Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #126
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2011 STi
WRB

Default

I hope this engine issue has been solved... I just picked up a 2011 sti.

Is it suggested to put EM on the car sooner than later?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #127
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick3d View Post
He is talking about you specifically. They want details as to your personal experience.
The details of my failure have already been posted and shared in multiple threads along with my personal findings and opinions on why this problem occurs. Also shared are opinions from SOC regional managers, tech line specialists as well as notable tuners and racers with direct involvement in factory efforts.
There is plenty of info out there if someone would like access to it.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #128
flat4doniz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263475
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
I hope this engine issue has been solved... I just picked up a 2011 sti.

Is it suggested to put EM on the car sooner than later?
i was on stock tune for almost 20k then stage1 ap a week after i hit stage 2, so i doubt it matters when you switch EM.

just keep knocking the wood.
flat4doniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #129
krinkle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 264311
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX STi
white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
There is a ton of info out there explaining many of the contributing factors and issues.
Yes there is, but it's scattered all over. From what I can understand there are several things ...

1) ECU update form Subaru to help fix this problem due lean condition at rev limiter
2) Possible piston/ring issue, usually shows up in cylinder 4 first.
3) Engine not properly broken-in.
4) Tuning

That is what I found searching BEFORE I posted. Is that it? Did Subaru change anything other than the newer ECU program? Update pistons/rings in newer cars? Is going stage 1 or 2 not a good idea?

This is what I got from my searches, I was wonder if someone had and official or unofficial word from Subaru. I'm not canceling my order. Just trying to be informed.

At the end of the day it seems this might be a very small percentage of STi's sold, I guess I'll roll the dice. I have no plans on doing even a Stage 1 at this point, just some overlays for the godaweful tail lights.
krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #130
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2011 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat4doniz View Post
i was on stock tune for almost 20k then stage1 ap a week after i hit stage 2, so i doubt it matters when you switch EM.

just keep knocking the wood.
I thought people suggested that having a different EM would possibly prevent the lean high rpms. However, I didn't know if that was the only real variable other than manufacturing issues.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #131
steelsnow
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 124721
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Stock w/forged pistions

Default

Model year: 2006 wrx
Build date:
Purchase date: 5/06
Failure date: 11/10
Mileage at failure: 116k
ECU recall performed? no
Was car modified? no

I know this is supposed to be for 08+ sti's, but my 06 wrx ended up with a broken piston on #4. It definitely wasn't new, but I didn't beat on it too much. Most of my miles are freeway miles and ~3k rpm on the freeway type stuff. I am going with forged pistons so hopefully I won't have this problem again. I will make sure there isn't a ecm reflash out for it before I drive it too much.
steelsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #132
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelsnow View Post
Model year: 2006 wrx
Build date:
Purchase date: 5/06
Failure date: 11/10
Mileage at failure: 116k
ECU recall performed? no
Was car modified? no

I know this is supposed to be for 08+ sti's, but my 06 wrx ended up with a broken piston on #4. It definitely wasn't new, but I didn't beat on it too much. Most of my miles are freeway miles and ~3k rpm on the freeway type stuff. I am going with forged pistons so hopefully I won't have this problem again. I will make sure there isn't a ecm reflash out for it before I drive it too much.
I would suggest getting a tune to go with those pistons.
I'm sure you will have to bore the cyl's...
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #133
frsh2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177908
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Exeter, NH
Vehicle:
2010 STI
Satin white pearl

Default

Model year:2010
Build date:06/09
Purchase date:04/10
Failure date:11/15/10
Mileage at failure:12,207
ECU recall performed?no?????????
Was car modified? cobb stage 2 CAI map

pistons #2 + 4. paying for it myself voided warranty. forged pistons all the way... don't trust the 2011's either, stock or modded. I didn't even beat on the car, it was one week shy of going into winter storage... I will never buy a subaru again. this has been going on since 07?! andd the service dept. denies everything said on the forums and told me my car was overreved to create this problem.... bull****.
frsh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #134
dakrat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 272840
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2011 STI
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsh2 View Post
Model year:2010
Build date:06/09
Purchase date:04/10
Failure date:11/15/10
Mileage at failure:12,207
ECU recall performed?no?????????
Was car modified? cobb stage 2 CAI map

pistons #2 + 4. paying for it myself voided warranty. forged pistons all the way... don't trust the 2011's either, stock or modded. I didn't even beat on the car, it was one week shy of going into winter storage... I will never buy a subaru again. this has been going on since 07?! andd the service dept. denies everything said on the forums and told me my car was overreved to create this problem.... bull****.
you gotta pay to play man. thats just how it is. void the warranty and it is a costly repair. the only source that the service dept. should listen to is SOA, not internet experts. I have always wanted to get the cobb accessport but its not worth voiding the warranty

Last edited by dakrat; 02-17-2011 at 01:08 PM.
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #135
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2011 STi
WRB

Default

Hmm, I wonder if I'll have a problem. I asked the dealership specifically about the piston failures. They told me that even with cobb AP and bolt-ons would not void the warranty. This is before I bought the car, and confirmed 2 weeks ago.

When I asked about the STi failures on NASIOC and IWSTi, they also mentioned that for the most part it is a representation of a small community and that the failures are a small population of vehicles.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #136
xcoder
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186660
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVA
Vehicle:
08 STi
Spark Silv

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
you gotta pay to play man. thats just how it is. void the warranty and it is a costly repair. the only source that the service dept. should listen to is SOA, not internet experts. I have always wanted to get the cobb accessport but its not worth voiding the warranty
I agree that if you want to play, you'll have to pay.

I do not agree that in this example, the aftermarket parts caused the failure. Granted, we will never know, but for the folks here with the issue, factory or otherwise, I believe that if the problem is going to happen, it will regardless of upgraded, aftermarket, or factory parts.
xcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #137
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
you gotta pay to play man. thats just how it is. void the warranty and it is a costly repair. the only source that the service dept. should listen to is SOA, not internet experts. I have always wanted to get the cobb accessport but its not worth voiding the warranty
Don't worry, they like to blow up stock too...
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #138
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Hmm, I wonder if I'll have a problem. I asked the dealership specifically about the piston failures. They told me that even with cobb AP and bolt-ons would not void the warranty. This is before I bought the car, and confirmed 2 weeks ago.

When I asked about the STi failures on NASIOC and IWSTi, they also mentioned that for the most part it is a representation of a small community and that the failures are a small population of vehicles.
Better get that in writing bro...
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #139
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2011 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
Better get that in writing bro...
I know my thoughts as well. However, Annapolis Subaru (a vendor here) seems to have a reputation of being a mod friendly dealership. They even sell blouch turbo's.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #140
flat4doniz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263475
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
I know my thoughts as well. However, Annapolis Subaru (a vendor here) seems to have a reputation of being a mod friendly dealership. They even sell blouch turbo's.
true so as fort wayne subaru.......& libertyville subaru too,
flat4doniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #141
mapleleaf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103399
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
2009 Stripped STI
Dirty White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
I know my thoughts as well. However, Annapolis Subaru (a vendor here) seems to have a reputation of being a mod friendly dealership. They even sell blouch turbo's.
My dealer is pretty understanding as well. I had the whole ringland conversation with the GM and regional rep before I bought the car and had their assurance that they would take care of me if I had a failure, which I did.

Most dealers just flat out lie to you though...
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #142
Franko
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193628
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2010 STI
SSM

Default

Im on board..

Model year:2010
Build date:01/10
Purchase date:07/10
Failure date:05/19/2011
Mileage at failure:15,500 KM
ECU recall performed? No
Was car modified? Stage 2

Yep.. happened today..

Car is a 2010 STI with 15,000 km on it. Stage 2 flash with absolutely no knock. IAM was at 1.0 with no knock history. Ive been running this tune ever since I have had the car so its not lean.

Today after a few pulls I notice that something isnt right. It just didnt 'feel' right. No smoke or anything but still.. so I stopped and checked the motor and it seemed to be shaking very strangely. To me it was the shake a missing cyl and therefore a broken ringland. I go home and hook up the laptop and see misfires on cyl #2. I take the plug out, looks fine.. no oil. Compression test the cyl.. 60 psi! Well crap.. broken ringland for sure.

Im bringing it to the dealer tomorrow..

Here it is, your moment of zen..

Franko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #143
bhhamblin
n00b Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 99397
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Clinton, UT
Vehicle:
13 STI, 83 DR30
93 R32 GTS-T, 93 R32 GTR

Default

Model year: 2008
Build date: ??
Purchase date: Dec 2008
Failure date: July 2009
Mileage at failure: 20,xxx
ECU recall performed? No
Was car modified? (If so, list mods)
Cobb AP stage 2

Motor was warrantied and rebuild from a local dealer. The same failure occurred again 7,000 miles later and warranty was void. Ended up going after market 30k miles so far an no issues.
bhhamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #144
Paidfor
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267815
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Workn on my LSX swap
Vehicle:
Be in awe
dont hate .)

Default

This thread should be called (STi ringland failures) in general. The hypercast pistons used in 04 thru present models is crap!!!!! Pull off the lot in your new STi, install forged slugs and be done.. My 04 blew #4 ringlands at 46000 bone stock!
Paidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #145
silver arrow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 25859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Foriderp
Vehicle:
1965 MGB yellow
2008 Black Miata

Default

After owning a WRX and 2 STI's, including the 2008 STI, I won't buy another turbo charged Subaru until they go back to forged, modifiy the pistons to be more robust, or maybe go DI to keep from detonating pistons to peices. The 02 WRX and 05 STi never had issues, but the 2008 lost #2 and #4 at 3500 miles and #4 again at 11,000 miles. 02 and 05 were stage 2 and had custom tunes by reputable tuners. The 08 had a dyno tune and many, many, many hours of road tuning to get it just right and still went through 2 engines. Ended up with forged pistons (mahles) in a new factory short block and it seemed to be running fine at 30,000 miles, but started burning lots of oil after 8k miles so I got rid of it. The first time it blew it was stock, second time was a safe stg 1 tune, and it was on a safe stg 2 tune when it started burning oil again on the forged pistons. Though the pistons are roughly the same from 04 - 11, it's the ECU's that changed. Once Subaru reflashed the 04 STi ECUs, they were fine and all 04 - 06 STi's seemed to easily hold up to stg 2 setups very well. 07+ is when the serious problems really started and worsened with the 08+. I have to believe it is primarily a function of how the ECU works and prevents detonation, as a good safe stg 1 or 2 tune doesn't seem to make any difference in the 07+ cars. These are just my experiences and observations, so subaru fan bois, please don't attack me.

Last edited by silver arrow; 05-20-2011 at 03:15 PM.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #146
trick3d
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202146
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: My Island
Vehicle:
2010 evoru
GG

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
After owning a WRX and 2 STI's, including the 2008 STI, I won't buy another turbo charged Subaru until they go back to forged, modifiy the pistons to be more robust, or maybe go DI to keep from detonating pistons to peices. The 02 WRX and 05 STi never had issues, but the 2008 lost #2 and #4 at 3500 miles and #4 again at 11,000 miles. 02 and 05 were stage 2 and had custom tunes by reputable tuners. The 08 had a dyno tune and many, many, many hours of road tuning to get it just right and still went through 2 engines. Ended up with forged pistons (mahles) in a new factory short block and it seemed to be running fine at 30,000 miles, but started burning lots of oil after 8k miles so I got rid of it. The first time it blew it was stock, second time was a safe stg 1 tune, and it was on a safe stg 2 tune when it started burning oil again on the forged pistons. Though the pistons are roughly the same from 04 - 11, it's the ECU's that changed. Once Subaru reflashed the 04 STi ECUs, they were fine and all 04 - 06 STi's seemed to easily hold up to stg 2 setups very well. 07+ is when the serious problems really started and worsened with the 08+. I have to believe it is primarily a function of how the ECU works and prevents detonation, as a good safe stg 1 or 2 tune doesn't seem to make any difference in the 07+ cars. These are just my experiences and observations, so subaru fan bois, please don't attack me.
Great write up and detail. I'm also leaving Sub. Too many asshats and blown rings.
trick3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #147
YFZ450Lynx
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 260299
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue

Default

I think mine just went, its a 2011 STi I am getting alot of blue smoke at morning start and WOT. ECU CEL goes on saying misfire on Cyl# 2 car idles very rough and alot of blow-by coming out the oil cap. Alot of oil in the intercooler as well. I have 3,000 Miles on it and I will be pulling this motor out myself no way I will trust anyone doing this kind of work on my motor. Plus warranty will just put the same junk made pistons back in it, I will go aftermarket now.
YFZ450Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #148
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2011 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ450Lynx
I think mine just went, its a 2011 STi I am getting alot of blue smoke at morning start and WOT. ECU CEL goes on saying misfire on Cyl# 2 car idles very rough and alot of blow-by coming out the oil cap. Alot of oil in the intercooler as well. I have 3,000 Miles on it and I will be pulling this motor out myself no way I will trust anyone doing this kind of work on my motor. Plus warranty will just put the same junk made pistons back in it, I will go aftermarket now.
What kind of gas do you use?
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #149
Bruins1982
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 240365
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
Sedan WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ450Lynx View Post
I think mine just went, its a 2011 STi I am getting alot of blue smoke at morning start and WOT. ECU CEL goes on saying misfire on Cyl# 2 car idles very rough and alot of blow-by coming out the oil cap. Alot of oil in the intercooler as well. I have 3,000 Miles on it and I will be pulling this motor out myself no way I will trust anyone doing this kind of work on my motor. Plus warranty will just put the same junk made pistons back in it, I will go aftermarket now.
Do you plan on replacing the short block with one that has mostly forged parts or just the pistons? Just curious.
Bruins1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #150
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1982 View Post
Do you plan on replacing the short block with one that has mostly forged parts or just the pistons? Just curious.
The only component in the stock short block that isn't already forged is the pistons.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stock 2007 sti cracked ring lands 07pearlwhiteSti Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 64 12-30-2008 01:41 PM
Anyone know OEM 2.5 sti piston ring thickness? bugeyes Built Motor Discussion 4 06-30-2006 11:14 AM
FS: 06 sti pistons rings rods and pins 4goodtime Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 1 03-06-2006 10:10 AM
sti piston ring spec one wicked wrx Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 15 02-15-2005 05:38 PM
is OEM STI piston rings strong enough?? skyline31 Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 2 01-15-2005 11:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.