|12-10-2008, 02:38 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Osaka, JapanVehicle:
funky dunky cel
pretty long story..i'll try to make it as short as possible.
Before i say anything, i have an 02 rs with ganzflow, borla headers, apexi n1. stock cats, about 77k miles.
i got a a cel a while ago, probably almost half a year ago. i thought it was p0420, and knowing that i had borla headers, i ignored it. a little later, i plugged my drl back in (the plug in the engine compartment), and the cel went away. i posted a thread about this on nasioc a while ago. of course, i was told that it might come back later, which it did. i ignored it again, and continued with my business, and few months later i got jdm projectors with hid, and i unplugged my drl again.
a week ago, i got a scanner, and finally pulled the code. it was a p1111 code tried searching, not a lot of info on it (compared to other codes), but found out it had some relation with the ecu and/or map. i tried clearing the code, but the cel will just blink once and stay on. and every time i started the car after clearing the code, the car will stall, but it will start fine on second attempt. so, i took out the map sensor, and cleaned it and put it back in, reset ecu. still pulled the code. the strange thing was that my car would stall after i tried to start it, but it will start fine on the second try. the cel will be off for the first 5 seconds, and then come back on.
soooo, i tried plugging the drl back in (knowing that it had nothing to do with the code) just for the heck of it. no more cel. huh........
well, i knew i had to drive the car for a bit to get the ecu do its diagnostics.
after about 50 miles, the cel came back on, however its the p0420 code
i don't know if the drl has any relation between the p1111 or the p0420...
1) the p1111 could have just gone, but might come back on again and the p0420 might have just came on by coincidence after the ordeal with the p1111
2) my car has the munchies.
i've read up on the p0420 codes (type in search, and have been reading threads for about 2 hours now lol).
some info i gathered
people with p1111 said that their cars didn't run smoothly and what not. however, my car ran fine. i always checked my fuel economy to see how my car is doing, and i get 23-24 on average (about 50 hwy 50 city).
as far on the p0420 side,
1) i do have borla headers...so theres the whole not enough heat or what not side.
2) i do have 77k miles, and from what i read, cats can go bad around that time and so can sensors....but my car runs fine, and the exhaust gas doesn't smell like burnt eggs.
3) some people say their cel came on when they were low on fuel, which is when my cel came on. i know fuel level doesn't have anything to do with p0420, but just thought i point that out. some claimed that their cel went away after filling their tank up. i did clear the code and fill my tank up again, so i will have to see if the cel comes again after driving for a while.
4) the p0420 usually comes up with sustained hwy driving, which happened in my case also.
5) i read up several fixes on this. electrical, mechanical, replacing sensors or cats. i really have no idea what is my particular problem.
so in general....im confused on the relationship between drl, p1111, and p0420. they all seem to be as related as a fancy steak dinner, and a pile of dinosaur poop.
i will keep this updated.
so far my plan is to drive and see what happens after 50-100 miles (i have full tank right now), and see if gas tank has any relation.
if cel comes on, i will go on to the mechanical fix of rear o2 sensor and see what happens.
if cel still persists, replace rear o2 sensor, and that doesn't work, new cat.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|help!!! flashing cel and no one can help||tommy 02wrx||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||21||06-05-2010 08:26 PM|
|HELP!! flashing cel||tommy 02wrx||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||2||06-04-2010 02:38 PM|
|rough idle, misfire, CEL funky high idle||carter_wrx||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||1||10-04-2009 03:44 PM|
|Funky CEL||Koyo||Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC||7||03-12-2003 06:06 AM|
|Funky Front End||Fritz||Interior & Exterior Modification||13||04-10-2001 12:33 PM|