Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday April 25, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
MStarmer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 190487
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Red

Question '08 Impreza fuel filler door

I tried searching this topic but got very few hits, probably due to the name of the gas door/fuel filler.

Upon purchasing my Impreza a few months ago the first time I went to fill up I found that pulling the lever failed to open the fuel filler door. To me it felt like the cable was not pulling far enough. Luckily I was just topping off the tank and not sitting there with the fuel light on.. A trip back to the dealer and it was magically fixed by them "bending" the latch on the filler door to adjust the engagement. I asked about any cable adjustment and they just kind of shrugged me off. Problem solved I thought.

Here comes yesterday, my last fill up was 11/11 so it had been awhile since the door had been open and I found it would not open again. While pulling up on the lever and someone else pushing in on the door it will finally pop. After getting it to open it seemed to open fine after that. I know it wasn't frozen as the car is garaged and it wasn't nearly cold enough.

So after my long winded post my question is if there are any adjustments that can be made to shorten/tighten the cable so it pulls far enough to pop the door. When looking at the plunger when the lever is pulled to maximum throw it doesn't seem to move very far.

Thanks for any help!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MStarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Take it back to the dealer. 9 times out of 10 though, it's the old bend the piece on the door out or in a little bit more trick. Mine used to be tricky in my 04 until I did some bending myself. Not sure if there's an adjustment or not though.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
MStarmer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Red

I figured there should be some sort of adjustment kind of like a clutch cable on a m/c or car. That would just be crazy thinking I'm sure!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
MStarmer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Take it back to the dealer. 9 times out of 10 though, it's the old bend the piece on the door out or in a little bit more trick. Mine used to be tricky in my 04 until I did some bending myself. Not sure if there's an adjustment or not though.
Well I figured it couldn't be that hard so I gave it a more thorough look today. I pulled out the trunk cover on the inside and the little cover over the pull handle for the release to see if there was any adjustment at all. At both ends it's pretty much a set length cable (which seems stupid to me). I tried marking the latch plate on the door to see exactly where it is striking. I ended up bending it to hit more squarely and then until it wouldn't stay latched at all then incrementely until I felt it was just right. If nothing else I found out I can pop the two fasteners out and just reach in from the trunk and remove the cable to open it if worse came to worse.