Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
L..
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 182962
Default DIY: How to redo your grounds on your GC Impreza

In today's lesson, we will learn how to redo your own grounds on your Impreza (93-01 anyway).

There's a lot of grounding kits out there, but they're really expensive and this is a cheap and effective way to change out your grounds.

What you'll need:
Ground wires: I used 1, 1 gauge and 2, 4 gauge wires with ring terminals
A new battery terminal.
Associated tools: 10mm, 12mm, 14mm whatever have you.
Razor

Take your ground wires and terminate the ends onto the ring terminals. There should be two like this:

And one with only 1 end terminated and one just frayed if you go with the battery style terminal I'm going with.

This is what your engine bay currently looks like if you haven't done any ground improvements yet. Grounds are very important, they improve everything about your car that's electrical in nature.

Remove your positive and negative terminals from the battery. You'll have to remove the two positive terminals from the positive ring terminal to get to the ground on the block. Most places like autozone or kragens sells battery terminals with standard sized bolts, I just went ahead and ditched them and put on two 10mm bolts in the clamp. Also, don't forget to clean the terminals!

Now find this guy, and cut that bitch out. Stab your knife into it and slit it like it's a wedding cake. Make sure to get it all the way through or you're not going to be able to get the ground out.

Look under your air intake box and remove the ground that's going from the battery to this grounding point. Attach your 1 gauge wire or whatever you are using to this point, by simply bolting it in.

Note the comparison between each ground. The stock ground is a measely 8 gauge:

I attached one of the 4 gauge grounds to another spot on the chassis and put it in the middle slot of the new battery terminal I bought. It doesn't matter where, as long as you clean the ground point with a metal wire brush to expose a little metal. In the image below, I'm letting it hang in there so I can finish the third ground.

And you're almost done. Check to make sure everything is bolted on correctly and tightly. I take a step back to make sure that everything stays in place while you work on the last ground.

I just replaced the OEM 8 gauge ground with the 4 gauge ground. I routed it around to the 2nd bolt of the battery terminal and bolted it in through the ring terminal. Afterwards, I put the open frayed end all the way in, making sure no copper is showing and then I finish it up by bolting the final ground in and making sure everything is all good.

Now you're done. The things I immediately noticed were that my headlights were a whole crap load brighter and my engine revved up smoother and the studder I had at around 4000rpms went away. Everything else just seems a little smoother. This isn't to say that this is what grounding kits do. My grounds were corroded and yucky, so replacing them with new and bigger grounds will simply let them perform like they're supposed to. I don't believe the hype about getting more power and smoother this and more gas mileage or whatever else. It's pretty much like doing another tune up thing, just a little more complex. The ground wire's been on there since 2000, 8 years and never changed. If I had the same spark plugs for 8 years I'm pretty sure that my car would perform pretty crappily.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
L.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
Skoloseven
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 190226

nice write up ++++1111
Skoloseven is offline   Reply With Quote