Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
Needsacar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 188919
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx Wagon
CGM

Default Conversion: 2003 Wagon to 2004-2005 Head lights and Tail lights

Hey,
So I am looking at getting a 2003 Subaru Wrx Wagon. The whole front (body panel wise) is missing. So I am going to replace it with newer fenders, bumper, bumper bar, hood, lights and all. So if I am going to do this how much do you think it's going to run me and how difficult is it to put all of this on. (just a guess on the price, I am just wondering, backing up what I thought it would cost...)
The other question is, for the tail lights on the 2003 wagon can I put in newer 2004-2005 lights in the existing body panels, or would I have to buy new quarter panels for the rear.(To make the clear, on the back only the tails are missing so could I buy newer tails and put the in without getting new body panels in the back)

And just so we're clear...........I like the bugeye design I am not hating on it....it's just well....if all of the parts are already off why not, right?

Any help greatly appreciated...I'll be all over the boards for help later.

Edit: Is there a difference between the Sti headlights and Wrx headlights? Design and shape wise, that is.
Edit2:The tails don't matter as much because I can buy 2003 tails and put them in, I'll just have to re-wire them I am guessing when I put the Sti harness in(it's getting an upgrade including tranny and engine oh ya)--I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams yet, but I am betting there will be re-wiring, right? And while we're on the subject of rewiring, am I going to need to change the wiring on the doors at all?--And yes I have read most of the conversion stickies I am just trying to get everything straight. Worked on cars--just not subaru's before.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Needsacar; 10-30-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Needsacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
mannyOlicious
*** Banned ***

Member#: 173829
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
04 dom3 +meth pyah
09 triumph daytona 675

my car was originally an 02 all around but there are literally more 04 parts on there now than 02... only the chassis and the roof/ 1/4 panals are from 02 hahaha. if you can weld, its all free... everything just bolts together once you get the radiator support on there. I dont know how to weld so I had it done but after that i simply installed everything else myself!
mannyOlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
JavaBot
Scooby Guru

Member#: 156723
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
05 srp foresterX
rip 2.0i/2.5rs

Thats gonna be tough... you'll have to chop the frame. 03 headlights/grille etc are shaped wayyy diff than 04, along with the tails there is a bump out for the brake lights and you have to cut the rear bumper beam and do a lot of hacking and welding to get the parts to fit. It can be done though, if you're ballsy enough.

PM maxpowr he has 07 tails in his bugeye and they don't sit quite right because he didn't cut the rear bumper beam to match. He lives with it but beyond body panels its actually the frame that you'll have to overcome... will be a hard project but I say go for it if you have the cajones.

the difference between 04 sti and wrx headlights is that they are HID's... the only physical difference is that the ballast for the hids mounts to the bottom of the housing. It will swap easily from an 04 rex to an 04/05 sti and vice versa, but from an 04 to an 03 you'll have to do some major mods to make it all fit. Same with tails.

Also, I'm pretty sure wagon body panels and bumpers (excluding the obvious) are slightly different from a wagon to a sedan. ie Wagon front bumper is not quite as long (wide) as sedan front bumper, by a couple of inches.

GL and keep us posted on how the project is going
-M
JavaBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Needsacar
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Wrx Wagon
CGM

Bumpity bumpity bump, just to get some more opinions, because I thought it was easier...I hope it is
Old 10-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Needsacar
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Wrx Wagon
CGM

Bump for more opinions...
Old 11-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
Needsacar
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Wrx Wagon
CGM

To the top...do I really have to weld...
Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
verdee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 113772
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon vf39
WRB

This guy went from an 2003 to a 2006 front end Here. You could maybe contact this shop to find out some more info
verdee is offline   Reply With Quote