Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Canada Region Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Regional Areas > Canada Region Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-26-2002, 09:07 PM   #1
mart242
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16314
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Default Having fun in the snow??

I'll be getting my brand new RS on thursday... So to say "adios" to my Golf, I took it for a spin in the empty streets near where I live (really empty streets, no houses have been built yet, and there was about 5 - 10cm of fresh snow...)

I was taking a few 90 degrees turns and drifting the rear like if I was driving a rally car. (I must admit that looking at the Corsica WRC on Speedvision today did help quite a bit to set up the mood...).

During this time, I was wondering if it's possible to do such things with an AWD without driving at 80kph and risking killing yourself like they do on in the WRC. I guess that using the handbrake on an AWD isn't a good idea at all... (maybe if you press the clutch it's ok?).

Now... my question is: will I be able to do drifts like that with my RS? (is it even possible since it doesn't have a locking diff?)

Thanks and enjoy the snow while you can! Go ahead, take your subies in empty streets full of snow! (but be careful...)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:26 AM   #2
tekriter
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 13513
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza 2.5 RS
Silver

Sorry. I meant to reply, but clicked wrong. See "Be Careful" thread.
tekriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 02:16 PM   #3
Ging
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3258
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza TS
Silver

I'm not sure, but wouldn't pulling the hand brake lock up your rears, while leaving the fronts spinning? I would imagine that this is not good for the diff that distributes power between front and rear ne?
Ging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 03:31 PM   #4
tekriter
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 13513
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza 2.5 RS
Silver

It is a differential and can therefore allow the axles to spin at different speeds. No doubt it would be bad for it if you did it at high speed, with a torque load, or all the time. It shouldn't be a big problem to give it a yank once and a while, but why bother? It's an AWD car and you can learn to weight transfer to get a drift going.
tekriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:15 PM   #5
mart242
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16314
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies... I guess I'll practice next year... The snow is melting and most of it will be gone this week-end!
mart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 09:11 AM   #6
Legacy
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 10188
Vehicle:
2007 Forester XT

With practice you can drift ANY subaru !
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote