Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
hefcat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 151666
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi - Stg 2
SGM

So I was replacing my brake pads on my 2006 Subaru WRX STi because the stock ones were shot after 50k. I purchased the Hawk HPS brake pads and began my installation. I installed the driver side pads with no problems at all but when I began the installation on the passenger side I came across a major problem I think. Oh and these are the front brake pads I am replacing.

I have taken a few pictures and they can be seen at the following link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hoeflm/S...y=1Bk2N48oyd0#

The brake cylinder cannot be pushed bake so I cannot install the pad. It looks like that seal is broken. Can this be replaced? If so will I be able to replace it or is it easier for me to tow the car to a shop? Or maybe I am doing something wrong whatever the case may be I cannot install the inside brake pad.

Any insight/help is greatly appreciated.

Hefcat
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hefcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

that looks like the outer dust seal / boot - it's not an actual hydraulic seal

replacing it is not a big deal and can probably be done on the vehicle however if you can't press the piston back it suggests that it's been torn for quite a while and brake dust / dirt has got in and seized the piston into the bore - was the car pulling under braking? can you see it move when you press the pedal? (re-fit the caliper before trying that else you may push the piston right out of the bore which WILL require a complete rebuild)
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

ya need to rebuild that caliper
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
hefcat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi - Stg 2
SGM

How much will a complete rebuild cost and is that warranty item or is it associated with regular maintenance? Also I did not notice any pulling while braking.

So if I am going to have this caliper rebuilt should I just take the whole care to a shop or take the caliper off and have it separately rebuilt? If that is the case how would I go about removing the caliper?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
hefcat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi - Stg 2
SGM

Also how does something like this happen without any notice? The reason I ask is because all of the seals I have on the front pistons look pretty worn.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

if it is still under warranty....take it---the car....to the dealer have them deal with it
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
hefcat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi - Stg 2
SGM

I actually talked to a dealer today they said the brembo calipers are only covered until 36,000 miles which I guess sucks to be me.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
WRXdonkey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 105437
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
20xx STI
OBP/ICM

bump, wtf did you do? And why'd you wait until 50k to swap em? Did the wear indicators never make a sound prior to then?

Not trying to be harsh or critical, but I've got 29k on my pads and I always drive the car very very easily unless I'm doing HPDE or AutoX (not too often).
WRXdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
magnum2066
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 158586
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Pearl White

If you are handy save the money by buying a caliper rebuild kit and call it a day. As for having someone else rebuild them have a shop give you a quote.
magnum2066 is offline   Reply With Quote