please view the retuned dyno graph with ewg?
Sure, but I only got a hard copy, let me ask Mike if he'll email me a jpg like the last tune. if he's too busy (which I wouldn't be surprised) to get back at me anytime within the next day or two I'll post a pic of the printout...
jaegmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #231
makeawish
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170697
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

let's see some more 2.5l vf48 dyno graphs and mod lists ..please.



btw...It's not installed yet, but I chose a vf48 for my 2006 wrx because the 5 speed tranny would be in serious risk if I went bigger. I'm on a low budget and given the small issues with the vf39 and vf43 I looked for a vf48 or an hta68 to replace the td04.

I found a good low miles vf48 for the current going rate, right here on NASIOC from another member (thx). To my knowledge, the vf48 has no issues, other than a view folks who say it drops off at redline.

I'll post some numbers in a few weeks...
makeawish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #232
makeawish
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170697
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default



2006 wrx... VF48....307/341
makeawish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #233
Rudywrx04
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 134273
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indiana
Vehicle:
04 VF 48 P&P
289 WHP 275 WTQ

Default

^Wow

Last edited by Rudywrx04; 09-04-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Rudywrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #234
hammyt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 92585
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
13.6@100 EJ205 VF48 93Oct

Default

That's pretty typical numbers for a 2.5L with a VF48 and good supporting mods. Nice power. Seeya later 5 speed =D
hammyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #235
shatteringstar
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 149604
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Vehicle:
2006 Limited WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyt View Post
See ya later 5 speed
no way, it'll be fine.

and MakeAWish, whats ur mod list?
i have a 06 WRX and my #'s were a bit lower than that. 285/305
shatteringstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #236
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyt View Post
That's pretty typical numbers for a 2.5L with a VF48 and good supporting mods. Nice power. Seeya later 5 speed =D
I had an 06 WRX on meth with 330whp and 350tq, 5 spd never missed a beat. It certainly helps if you have half a clue how to drive.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #237
hammyt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 92585
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
13.6@100 EJ205 VF48 93Oct

Default

I've also seen on 06 WRX w/ VF48 put down 316/360, run 12.2 in 1/4, do lots of autox's, but guess what one time in third gear at 2/3 throttle and the tranny blew. It's not a matter of if its a matter of when. I completely agree that driving it well can definitely make the transmission last longer, but it won't last forever under that power, obv.
hammyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #238
makeawish
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170697
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteringstar View Post
no way, it'll be fine.

and MakeAWish, whats ur mod list?
i have a 06 WRX and my #'s were a bit lower than that. 285/305
invidia uppipe
jna intake
gimmick inlet
vf48
sti tmic
invidia downpipie
jna catback
walbro 255 fuel pump
1 step colder ngk plugs
dw 750 injectors
v2 access port

makeawish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #239
hammyt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 92585
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicagoland
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
13.6@100 EJ205 VF48 93Oct

Default

good list. how hot does your STi TMIC get? I have an almost identical setup, cept 2.0L and the STi TMIC is just barely enough to keep her cool.
hammyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #240
makeawish
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170697
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyt View Post
good list. how hot does your STi TMIC get? I have an almost identical setup, cept 2.0L and the STi TMIC is just barely enough to keep her cool.
it's early, less 100 miles lol... but so far she seems fine, I have the proper scoop splitter / bellows as well. I may custom fabricate a heat shield to prevent some heat soak, if it looks like a problem.

btw... it's been 90 degrees plus around here in CT, my tune day included.
makeawish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #241
manitou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193757
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cedar, MI HP Techs MPS-SSLR2.5
Vehicle:
2006 XTI Limited
OBP, Junior tuned 573WHP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyt View Post
I've also seen on 06 WRX w/ VF48 put down 316/360, run 12.2 in 1/4, do lots of autox's, but guess what one time in third gear at 2/3 throttle and the tranny blew. It's not a matter of if its a matter of when. I completely agree that driving it well can definitely make the transmission last longer, but it won't last forever under that power, obv.
Yep, It's just a matter of time on the 5 speed grenading with a good tune and supporting mods and a VF48. I speak from experience, on the 3rd 5th gear pull one night I totally stripped the 5th gear set, I mean stripped clean. 5th gear, yeah it's almost hard to believe. I had my GPS running and it recorded 156 MPH. The VF48 can supply some grunt for sure. I now have a complete 07 STI 6 speed/ R180 swap with working DCCD pro in my FSTI.
manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #242
scramjett
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 192526
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX FMIC/VF48
Red/Steel Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou View Post
Yep, It's just a matter of time on the 5 speed grenading with a good tune and supporting mods and a VF48. I speak from experience, on the 3rd 5th gear pull one night I totally stripped the 5th gear set, I mean stripped clean. 5th gear, yeah it's almost hard to believe. I had my GPS running and it recorded 156 MPH. The VF48 can supply some grunt for sure. I now have a complete 07 STI 6 speed/ R180 swap with working DCCD pro in my FSTI.
That's a lot of dough to drop on a transmission just to run a smallish VF series turbo. If I had a built tranny, I'd for certain drop in something like a dom2/3 and take advantage of the tougher tranny. The VF is a good turbo and a good upgrade for a non-sti, and I've run with one for a little while and kno from experience. But my god man, I wouldn't spend upwards of $6k on supporting mods and still keep the vf. Hopefully my 5spd can withstand the 20G and taking down the occasional Mustang/Camaro/Vette. Hang loose my fellow Michigander!
scramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #243
manitou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193757
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cedar, MI HP Techs MPS-SSLR2.5
Vehicle:
2006 XTI Limited
OBP, Junior tuned 573WHP

Default

Well it's not just for the VF48. I have a complete STI converted Forester. I am not going to install a bigger turbo than the VF on the stock block, going bigger is sure route to blowing the motor. After the bullet proof motor build then that's a different story. Good luck with your 20g swap fellow Michigander!
manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #244
STiXXX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177399
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sebago Lake,ME
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
XXX Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou View Post
Well it's not just for the VF48. I have a complete STI converted Forester. I am not going to install a bigger turbo than the VF on the stock block, going bigger is sure route to blowing the motor. After the bullet proof motor build then that's a different story. Good luck with your 20g swap fellow Michigander!
If you have "a COMPLETE STi swap" then "bigger than a VF" certainly WON'T "blow" the motor.
If you're scared, drop in some CP forged pistons. If you're terrified, sleeve the block.
STiXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #245
manitou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193757
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cedar, MI HP Techs MPS-SSLR2.5
Vehicle:
2006 XTI Limited
OBP, Junior tuned 573WHP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiXXX View Post
If you have "a COMPLETE STi swap" then "bigger than a VF" certainly WON'T "blow" the motor.
If you're scared, drop in some CP forged pistons. If you're terrified, sleeve the block.
The block's the same, STI and XT. Cast pistons and with 80k on it. Bigger turbo NOT! Read my last post "bullet proof build" = bigger turbo, yes. Pretty much everyone that goes bigger on the stock block roaches their motor. Don't need sleeves unless you're going very big otherwise it's a waste.
manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #246
jerry curl
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 155135
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa Fl
Vehicle:
03 115k Bugeye
285 AWHP 300 ft lbs torq.

Default

2003 WRX Stock EJ205
On a VF39 at 18.8 lbs, i made 277 AWHP 290 torque Via Mustang Dyno
Invidia 1 piece Header with uppipeInvidia 3in V2 DP no cat
Invidia N1 Exhaust w/ Resonator
Injen Short Ram Intake
Sti 565 Pinks
Ebay FMIC
Cobb 2.0 Protune by Carlos Ramini on Shell 93 pump
Mishi. Rad.
07 STI Speed with sti Flywheel and Clutch
NGK 1 Step Colder plugs
New Dayco Sepentine belts
Hallman MBC
The car has not been on the Dyno Since i put the VF48 on about 20K ago. But the car has been tuned at 22.4 lbs of boost and pulls much harder to redline during WOT. need to get on a Dyno and get some results.

Last edited by jerry curl; 09-21-2010 at 12:37 AM.
jerry curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #247
chlnOrSlpn?
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97785
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2002 SRP Bugeye
EFI Logics/CTSUBIE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou View Post
The block's the same, STI and XT. Cast pistons and with 80k on it. Bigger turbo NOT! Read my last post "bullet proof build" = bigger turbo, yes. Pretty much everyone that goes bigger on the stock block roaches their motor. Don't need sleeves unless you're going very big otherwise it's a waste.
You'll be fine, I drove 40k+ miles on my stock block and stock clutch STi with two GT30R's and two 35R's. 93 octane, 23psi and not a doubt in the world. No, I didn't baby the car, I drove the car pretty hard any chance I could... Unfortunately I had to sell the car for financial reasons, but it had 63k miles and healthy.

After looking at this thread, I may consider a VF48 on my 2.0 WRX for the time being...for the money, it's definitely a good upgrade.
chlnOrSlpn? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #248
STiXXX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177399
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sebago Lake,ME
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
XXX Black

Default

I considered a 48 for thr WRX, but after careful consideration, I'm going with a twin-scroll 30R for the '05 STI, and the WRX is getting my (totaled by Ex last year) 34K '06 LGT motor with my STI's current FP Green/Injen FMIC/850cc inj./walboro setup.
The WRX will have to be de-tuned to 300WHP at that point, to protect the 100k glass tranny while I save up for a new 6MT/DCCD Pro for it, but it'll be big fun for next winter, at any rate.
So far, so good.
At only $6K, the WRX left me money to play with-knock on wood, lol!!


XXX
STiXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #249
WRX_FTW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 240792
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Burlington, NC
Vehicle:
04 STi RIP, 04 FXT
Stg 3, 02 SRP WRX 37k

Default

does anyone know what i can expect from this setup with a vf48...? i bought an 04 sti with a spun bearing and blown vf39, so im replacing both.

specs:
04 sti, brand new short block
perrin crank pulley
oem gaskets/arp head studs
zerosports thermostat (160 F)
and on 93 octane

these came with the car and i dont know the brand or really anything about them: I THINK 3 inch exhaust from turbo back, im assuming a stock uppipe, and aftermarket intake with a cold air hose ran to fog light cover


im pretty sure everything else is/will be stock... kinda tired right now and cant think.

i will be using an hks ebc and opensource tune. i know it depends on the tuner and several other things but im just looking for a ball park figure.
WRX_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #250
makeawish
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170697
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_FTW View Post
does anyone know what i can expect from this setup with a vf48...? i bought an 04 sti with a spun bearing and blown vf39, so im replacing both.

specs:
04 sti, brand new short block
perrin crank pulley
oem gaskets/arp head studs
zerosports thermostat (160 F)
and on 93 octane

these came with the car and i dont know the brand or really anything about them: I THINK 3 inch exhaust from turbo back, im assuming a stock uppipe, and aftermarket intake with a cold air hose ran to fog light cover


im pretty sure everything else is/will be stock... kinda tired right now and cant think.

i will be using an hks ebc and opensource tune. i know it depends on the tuner and several other things but im just looking for a ball park figure.

welcome to the VF48 club

I like the guessing game...

let's see you've got:

sti uppipe (catted I think, not sure)
vf48
sti tmic
cai
550 injectors
turbo back
hks ebc
stock fuel pump
stock plugs
pro tune

I'll say 285hp / 309tq, mustang.

Good luck with tune..post the real numbers.
makeawish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I swap VF39 for the VF48 on 03? guru_method Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 24 07-31-2010 02:28 PM
Deleting the weapon thread.. and the whining thread about me locking it is even lamer Fish Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 14 07-01-2010 12:29 PM
What is the max boost for the VF48? Tuned200 Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 14 02-17-2009 04:59 PM
Quest for 11's in the VF48 Saabaru (How much more can I get out of my VF48?) cireturbo Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 30 09-24-2008 01:32 AM
Why did the 'Discsussion' thread for the SOA recommendation thread get closed? left footed whooten News & Rumors 6 09-05-2006 12:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.