Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 1, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-29-2015, 12:43 AM   #1
db97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7140
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
satin white pearl

Default 2009 WRX alternator caught fire tonight...

did a quick search on the forums and didn't see anything about this. has anyone had this happen to their WRX (2009)?

i took the car to the dealer for an oil change 2 weeks ago, and while it was there, the service guy tells me the alternator belt is cracked, and they would like to replace it for $79. i tell them sure, why not. well, tonight...as i was leaving my parents' home, i heard a strange mechanical whooshing sound from my engine. the CEL came on, and then i started to smell something burning under the hood. mind you i hadn't gone but more than a hundred feet or so down the street. i proceeded to shut off the engine, but to my amazement, it sounded like the alternator was still running? i then restarted the engine, and that loud sound went away...but the burning smell became more pronounced. i then drove the car back into the driveway, and parked it. not but a few minutes later, white acrid smoke began pouring out of my hood scoop. i opened the hood, and to my shock, the alternator was glowing red with a small flame emanating from the plastic housing. i ran and got some fire extinguishers to put it out. i emptied a small extinguisher, and then half of another to put out the fire. the car was then towed to my dealer where they will be examining the car monday morning. has anyone ever had such a thing happen to them? my car is bone stock. this situation could've been a lot worse had i gotten onto the highway (i.e. no extinguisher).
db97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
Blktrax
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220971
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 213K Mi.
Original Motor and Turbo

Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #3
blkstar15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 363892
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch Prem
SWP

^why would you post that? Anyways, they may blame it on a crap alternator and stick you with the bill. I would ask the dealer who performed the belt change if they tested the alternator, and if no then why not? At least get them to pay for labor! Good luck!!!

Last edited by blkstar15; 11-29-2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: edit
blkstar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
silvercookie
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 180033
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
PSM

That definitely sounds like something touching and shorting out in one way or another.
silvercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
db97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7140
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
satin white pearl

Default actually...it wasn't the alternator that was on fire...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

here's a pic of the part...it's to the right of the alternator...i mistook it for the actual alternator. it was glowing red and on fire. you can see the singe marks (black marks).

question to the mechanic folks...what exactly is this part? either way, parts of the engine just don't catch fire like that. this kinda of looks like a distributor cap, but modern cars don't use distributor caps anymore...i think.
db97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
Spinnich
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348275
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX Sdn
WR Blue

Correct, you don't have a distributor cap. Your link doesn't seem to be working but the only thing that I can guess you mean is the A/C Compressor, it's about the same size as the alternator and hooked up to front belts.
Spinnich is offline   Reply With Quote