Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 26, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default catless vs catted and emissions in nova (vienna/tysons)

Hey guys, i've gotten a lot of different/vague answers on this subject and i wanted some more help in deciding whether to get a catted or catless invidia downpipe. I will have an accessport so the cel won't be a problem, and I would prefer to get the catless due to the much lower cost and slightly better power/flow. However, i do not want to have to switch it out everytime i go in for an emissions inspection, nor do i want to flat out fail. If need be, i will get the catted if enough people tell me i wont pass. Who from va/nova has catless, how do you pass, where do you go for inspection, etc. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Jard
In the silly seat
Moderator
 
Member#: 34935
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Vehicle:
SPB- 2002 ****ing
WRX again

Default

Go catted...save some trees...

You are talking about a TINY TINY TINY performance difference.
Jard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
kcook
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78074
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVA
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Aspen White

Default

i just have 2 downpipes lol. titek catted which is sitting in my room , and invidia catless on my car.

if your just using the car for daily driving(drag or track) , get catted
kcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jard View Post
Go catted...save some trees...

You are talking about a TINY TINY TINY performance difference.
oh yeah i know its a very small difference performance wise, but it is $250 more
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
Detslider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170244
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Summit Point
Vehicle:
sans Subaru

Default

catted. no brainer.
Detslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
Ceez3607
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138243
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fairfax,VA
Vehicle:
07 WRX STI 3076
OBP

Default

I would go catted. I just switched my pipe to the catted one as well.
Ceez3607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
Butt Dyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Catted. $250 more? Get one built. My two cat custom TurboXS downpipe uses Magnaflow high flow cats and they are not expensive at all.
Butt Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
Catted. $250 more? Get one built. My two cat custom TurboXS downpipe uses Magnaflow high flow cats and they are not expensive at all.
and you pass fine?
also doesnt a catted dp (not shorty) remove the midpipe cat while keeping the dp cat?
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
KingChronic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193931
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alex, VA
Vehicle:
04 SVT Cobra
07 F250, 07 Escalade

Default

you wont pass emmisions without cats. only way around it is to register in a county that doesnt have emmisions. i used to have cats on my car but once you get to a certain power level, and so much flow, it just blows cats apart left and right, i was killing a set of cats in a couple months.

my advice wouldbe to just swap it out when emmisions time comes up, only once every 2 years, and its easy enough to get somebody to pass you every year on inspection for no cats.
KingChronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #10
Butt Dyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlarex88 View Post
and you pass fine?
Yep, they are OBDII certified cats. Not useful here, but would be useful in California.
Butt Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Detslider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170244
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Summit Point
Vehicle:
sans Subaru

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChronic View Post
i used to have cats on my car but once you get to a certain power level, and so much flow, it just blows cats apart left and right, i was killing a set of cats in a couple months.
It's probably safe to say that his WRX is a long way from getting the flow neccesary for this to be a problem.

BTW you should start a thread about your car/cars in the Members Gallery or Power Bragging section. The only glimpse I caught last night of your Cobra was when you were leaving with the SRT-4.
Detslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChronic View Post
you wont pass emmisions without cats. only way around it is to register in a county that doesnt have emmisions. i used to have cats on my car but once you get to a certain power level, and so much flow, it just blows cats apart left and right, i was killing a set of cats in a couple months.

my advice wouldbe to just swap it out when emmisions time comes up, only once every 2 years, and its easy enough to get somebody to pass you every year on inspection for no cats.
is a dp easy enough to change yourself? i dont want to do it wrong and have a leak or anything, now would i want to have to take it to mach v everytime for $100 just to pass.
and you said its easy enough to get somebody to pass you catless, what do you mean find a good place or what?
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detslider View Post
It's probably safe to say that his WRX is a long way from getting the flow neccesary for this to be a problem.

BTW you should start a thread about your car/cars in the Members Gallery or Power Bragging section. The only glimpse I caught last night of your Cobra was when you were leaving with the SRT-4.
im definitely not there now, but could it be a problem with a big 16g down the road?
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
KingChronic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193931
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alex, VA
Vehicle:
04 SVT Cobra
07 F250, 07 Escalade

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detslider View Post
It's probably safe to say that his WRX is a long way from getting the flow neccesary for this to be a problem.

BTW you should start a thread about your car/cars in the Members Gallery or Power Bragging section. The only glimpse I caught last night of your Cobra was when you were leaving with the SRT-4.
i have no reason to brag really, people on the net know what i have. yeah there was me and another cobra, the other was just a 01, mines the one with the CF hood, and mischief sticker. if poalo lets me know when the next meet is, ill come out.
KingChronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
KingChronic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193931
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alex, VA
Vehicle:
04 SVT Cobra
07 F250, 07 Escalade

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlarex88 View Post
is a dp easy enough to change yourself? i dont want to do it wrong and have a leak or anything, now would i want to have to take it to mach v everytime for $100 just to pass.
and you said its easy enough to get somebody to pass you catless, what do you mean find a good place or what?
DP can be changed out with some basic handtools, jack and a few jackstands.

theres really no getting around emmissions without cats, its only every 2 years, but on state inspection which is every year they visually inspect for cats, and its ussually not hard to find somebody to pass you on that, just find a inspector who is pretty cool and slip them a $20 or $50. just if you ever get pulled over, you put the offroad DP on after inspection.
KingChronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChronic View Post
DP can be changed out with some basic handtools, jack and a few jackstands.

theres really no getting around emmissions without cats, its only every 2 years, but on state inspection which is every year they visually inspect for cats, and its ussually not hard to find somebody to pass you on that, just find a inspector who is pretty cool and slip them a $20 or $50. just if you ever get pulled over, you put the offroad DP on after inspection.
Yeah i dont think all that is worth being catless. I'll probably just get catted which may even save money in the long run and prevent the hassle.

A catted dp w/stage 3 and a 16g would be fine right?
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
TurbojonLS
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 38772
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NOVA
Vehicle:
2 Cars, No Bling

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlarex88 View Post
Yeah i dont think all that is worth being catless. I'll probably just get catted which may even save money in the long run and prevent the hassle.

A catted dp w/stage 3 and a 16g would be fine right?
And upgraded turbo is stage 4, but yes, millions of people have catted downpipes and upgraded turbos.
TurbojonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbojonLS View Post
And upgraded turbo is stage 4, but yes, millions of people have catted downpipes and upgraded turbos.
what is stage 3 then?
ive seen people call their vf34/16g setups stage 3 and even sometimes stage 2.5
isnt stage 4 18g+?
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
TurbojonLS
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 38772
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NOVA
Vehicle:
2 Cars, No Bling

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlarex88 View Post
what is stage 3 then?
ive seen people call their vf34/16g setups stage 3 and even sometimes stage 2.5
isnt stage 4 18g+?
There are a few different configurations, but most of the world (unless you're Cobb or Vishnu) uses the following:

Stage 0 - Stock
Stage 1 - EM only
Stage 2 - TBE and EM (usually an uppipe)
Stage 3 - Stage 2 + upgraded intercooler
Stage 4 - Upgraded Turbo

Vishnu 0 = EM, 1 = TBE and uppipe, 2 = upgraded turbo
Cobb Stage 2 is the same, then stage 2.5 is upgraded turbo
TurbojonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
2010GGMLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 105480
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbojonLS View Post
There are a few different configurations, but most of the world (unless you're Cobb or Vishnu) uses the following:

Stage 0 - Stock
Stage 1 - EM only
Stage 2 - TBE and EM (usually an uppipe)
Stage 3 - Stage 2 + upgraded intercooler
Stage 4 - Upgraded Turbo

Vishnu 0 = EM, 1 = TBE and uppipe, 2 = upgraded turbo
Cobb Stage 2 is the same, then stage 2.5 is upgraded turbo

That is some good info...thanks...

Mark
2010GGMLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #21
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbojonLS View Post
There are a few different configurations, but most of the world (unless you're Cobb or Vishnu) uses the following:

Stage 0 - Stock
Stage 1 - EM only
Stage 2 - TBE and EM (usually an uppipe)
Stage 3 - Stage 2 + upgraded intercooler
Stage 4 - Upgraded Turbo

Vishnu 0 = EM, 1 = TBE and uppipe, 2 = upgraded turbo
Cobb Stage 2 is the same, then stage 2.5 is upgraded turbo
Ok that makes sense. Im going to be Cobb Stage 2 but i also have a larger tmic, but i believe stage 2 is what i have to use if i dont want a protune yet. Is that correct?
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #22
KingChronic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193931
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Alex, VA
Vehicle:
04 SVT Cobra
07 F250, 07 Escalade

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlarex88 View Post
Yeah i dont think all that is worth being catless. I'll probably just get catted which may even save money in the long run and prevent the hassle.

A catted dp w/stage 3 and a 16g would be fine right?
i dont think you would get hassled that much, ive never seen or heard of a cop pulling somebody over and checking for cats, im sure they have, i just havnt heard of it. i drive the loudest car ive ever heard, longtubes, offroad X, magnaflow catback with magnapacks, and you can smell gas for 200 yards behind me, and ive never been pulled over or ticketed for exhaust. ive had cops looking to this to write me tickets for, but never got a exhuast ticket, or had them ask about, or check for cats. but they also seem to mess with imports more than domestics, my friends in their imports get pulled all the time for exhaust, and never once have i ever heard of a cop pulling a friend with a stang, camaro, or vette over for exhaust. only thing ive ever got pulled for is window tint, and tailight tint, both which are techinically legal, they just pull me over and check it out anyway.

if you dont want to worry about it, i'd just get the catted. if you run high boost though its going to start shortening the life of the cats. one day they just blow out. also the bigger exhaust you have helps too, takes some pressure off the exhaust. but the more power you make, and the higher RPM's you run the more exhaust pressure you build up, and it just shakes them apart over time.
KingChronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChronic View Post
i dont think you would get hassled that much, ive never seen or heard of a cop pulling somebody over and checking for cats, im sure they have, i just havnt heard of it. i drive the loudest car ive ever heard, longtubes, offroad X, magnaflow catback with magnapacks, and you can smell gas for 200 yards behind me, and ive never been pulled over or ticketed for exhaust. ive had cops looking to this to write me tickets for, but never got a exhuast ticket, or had them ask about, or check for cats. but they also seem to mess with imports more than domestics, my friends in their imports get pulled all the time for exhaust, and never once have i ever heard of a cop pulling a friend with a stang, camaro, or vette over for exhaust. only thing ive ever got pulled for is window tint, and tailight tint, both which are techinically legal, they just pull me over and check it out anyway.

if you dont want to worry about it, i'd just get the catted. if you run high boost though its going to start shortening the life of the cats. one day they just blow out. also the bigger exhaust you have helps too, takes some pressure off the exhaust. but the more power you make, and the higher RPM's you run the more exhaust pressure you build up, and it just shakes them apart over time.
Yeah i meant hassle more with having to change it for inspections and pay bribes which could add up to about as much as the extra for the catted is.
I probably won't be running boost over 18 for a while, and if i do i can see about switching then.
Thanks for the help.
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #24
Jard
In the silly seat
Moderator
 
Member#: 34935
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Vehicle:
SPB- 2002 ****ing
WRX again

Default

You can also snatch up a nice used Cobb or Helix catted DP, or TXS full stealthback from someone here and save yourself some money. No reason at all to buy new exhaust stuff, IMHO.
Jard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #25
borlarex88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192628
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jard View Post
You can also snatch up a nice used Cobb or Helix catted DP, or TXS full stealthback from someone here and save yourself some money. No reason at all to buy new exhaust stuff, IMHO.
yeah i was looking for an invidia catted downpipe, so if anyone is selling one and sees this let me know
borlarex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
catless vs. catted Down Pipe! jonpark Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 11 02-02-2008 11:44 AM
Catless vs. Catted... the power created? J Ho Newbies & FAQs 40 02-28-2005 10:04 PM
n00b question about emissions in NoVA John S Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 18 12-27-2004 08:35 PM
TurboXS TBE Catless vs Catted Ozy Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 18 05-13-2004 11:02 PM
Confused: all exhaust related (TXS SB catless vs. catted and noises) hokiewrx Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 12 03-21-2003 07:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.