Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #376
AlexxAnDerDisco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320638
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West Virginia
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Excellent post! I was looking around for a thread about this before I checked the sticky section. I'm a new WRX owner and was looking in to a BOV for her, now I kind of know what to look for. Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AlexxAnDerDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #377
SperrySTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320579
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Beautiful northern california
Vehicle:
2005 STI ;)
Silver

Default

HOW MUCH HORSEPOWERS DO I GET FROM THE TURBOZ?!?! Just kidding hahaha

Great thread! Glad I stumbled upon this before making other posts and looking like an idiot... I think I'm gonna stick with the stock bov
SperrySTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #378
jwong1208
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308816
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Cedar Grove
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Obsidian

Default

2012 WRX

Goal: 280-300 whp on a safe conservative tune.
Location: Cedar Grove NJ; 300 Ft
Shop: EFI Logics - mustang dyno i believe
Fuel: 93 Octane
FMIC?: Not anytime soon.

all i really want to know is: is a tbe exhaust and a conservative "stage 2" tune enough?
rather not run into any boost creep problems; if im most likely going to run into them, would it be smart to invest in an ewg before the tune and tune it accordingly? only got one tune so i want to make the most out of it.
jwong1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #379
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

You don't need an ewg. You'll be fine. You should be pretty close to the numbers you want on the dyno. EFI seems to be an excellent shop (I've never dealt with them, but get high praise on the forums), if you have questions, give them a call.
rexblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #380
joedr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322449
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Excellent write up! Will follow on my posts.
joedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #381
Nawratil
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306659
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Round Rock, TX
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Obsidean Black Pearl

Default

I want 300whp
2012wrx hatch
Whatever dyno is at cobb tuning austin
Fmic is ok
93pump
Nawratil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #382
ben_art
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 172635
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

what would it take for that on 91 pump too, please! ^^^^^^^
ben_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #383
Nawratil
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306659
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Round Rock, TX
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Obsidean Black Pearl

Default

Anyone??
Nawratil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #384
amalgrover
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183480
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Valdosta, GA
Vehicle:
2011 Audi A3 Quattro
2009 Forester XT

Default

honestly, a turboback exhaust and a tune should put you pretty close on a 2012 WRX. you should have no problem reaching your goals with one of the nicer aftermarket tmic and an upgraded boost control solenoid. the stock bcs and intercooler do okay, but the nicer aftermarket ones are so much better in terms of performance its not even funny.

here's a video to give you an idea...

amalgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #385
Subie_Noob_Brian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288037
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: University Place, WA
Vehicle:
2015 LightingRed WRX
11' WRX sold**14' XV sold

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgrover View Post
honestly, a turboback exhaust and a tune should put you pretty close on a 2012 WRX. you should have no problem reaching your goals with one of the nicer aftermarket tmic and an upgraded boost control solenoid. the stock bcs and intercooler do okay, but the nicer aftermarket ones are so much better in terms of performance its not even funny.

here's a video to give you an idea...

302 WHP / 350 WTQ - 2010 Subaru WRX - COBB Tuning Plano - YouTube


These numbers are kind of a joke. Everywhere you go your going to get different numbers every single time. If you want to say you have a 300HP car with just a DP and tune then find the highest reading dyno around.

As for me I dont car what the numbers are as long as the AFR, boost, no knock, ect are all good. Then go run your car on the drag strip and let the car do the talking not the dyno number.
Subie_Noob_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #386
amalgrover
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183480
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Valdosta, GA
Vehicle:
2011 Audi A3 Quattro
2009 Forester XT

Default

well, fortunately, you weren't the one who asked the question, and with requirements like your's you probably save quite a bit of money because ZERO aftermarket parts or tunes are required to achieve those things.

getting ballpark numbers from a similar dyno to what you will be using isn't a bad idea. it kind of gives you an idea of what parts you need to accomplish the goal of how you want the car to drive. maybe he rode in a wrx that had 300whp, and that is exactly how he wants his car to drive. just modding pointlessly with no goal to work towards is kinda dumb and can be very expensive. it may work for some people, but some people like to plan things out, make checklists for parts they want/need to buy, and work towards a specific goal.

fyi, the cobb tuning facility in plano, tx vs. the cobb tuning facility in austin, tx is going to have almost ZERO changes to atmospheric conditions (obviously your conditions from day to day will move around based on the weather but you get what i am saying), dyno type, dyno calibration, tuner, etc...so, for him, that video is VERY informative (that is alot of the reason that i posted THAT SPECIFIC video).

another thing is that cobb tuning DEFINITELY doesn't have what is considered a high reading dyno.
amalgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #387
RavingLunatic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76673
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STi
Crystal Grey Metallic

Default

Ok guys, what do you think I will make once I'm am off my break in tune. I have an 06 STi and will have maps for 93 pump gas and E85. I will be tuned on a mustang dyno. Here are my current mods. I will post my dyno sheet once I get my protune.


KS Tech 83mm Type 2
Perrin 3in Turbo Inlet
FP Green HTA Turbo
Process West Intercooler w/splitter
TGV Deletes
GrimmSpeed Phenolic Spacers 8mm
DW300 Fuel Pump
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regular
Stainless Steel Fuel lines w/-6 AN Fittings
ID 1000cc Fuel Injector Kit (Top Feed Conversion)
Wiseco Forged Pistons 99.5mm
Gates Timing Kit
Group N Mounts (ENG/TRANS)
GrimmSpeed Up-Pipe
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
Turbo XS Turbo Back Exhaust
Stainless Steel Clutch and Brake Lines
GrimmSpeed EBC
ACT StreetLite Clutch/Flywheel
RavingLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #388
amalgrover
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183480
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Valdosta, GA
Vehicle:
2011 Audi A3 Quattro
2009 Forester XT

Default

just a ballpark guess, but i would say 350-375whp on 93oct and 375-425whp on e85...
amalgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #389
Nawratil
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306659
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Round Rock, TX
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Obsidean Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgrover
well, fortunately, you weren't the one who asked the question, and with requirements like your's you probably save quite a bit of money because ZERO aftermarket parts or tunes are required to achieve those things.

getting ballpark numbers from a similar dyno to what you will be using isn't a bad idea. it kind of gives you an idea of what parts you need to accomplish the goal of how you want the car to drive. maybe he rode in a wrx that had 300whp, and that is exactly how he wants his car to drive. just modding pointlessly with no goal to work towards is kinda dumb and can be very expensive. it may work for some people, but some people like to plan things out, make checklists for parts they want/need to buy, and work towards a specific goal.

fyi, the cobb tuning facility in plano, tx vs. the cobb tuning facility in austin, tx is going to have almost ZERO changes to atmospheric conditions (obviously your conditions from day to day will move around based on the weather but you get what i am saying), dyno type, dyno calibration, tuner, etc...so, for him, that video is VERY informative (that is alot of the reason that i posted THAT SPECIFIC video).

another thing is that cobb tuning DEFINITELY doesn't have what is considered a high reading dyno.
Thanks all great info
Nawratil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #390
Doc_Auc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325499
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingLunatic View Post
Ok guys, what do you think I will make once I'm am off my break in tune. I have an 06 STi and will have maps for 93 pump gas and E85. I will be tuned on a mustang dyno. Here are my current mods. I will post my dyno sheet once I get my protune.


KS Tech 83mm Type 2
Perrin 3in Turbo Inlet
FP Green HTA Turbo
Process West Intercooler w/splitter
TGV Deletes
GrimmSpeed Phenolic Spacers 8mm
DW300 Fuel Pump
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regular
Stainless Steel Fuel lines w/-6 AN Fittings
ID 1000cc Fuel Injector Kit (Top Feed Conversion)
Wiseco Forged Pistons 99.5mm
Gates Timing Kit
Group N Mounts (ENG/TRANS)
GrimmSpeed Up-Pipe
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
Turbo XS Turbo Back Exhaust
Stainless Steel Clutch and Brake Lines
GrimmSpeed EBC
ACT StreetLite Clutch/Flywheel
With very similar mods I'm getting 426 awhp/420 wtq on 93 and 534 awhp/463 wtq on E85. The only major difference I see between ours is that I'm running 252/252 cams. Tune was done by Junior at P&L on a Dynojet, so your numbers will probably be a little lower. Either way, car is an absolute beast from ~4.5k-7.5 (redline set at 7.8).
Doc_Auc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #391
RavingLunatic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76673
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STi
Crystal Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Auc

With very similar mods I'm getting 426 awhp/420 wtq on 93 and 534 awhp/463 wtq on E85. The only major difference I see between ours is that I'm running 252/252 cams. Tune was done by Junior at P&L on a Dynojet, so your numbers will probably be a little lower. Either way, car is an absolute beast from ~4.5k-7.5 (redline set at 7.8).
What difference did the cams make on your setup? I don't understand the benefit of them yet
RavingLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #392
Doc_Auc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325499
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingLunatic View Post
What difference did the cams make on your setup? I don't understand the benefit of them yet
Honestly, the engine was built at one time and not piece-by-piece, so I don't know. I do know that changing out cams is pretty labor intensive, so if your engine is already put together and in the car, the cost/benefit is something to consider.

In terms of the benefits and which cam to select, your best bet is to talk with your tuner/engine builder or post a question in the built motor area. Typically, cams will affect either top end or mid range depending on what cams you get. It generally is a good idea to run different cams if you have a bigger turbo though. You may also have to run a higher idle and driveability will be reduced a bit with cams that produce more power at the top of the range.

Here's a link with info on the cams I have: http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/inf/pdf/110-English.pdf
Doc_Auc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #393
exxtreme13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326636
Join Date: Jul 2012
Cool informative, but is there a better way?

this is all good information, but is there anyone who has but on various mods and tested them on engine dynos? this would eliminate variations on wheel dynos and give a better answer as to what mods people might want to do first.
exxtreme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #394
amalgrover
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183480
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Valdosta, GA
Vehicle:
2011 Audi A3 Quattro
2009 Forester XT

Default

i think that you are asking for too much here ^

...you are talking about a tuner using hours upon hours and days upon days of their free time (since they wouldn't be getting ANY money whatsoever) to test certain setups on their dyno for no reason other than to help you pick parts. thing is, even if you took the same car on the same dyno on the same day and swapped out the engine with an exact same engine, the dyno numbers will more than likely change. this is because every machine is going to be a little bit different. so even if one tuner did this, it wouldn't really help you much.
amalgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #395
Doc_Auc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325499
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxtreme13 View Post
this is all good information, but is there anyone who has but on various mods and tested them on engine dynos? this would eliminate variations on wheel dynos and give a better answer as to what mods people might want to do first.
Tomei, and other cam manufacturers, have tested all of the cams they produce and have .pdfs available that show the differences the cams will produce. Google will help you find that info, but once again, your best bet is to talk with your tuner. Chances are, they have built several cars to various levels, so they can tell you roughly what to expect from a certain set of modifications.
Doc_Auc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #396
Gopedguy101
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327692
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Great info!
Gopedguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #397
iRaWr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243008
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Afghanistan-land
Vehicle:
2012 STi Limited
SWP

Default

2012 STi Limited

1. HP at the WHEELS? - 320-340WHP

2. What type of dyno are you going to be shooting for this number on? - Mustang

3. If possible, tell us what shop it is. Someone may know how high or low that particular dyno reads. - COBB TUNING SoCal

4. Where do you live? If not a well known city, what is the elevation? - 20FT (twenty feet above sea level)

5. What kind of gas will you be using? - 91

6. Are you opposed to a FMIC? Nope

I am currently deployed to Afghanistan right now. When i get home im planning on modding my car for a little more fun. I have owned a 07 WRX an 06 STi and now my 12 STi. Ive looked at lots of posts to see what i should do first.
To start i was thinking of getting...

-Perrin Downpipe
-Catback Quad tip Exhaust
-Perrin Turbo Inlet Tube
-Perrin CAI
-TVG Deletes
-Tomei Unequal Length Headers
-Tomei uppipe
-Accessport
-Protune from COBB

Last edited by iRaWr; 08-11-2012 at 04:02 AM.
iRaWr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #398
PHRESHKHID
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 298472
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2014 FRS

Default

2003 WRX

1. HP at the WHEELS? - 250-280whp

2. What type of dyno are you going to be shooting for this number on? - Mustang

3. If possible, tell us what shop it is. Someone may know how high or low that particular dyno reads. - EFI - Connecticut

4. Where do you live? If not a well known city, what is the elevation? - Hartford , CT

5. What kind of gas will you be using? - 93

6. Are you opposed to a FMIC? rather stick to tmic
PHRESHKHID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #399
gs300cky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296248
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Aurora, CO
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
wrb

Default

2005 WRX

Goal: 300 whp on a conservative tune.
Location: poplar bluff, mo 361 Ft
Shop: Et tuning- dyno jet
Fuel: 93 Octane
FMIC?: Not anytime soon but later yes
gs300cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #400
mjj347
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331469
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Since dyno numbers are so variant, I would rather ask what I would need to do to gain ~25% engine output. I have a 2004 wrx and, i woukd like it to feel a little more powerful in 1-3 gear and at possibly lower rpms.
93octane fuel, 2000ft elevation. Staying tmic, since im not looking for anything extreme.
Looking for 50-80 hp increase, so the car has that punch when the turbo spools up.
Thanks!
mjj347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iím flying to Orlando. What do I need to do in the airport and what to bring home? KingGalantVr4 Off-Topic 37 01-15-2010 12:49 AM
what do I need to hit 250whp? juvenescence Newbies & FAQs 27 10-07-2009 11:47 PM
What do I need to hit 350-375 HP? pipchick Newbies & FAQs 49 08-15-2009 05:04 PM
I want to do my own 30,000 mile service, what do I need to do? Drav Service & Maintenance 12 06-20-2005 07:43 AM
('93-'01) what do i need to do to try and get an autocross/Solo2 here...HELP! SuBaRu-ImPrEzA_RS Impreza Forum 2 06-03-2001 11:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.