Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 149565
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Default HELP, loud clicking noise from front drivers side.

ok, there is a loud clicking noise coming from the front driver side at take off. i am very sure this is probably the cv halfshaft. i found the at napa for 60 something each and autozone for 114 each. is this where everyone is getting their cv joints from? what vendor? and the swap out. anyone know of any write ups on this? im sure i could finger F my way through it but sure is nice to have some predetermined direction.

i emailed Jamie from Subaru for some info already so and help would be appreciated.

thanks, Branden
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ict-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
ThomasM
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 191697
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
WR Blue

Thumbs up

It is a very easy removal/install. Simply unbolt the strut from the hub, the hub nut from the center of the hub, and the hub from the lower control arm. be carful when removing the nut from underneath the control arm, as the cauter pin can brake easily and the threads on the bolt itself and not terribly durable. When you pull the half shaft out of the transmission, (i assume you have a 5MT) be prepared for fluid leakage, as the inner seal usually will not hold after the shaft is removed and will need to be replaced. Install new seal, then the half shaft, rebolt everything correctly, paying special attention to torque specs(especially the hub nut which i think is 136.5 lbs.) and you're good to go. shouldn't be any kind of brake-in period on a new half shaft, but check the box/included instructions to be sure. Hope this helps.
ThomasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
ThomasM
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
WR Blue

also, unless you had visual damage to one side over the other, they usually wear at about the same rate and it is good practice to replace both at the same time, unless of course you have a visual tare on one side that caused it to sling all of it's lube out and eat itself up.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasM View Post
also, unless you had visual damage to one side over the other, they usually wear at about the same rate and it is good practice to replace both at the same time, unless of course you have a visual tare on one side that caused it to sling all of it's lube out and eat itself up.
actually thats exactly what happened. when i started hearing the clicking and jacked it up and seen the tear in the boot. only the drivers side is clicking but at $50 each from a hook up at Advance Auto i think i will just do both.

i have been told the the swap out is pretty easy mostly centered around getting out a pin that holds the shafts in, oh boo hoo. thats better then some of the other situations i have been thrown into fixing or upgrading cars/sportbikes before.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
ThomasM
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
WR Blue

Cool

Glad to help!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

Default An Update??!!!??

hello, its the original poster here. i swapped out the half shafts just fine but after another 8 months went by that noise came back and worst. i have it all torn down now. the problem, it wheel bearing. oh yes, took off the wheel to investigate more and the hub is soo loose in the spindle. too much play. thinking in my head of the terrible noise it was making and all the cars weight on that loose hub being pulled front to back by the movement call ed on by the driver. what was in front of me was truly the real cause of the problem that i had sank money in other fixes for nothing, (not really, at least all the other stuff is new now).

BUT, A PROBLEM, the hub wont come out, short of going ape S on it and ripping it out then running up a tree with the hub in one hand and some bananas in the other. am i missing something here? do i just need to pry the thing out?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
cbarth3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 67249
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
WRB

you will need something like this

http://www.mytoolstore.com/wilmar/wtech04.html

can most likely be rented from local auto store.

found this at autozone

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ino...ersSpecialized
cbarth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
ict-wrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza Wrx
White

bump, nobody has replaced or pulled their hubs before on a WRX???