Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-23-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever

Member#: 369
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
12 Vagon

Default 2008 STi stereo setup opinions wanted

I have been out of the audio game for a few years so I am not sure what is good and what is crap nowadays.

I am looking for a budget setup that handles most music types pretty well. I listen to many types of music so I looking for something that plays a good range of music well.

In doing some searches it seems like this would be a good setup based on the current popular recomendations of products...

2008 Impreza WRX STi - base stereo (no nav)
  • Pioneer AVIC-F90BT - already ordered
  • JDM AV Panel - already ordered
  • Alpine PDX-4.150 or PDX-4.100 - would prefer a 4 channel for ease of install, but willing to do 2 amps if needed
  • Phoenix Gold RSD65CS - Component Front Speakers, front channels of amp
  • Phoenix Gold RSD6 - Coaxial rear speakers, powered by the head unit
  • Phoenix Gold RSD10 - likely in an audio integrations perfect fit box, as it takes me a month to build a box nowadays

I have a good amount of ensolite and raammat from my last install so I will be using that as well.

For reference my Forester has an Alpine 9835 Deck, PG ZX475 amp, Boston Pros front stage, stock rear stage (powered by the deck), and a Elemental Designs SQ10 in a fiberglass box I built under the passenger seat. I am pretty happy with the sound of that setup (love the front stage sub), but I wouldn't mind having a bit more low end extension. That is the trade off for having a shallow sub with low excursion though.

I have another SQ10 that I never used, but there isn't a great spot to use it in the STi. It won't fit under the seat for front stage subwoofer, so if I have to put it in the hatch I figure I may as well get a subwoofer with a little more excursion.

I would like to have a simple system that doesn't add a lot of weight, and the sub setup easily removable for track days now. I also have 2 young kids so I can't have a huge box in the hatch, and the amp will go under the front seat.

I think I covered most of the questions you guys normally ask when the n00bs ask for advice. Go easy on me.

Last edited by AaronB; 11-23-2008 at 02:12 AM.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
dyno
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164582

2 amps is alittle more flexible. Case in point, I have a RSDC10.4 which is dual voice coil, nominally 4ohm each. They actually measured out at 1.8ohm each so I ended up changing course midway through the install and got a 1 ohm stable mono amp to accomodate the lower impedance. A PDX-5 would be nice but the F90BT doesn't look like it will allow you go run the front separates active rather than using the stock crossovers....you'd have 2 spare channels though which allows for upgrading at minimal expense.

If you like the Boston Pro's....I'm not sure if the RSD65's will turn your crank. Lots of midbass but alittle coarse sounding.

The RSDC10 isn't very deep...but I doubt it'll fit into the AI box which is designed for a flat sub.

We have a very similar system design.....with simlar restraints with regard to retaining the utility of the vehicle. Booster seats need room.

Just my hurried thoughts.
dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever

Vehicle:
12 Vagon

I sent a note asking AI if the woofer should fit. It looks like it is

Magnet Diameter: 6.805"
Depth as top mount: 5.367"

if the rubber cover is removed from the magnet it drops to 4 7/8" depth.

I would love to get another set of Boston Pros, but I don't want to spend that much this time around. I would like to be able to get front/rear/sub for the street price of the Pros.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Audiosavvy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 150794
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
Qcab dakota 4x4
LT1 Formula Firebird

The single PDX-4.150 will be perfect to run the front/subwoofer. Very small and powerful, and the subwoofer channel will get WELL over 300 watts at anywhere from 4-8 ohms, so it's pretty versatile. If you've got the extra dough, you could go with the PDX-1.600 as a dedicated subwoofer amp, but you really don't need to unless you're going for the ultimate. Sounds like you've done some searching, and your choice of setup so far is a good one .

By the way, a ninja would pwn a pirate, no question about it .
Audiosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Good picture Audiosavvy. It looks like this pirate is going down alright. He doesn't even have his own sword to defend himself with. Just your basic hook.

It took me a little while to understand the reason why you posted the picture.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
jakesti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 130209
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
07 STI
LMTD

Smile Just listed Perfict Fit Box with JL W6v2 D-4 on ebay

hey aaron, i noticed you might be buying an audi integrations perfect fit enclosure. i actually just posted mine for sale on ebay about an hour ago :-) There is absolutley nothing wrong with it, i am selling my whole system cuz i just got an 05 745i. yeah, i'm getting old. point is, i don't want to rip apart my idrive and dash on that car....only has 18k on it! plus the stock harmon kardon isn't too bad. I will aslo be listing my ddx-8019 tonight as well as an eclipse xa-1000 and xa-4000 mounted on an audio integrations amp rack for the wrx/sti with a 5 farad cap. also, if your in to sound quality, you may know morels. i have not even thought about listing them yet, but i have a set of morel elate 6 that the local shop made up beautiful mdf spacers for that will eventually be going also.
anyway, the listing for the box and sub are here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190268996449
jakesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
jakesti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 130209
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
07 STI
LMTD

Unhappy Ooops!

sorry aaron, just realized that you have on 08'. i didn't look but i know it wont fit the hatchback. well good luck to you sir.
jakesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever

Vehicle:
12 Vagon

Ai said the sub should fit, so I think the RSD10 and the sub box are confirmed.

Just have to decide if the RSD front and rear speakers are the right way to go

Leaning towards the PDX-4.150 for the amp fight now. Is 300 enough for the RSD10 sub?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Audiosavvy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 150794
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
Qcab dakota 4x4
LT1 Formula Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
Is 300 enough for the RSD10 sub?

It will birth at over 300 (my 4.150 does 188 per channel) and YES, it's more than sufficient.
Audiosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever

Vehicle:
12 Vagon

Thanks for the info. I went on an ordering rampage tonight...

RSD10, RSD65 coaxials, RSD65CS Components, Wiring Kit, Alpine PDX-4.150, and AI box...

Just need to score the wiring harness and I am ready to go...

I better get the Credit card bill before the wife sees it this month
Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever

Vehicle:
12 Vagon

Forgot to ask about the steering wheel interface for the 2008 and the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT. I have read a bunch of conflicting opinions that they don't work very well for some reason. Anyone have any luck with them?