Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #301
wrx wagone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97301
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Phillytown, PA
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wag-Tow Rig
95 FM - QRE Invader

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
Retired mine last year. I drove Butt Dyno's car in Toledo this year. I miss the quick-handling suspension setup, but I do like the comfy ride I have now and the addition of power.

Are you tuning with RomRaider? When I get my map figured out I can send you a copy that you can use for reference/comparison if you'd like.
I had to cut my national travel back quite a bit last year.

I just started tuning with RR. I would love to look at your ROM once you get it dialed. Will you be running a non-OE BCS?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrx wagone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #302
wrx wagone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97301
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Phillytown, PA
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wag-Tow Rig
95 FM - QRE Invader

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterWTi View Post
hint hint i dump to atmosphere with the internal wastegate muhaha!
I'm still trying to figure this statement out, and somehow I do not think it means what you think it means.
wrx wagone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #303
Scooby921
Merci Buckets
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Clarkston
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
I had to cut my national travel back quite a bit last year.

I just started tuning with RR. I would love to look at your ROM once you get it dialed. Will you be running a non-OE BCS?
Using OE BCS. I suppose I could change, but so far I'm not having any issues reaching boost targets and its money that I don't need to spend. Right now boost target is 15psi, and I'm logging a little creep up to 15.5psi. But wastegate duty cycle is only 85% to hit that level, and with it tapering off to 35% and 0% at redline I'm still holding 11-12psi. Not sure why people think the stock turbo falls on its face up top. But then I did shorten the actuator arm one turn to get rid of some flutter that was annoying me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
I'm still trying to figure this statement out, and somehow I do not think it means what you think it means.
I'm guessing the divorced wastegate has a wall separating turbine flow from wastegate flow and the wastegate tube doesn't blend back into the downpipe. It changes absolutely nothing with the function of the wastegate for boost control. All it does is make more noise without having the added benefit of an external wastegate that actually provides better boost control.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #304
cueball89
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90513
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
Right now boost target is 15psi, and I'm logging a little creep up to 15.5psi. But wastegate duty cycle is only 85% to hit that level, and with it tapering off to 35% and 0% at redline I'm still holding 11-12psi. Not sure why people think the stock turbo falls on its face up top. But then I did shorten the actuator arm one turn to get rid of some flutter that was annoying me.
Not to turn this into a tuning thread, but have you noticed any adverse effects of turning the actuator arm that much? I had to turn mine quite a bit and still get wastegate flutter. My wgdc is about 33% at redline targeting ~12psi. With 0% wgdc at redline what happens if you over boost?
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #305
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

From 12/28/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterWTi View Post
Blouch only does the 19t compressor wheel, you will not gain much HP from just doing this wheel; you also need the other side replaced, do not clip!!! You end up loosing what you wanted in the 1st place, low end spool. Keep Reading...

I knew about deadbolt going under so I outsourced: Performance Techniques in CA http://turbocharged.com/main.htm will do the 19t upgrade for you BUT you can go one step further and buy their take on the Monster TD04 --- 19-T Upgrade compressor section, a # 6 A/R exhaust housing, completely blue printed, balanced, heavy duty racing style 360 deg. thrust bearing set-up with a dynamic compressor seal for extra fast spool-up.

I bought this turbo just a week ago on EBAY (and theres more) for JUST $422 shipped!!! Try to get a VF39 or 16g for that price in this state/conditon... haha yeah OK


Just the hot side wheel costs Performance Techniques $125.

Besides why pay $325 for just a 19T wheel That is wiiicked crazy.
Don't waste your time sending your TD04 to Blouch, just order Performance Techniques' TD04

KEEP IN MIND No obviously at that price it is not a new core turbo. BUT It has a brand new turbine wheel, compressor wheel, and all internal parts bearing seal etc. Plus the internal wastegate opening is ported. It is completely rebuilt and balanced. The ceramic coating costs additional $70.00 though...


I am going to Denver soon (1st week in Feb.) to see what I pull on the dyno with MY95 GF8, with FULLLLL 2002 WRX wagen swap (ECU, motor, tranny, diffs, driveshaft, suspension, dash, seats, ha even down to the carpeting!).

I'm running 565 pinks, 255 FP, the Performance Techniques TD04, 21"x4.5" TMIC, AEM CAI, stock manifold, and upipe, wide open 3" TBE, BUT my secret weapon is my Vishnu turely divorced DP --- that I've been formulating for almost 6 months --- hint hint i dump to atmosphere with the internal wastegate muhaha!

Cheers,
~Wolf
WTi --- Steamboat Springs, CO
From 1/12/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterWTi View Post
Hey everyone,

I've chosen to be quiet until after reading all the pages referring to the TD04 Tuning (low end/power/torque).

I started my GC8 quest like this: 1993 Impreza L 5spd RARE stock color: barney purple 4 door sedan (matte black hood/trunk; wingless/scoopless TOTAL SLEEPER)

EJ18 (fully broken down and sanded/polished, new seals 64K) 2002 WRX heads, TD04 turbo'ed with a SAFE daily 5psi (running atmospheric with a mesh screen), open headers (heat
wrapped), open uppipe, 3" full turbo back exhaust, HUGE front mount
intercooler, real JDM front bumper support, Forge blow off valve stiff
spring (never hear it), Rota 17" wheels GOLD with brand new all season GT tires, the rear interior has been fully tubbed out (VERY light
GC8!), I also have a made-by-custom-order 6 puck RACE STAGE clutch and flywheel made-just-for this car not installed ($1000). ABSOLUTELY NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT --- DONE RIGHT --- ONLY DRIVEN ONCE IN A BLUE MOON --- NEEDS NOTHING--- DO COILOVERS AND COMPETITIVELY TRACK ENDURO RACE HER... I just want $3500 for her.

The reason for selling is that I just bought a 1995 GF8 in matte black with FULL 2002 WRX wagen swap (driveshaft, axles, diffs, ect. ect. motor, tranny, dash, seats ect. ect. EVEN down to the carpeting!)

I knew about deadbolt so outsourced: Performance Techniques in CA http://turbocharged.com/main.htm will do the 19t upgrade BUT you can go one step further and buy their take on the Monster TD04 --- 19-T Upgrade compressor section, a # 6 A/R exhaust housing, completely blue printed, balanced, heavy duty racing style 360 deg. thrust bearing set-up with a dynamic compressor seal for extra fast spool-up.

I bought this turbo on EBAY for JUST $422 shipped!!! Try to get a VF or 16g for that price... haha


Should get some pulls on the dyno as soon as by the end of January!

Please ask me anything as I LOVE the conceptual talk on this upgrade.

AND I have successfully built my "truly divorced" DP that allows the internal WG to vent atmospherically --- LOVE rpm killer AWD torque!

Cheers,
~Wolf
You're sounding like a advertiser by posting the same thing twice heavily promoting a company that is not a vendor. Just saying
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #306
All4bSpinnin
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 99102
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jax, FL
Vehicle:
08 Corvette Z06
problem Traction?

Default

Sorry if ive missed this on a previous page but... im curious to see how this turbo would perform on a 2.5 liter wrx/sti ....any feedback?
All4bSpinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #307
hex2bit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135072
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Rochester, MN
Vehicle:
2004 FXT, 19t-td04

Default

I'm running it on my FXT, same 2.5L long-block as the STI. I have other supporting mods, including EWG, STI exhaust headers, and 3" exhaust. My results are a bit earlier in the thread, however, I had some exhaust restriction preventing me from getting everything out of the turbo due to the cat being right after the turbo. That's getting sorted out this week, along with fixing a leaky injector that was flooding my cylinder 4. I'll post my new results when I get them.

Honestly, you should see similar results to the first page, main reason, air = HP, and the turbo only flows 500 CFM. So that's around 275 WHP if everything is running efficiently. A 2.5L vs. 2.0L simply means the engine will flow more air earlier, but ultimately not any more than a 2.0L if you're being limited by the turbo. So you have the ability to get more power earlier, and build boost quicker, but your peak HP numbers will be the same when the turbo's flow peaks out. The main difference is torque, with the 2.5L producing more at equal boost levels, and earlier.
hex2bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #308
Big_DeWeY
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37078
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: TH Motorsports
Vehicle:
95 L
Blue-ish

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hex2bit View Post
I'm running it on my FXT, same 2.5L long-block as the STI. I have other supporting mods, including EWG, STI exhaust headers, and 3" exhaust. My results are a bit earlier in the thread, however, I had some exhaust restriction preventing me from getting everything out of the turbo due to the cat being right after the turbo. That's getting sorted out this week, along with fixing a leaky injector that was flooding my cylinder 4. I'll post my new results when I get them.

Honestly, you should see similar results to the first page, main reason, air = HP, and the turbo only flows 500 CFM. So that's around 275 WHP if everything is running efficiently. A 2.5L vs. 2.0L simply means the engine will flow more air earlier, but ultimately not any more than a 2.0L if you're being limited by the turbo. So you have the ability to get more power earlier, and build boost quicker, but your peak HP numbers will be the same when the turbo's flow peaks out. The main difference is torque, with the 2.5L producing more at equal boost levels, and earlier.
This is very well put.
Big_DeWeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 AM   #309
ForesterWTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173892
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2005 OB EZ30R LLBean
champagne gold

Default not a vender i'm an suboie guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
From 12/28/2009

From 1/12/2010

You're sounding like a advertiser by posting the same thing twice heavily promoting a company that is not a vendor. Just saying


I'm not a vender. I am a subie guy. I've owned 12 in the past 7/8 years.
I was just simply reposting to give this company the proper discussion they deserve. I found out that for just $325, Blouch only puts in a 19t wheel, and you still have to ship your TD04 to them, and for most of us, be without a daily driver until you get it back. PT will give you two wheels, port the internal wastegate, and put in a brand new thrust bearing for just $422!!!

This whole thread is for people with dailies running TD04's trying to get the-best-bang-for-the-buck, and THIS turbo is IT...

Please feel free to call James durring CA business hours, they are wicked nice and very informative. This is a direct quote from James about my last post...

"Thank you, That was a very nice post. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I assure you that you will be happy with this turbo. It seem some other might be wary of our company. We have been open here in the same location since 1989 and have been building turbos since 1985. We specialize in Garrett all models, Toyota ct-26/ct-12 and especially mitusbishi turbos. We build many upgrade for 3000gt, subaru, eclipse, etc. I build many of the upgrades you see for sale from other companies. I know our website is lacking much information but I am working on a whole new layout/artwork for a revamped site. Again I appreciate your feedback and posting. Please let me know if there is anything else you need. You can call me anytime. James 909-824-1020"

I'm just trying to help out everyone who is active in this thread, Blouch is good... Deadbolt is out of biz, it's time to find the next best MONSTER TD04,

Cheers,
~Wolf
ForesterWTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #310
ForesterWTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173892
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2005 OB EZ30R LLBean
champagne gold

Default dump it!

I do know what I said means. I said it and have been testing and developing this DP for 6 months. There is actually a person on NASIOC called Ryan Viola who is running a green on an 07 rex putting 450whp in the proven power thread. He owns MR Performance in NY and they are also trying to develop this type of DP.

Essentially, you start off by buying a truly divorced DP.
-Cut the DP so that it doesn't Y back into itself.
-weld the hole shut where it used to Y into the DP
-the next step is where I differ from MR Performance...
-- they think that you can do this with making a divider, much like that of a traditional "divorced" DP, but you WILL get creep by
--- I however cast iron welded a divider in my TD04 to match up perfectly to my true divorced DP

Now you can dump to atmosphere with an internal wastegate!
And no it's not for noise, it's for responce.
Don't knock it until you've done the research and dyno'ed it.

I will be in Denver the 1st week in Feb. to dyno my prototype.
And also to see what the Performance Techniques' 19t TD04 does.

Cheers,
~Wolf




Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
I'm still trying to figure this statement out, and somehow I do not think it means what you think it means.
ForesterWTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #311
fastwrx25
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 126441
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: TPE
Vehicle:
03 bugeye

Default

more options for us suby guys is great, I don't think that guy is promoting.

he is just letting us know about other options. there are alot more turbo shops out there than the nasioc vendors.

if I were him, got that turbo at that price I would def post also.
fastwrx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #312
wrxanakin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 102514
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
1970 NYC Subway

Default

Nice setup!
wrxanakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #313
Scooby921
Merci Buckets
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Clarkston
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

Default

Lets get things back under control. The thread is supposed to be about 19t upgrades. I don't mind a little off-topic here and there, but no need for people to attack each other.


Thank you to ForesterWTi. I'm happy to see info about a new option for the 19t upgrade. I'm sure we're all a bit hesitant to jump at it because its a new name, but keep us up to date when you get tuned and show us the results. People are going to want proof before they jump on the bandwagon and buy from this new vendor.

Since it seems you've been talking to the company, ask them where we might find info about their 19t upgrade. I'm glad they have a history of building and modifying turbos. That speaks volumes for the potential and quality, but that isn't everything. As I noted before, I find nothing on their website and I don't see Subaru listed as a brand they build turbos for. Its hard to trust a product from a company that doesn't advertise it and doesn't list our brand of car as something they work with.






Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball89 View Post
Not to turn this into a tuning thread, but have you noticed any adverse effects of turning the actuator arm that much? I had to turn mine quite a bit and still get wastegate flutter. My wgdc is about 33% at redline targeting ~12psi. With 0% wgdc at redline what happens if you over boost?
PM coming...
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #314
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Totally different engine, but some additional information that supports the 19t mod IMO: http://florida3s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17786
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #315
sandman21_21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152118
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
1999 RBP 2.5RS Sold
1998 RBP WRX swap XO GC

Default

^ Only thing about that is they have a TD04HL-19T, whereas ours would be a TD04L-19T. The inducer/exducer is larger on the TD04HL.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1213890

Thread for reference...
sandman21_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #316
poetic--playa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175499
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Madison, WI
Vehicle:
02 S Type RSX
--------doublevtak-------

Default

read the whole thread. it sounds really good. im certain this will be the route i take for my turbo being that my seals are blown, this is perfect.
if only there were some more numbers or graphs from people who've already installed this turbo.
poetic--playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #317
All4bSpinnin
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 99102
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jax, FL
Vehicle:
08 Corvette Z06
problem Traction?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hex2bit View Post
I'm running it on my FXT, same 2.5L long-block as the STI. I have other supporting mods, including EWG, STI exhaust headers, and 3" exhaust. My results are a bit earlier in the thread, however, I had some exhaust restriction preventing me from getting everything out of the turbo due to the cat being right after the turbo. That's getting sorted out this week, along with fixing a leaky injector that was flooding my cylinder 4. I'll post my new results when I get them.
Keep me posted!

I understand the logic of cfm limitations but it was a good explaination for some of the other guys... Im looking to see the spool characteristics of it...

Your FXT should be pretty quick! Shoot me a pm once you get it tuned
All4bSpinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #318
hex2bit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135072
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Rochester, MN
Vehicle:
2004 FXT, 19t-td04

Default

I'm picking up my FXT tomorrow and heading up north for some "ice racing". I didn't have time to get the cat moved due to sourcing parts, so I won't know the results of that till later.

As far as spool characteristics, it feels very much like a stock TD04, but can net you 20% more HP. It's about as simple as that.
hex2bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #319
downpipe12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 212666
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rocky Point
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon,
Black, EVOIII16G+Meth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
I do not think it means what you think it means.
princess bride?
downpipe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #320
ForesterWTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173892
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2005 OB EZ30R LLBean
champagne gold

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by downpipe12 View Post
princess bride?

haha ah wha? does sum1 want to shed sum light on this quote 4me...

Cheers,
~Wolf
WTi --- Steamboat Springs, CO
ForesterWTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #321
Scooby921
Merci Buckets
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Clarkston
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterWTi View Post
haha ah wha? does sum1 want to shed sum light on this quote 4me...

Cheers,
~Wolf
WTi --- Steamboat Springs, CO
The movie "The Princess Bride"...one of the scenes and more memorable quotes

[Vizzini has just cut the rope The Dread Pirate Roberts is climbing up]
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #322
Chuck H
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20442
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Chelmsford, MA
Vehicle:
KTR tuned 2003 WRX
VF34 equipped, 270 whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterWTi View Post
I do know what I said means. I said it and have been testing and developing this DP for 6 months. There is actually a person on NASIOC called Ryan Viola who is running a green on an 07 rex putting 450whp in the proven power thread. He owns MR Performance in NY and they are also trying to develop this type of DP.

Essentially, you start off by buying a truly divorced DP.
-Cut the DP so that it doesn't Y back into itself.
-weld the hole shut where it used to Y into the DP
-the next step is where I differ from MR Performance...
-- they think that you can do this with making a divider, much like that of a traditional "divorced" DP, but you WILL get creep by
--- I however cast iron welded a divider in my TD04 to match up perfectly to my true divorced DP

Now you can dump to atmosphere with an internal wastegate!
And no it's not for noise, it's for responce.
Don't knock it until you've done the research and dyno'ed it.

I will be in Denver the 1st week in Feb. to dyno my prototype.
And also to see what the Performance Techniques' 19t TD04 does.

Cheers,
~Wolf
I had thought about trying some of what you're describing if I do an external wastegate setup on my next turbo. Basically find a shop to weld part of a pipe wall into the hot side outlet to make the outlet nice and round and completely block off the wastegate part of the bellmouth. Then I had planned to mate it to a flat plate downpipe like the Helix one.

Scooby921 has a good point. The setup you're describing will likely have very little performance benefit, and the main difference will be noise. The problem with venting an internal wastegate to atmosphere is that it's the internal wastegate itself that's the major restriction, not the piping that it feeds into on the divorced wastegate downpipe. Venting it to atmosphere may give a slight improvement in backpressure, but nowhere near as good as an external wastegate that vents the excess exhaust pre-turbo.
Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #323
downpipe12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 212666
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rocky Point
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon,
Black, EVOIII16G+Meth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
The movie "The Princess Bride"...one of the scenes and more memorable quotes

[Vizzini has just cut the rope The Dread Pirate Roberts is climbing up]
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I do not think you will accept my help. since I am only waiting around to kill you.

That does put a damper on our relationship. You'll just have to wait.

I hate waiting.
downpipe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #324
ForesterWTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173892
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2005 OB EZ30R LLBean
champagne gold

Default dumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
I had thought about trying some of what you're describing if I do an external wastegate setup on my next turbo. Basically find a shop to weld part of a pipe wall into the hot side outlet to make the outlet nice and round and completely block off the wastegate part of the bellmouth. Then I had planned to mate it to a flat plate downpipe like the Helix one.

Scooby921 has a good point. The setup you're describing will likely have very little performance benefit, and the main difference will be noise. The problem with venting an internal wastegate to atmosphere is that it's the internal wastegate itself that's the major restriction, not the piping that it feeds into on the divorced wastegate downpipe. Venting it to atmosphere may give a slight improvement in backpressure, but nowhere near as good as an external wastegate that vents the excess exhaust pre-turbo.
I like your set up! I thought of that Helix desgin also, I just fell in love with the Vishnu true divorced DP, there isn't a lot of these out there, I had to search the Denver Craigslist for a long while before I scooped one up. I actually came to my current design by trying to get 4" DP flow without having that huge DP dragging on every speed bump j/k...

To help with performance with my prototype atmospheric DP, Performance Tecniques' TD04 has ported the internal wastegate ...
So I will see once I get onto the dyno in Feb. I hope it will not end up being just a lot of hot air haha yeah pun intended.

Cheers!
~Wolf
WTi --- Steamboat Springs, CO
ForesterWTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #325
ForesterWTi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173892
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2005 OB EZ30R LLBean
champagne gold

Default oooh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downpipe12 View Post
I do not think you will accept my help. since I am only waiting around to kill you.

That does put a damper on our relationship. You'll just have to wait.

I hate waiting.

hahaha I havn't seen that film in wiiicked long.
....mad funny.

Cheers,
~Wolf
WTi --- Steamboat Springs, CO
ForesterWTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
td04 19t blouch upgrade. WhiteBgeye02 Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 1 06-23-2010 08:35 PM
WTB td04 for 19t upgrade tanner127 Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 3 04-13-2010 08:04 PM
Blouch TD04 19T upgrade on 4EAT. Opinions Brock31 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 6 12-17-2009 10:35 AM
Blouch TD04 19T Upgrade lackofhp Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 8 10-31-2008 01:57 PM
TD04-19T questions. ringe Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 6 06-07-2008 07:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.