Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 3, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Have a Nice Day? Stalling, Miss-fires, and Stuttering Buttloads of Fun Help?

2002 WRX

MODS BEFORE TRANSMISSION BLEW (RAN FINE)

Engine:
Blitz Turbo Timer
Blouch Evo III Big 16G
Cobb AccessPort V2
K&N Typhoon
DW 650cc Injectors
Manual Boost Controler
PDX TUNNING MAP
HKS TBE
SSAC FMIC
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Drivetrain:
Stock 5 Speed







My car ran fine with no problems at all,
then i exploded second gear in my transmission. My car was down for two months.

During the two month I was down I installed a Cobb Intake, Perrin Inlet hose, act clutch/pressure plate, act 13.9lb streetlight flywheel and PPG Tranny. After the install if i hit 10+ boost my car stutters so bad and then the check engine light blinks then puts out codes Miss fire in cylender 1, 2, and 3 and PFFFF.

Also when i drive in reverse and push in the clutch and hit the break the car stalls out... One of the things that come to mind, when we put the transmission back on my brother and i were wondering were this big ground wire went.. Its about the size of a battery ground wire but but it has a small little thing on the end of it with a hole in it with two little tabs. We ended up grounding it to one of the starter bolt.

Any Idea's or tips would be greatly apreciated.

MODS AFTER TRANSMISSION WAS FIXED(RUNS LIKE CRAP)
Engine:
Blitz Turbo Timer
Blouch Evo III Big 16G
Cobb AccessPort V2
Cobb Intake
DW 650cc Injectors
Manual Boost Controller
PDX TUNNING MAP
Perrin 3 Inch Inlet Hose
HKS TBE
SSAC FMIC
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Drivetrain:
ACT Lightweight Flywheel 13.9lbs
ACT Street Disk/ACT Pressure Plate
PPG Transmission



Please Dont Flame Me
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by mator; 12-19-2008 at 09:38 AM.
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Haelan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151045
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NW Indiana
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru STI
CBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mator View Post
One of the things that come to mind, when we put the transmission back on my brother and i were wondering were this big ground wire went.. Its about the size of a battery ground wire but but it has a small little thing on the end of it with a hole in it with two little tabs. We ended up grounding it to one of the starter bolt.
The big ground wire you refer to attaches to a small bracket on the transmission near the starter.
Haelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haelan View Post
The big ground wire you refer to attaches to a small bracket on the transmission near the starter.
well would it be fine attaching it to the top starter bolt?
it must be vacuum then if thats not the issue.. i didnt mess with anything else... i guess when it stops raining ill have to check all my vacuum lines one more time. my tune should be fine.. unless its the flywheel but i was told that 13.9 lbs flywheel wont cause miss fire codes..
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Haelan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151045
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NW Indiana
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru STI
CBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mator View Post
well would it be fine attaching it to the top starter bolt?
it must be vacuum then if thats not the issue.. i didnt mess with anything else... i guess when it stops raining ill have to check all my vacuum lines one more time. my tune should be fine.. unless its the flywheel but i was told that 13.9 lbs flywheel wont cause miss fire codes..
I would think so. You can use a multimeter to test the resistance to the negative battery terminal and make sure it is close to zero. I don't think that is your issue though.

Sounds to me like you have a horrible vacuum leak somewhere due to the turbo inlet install. You can also try taking off the Cobb intake for now to rule it out and make sure your MAF is not on backwards.
Haelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Default

wow, thanks for the idea's :-) ill try both of your suggestions.
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Default

if anyone else has any idea's feel free to shoot some out there for me.
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Default

1. When you put the car in reverse and drive backwards push in the clutch to disengage the clutch the car stalls(only in reverse)

2. When I hit about 7 lbs of boost with the gas petal at one point the car flutters until I give it more gas.

3. If I floor it about 4 grand the car misses bad (it stutters) and then about 5 grand it will hit boost without miss fire. Check engine light starts blinking.
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Do you have a wideband?
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
centeno711
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 184638
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central valley California
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon wrb
97 cummins 1ton 4x4

Default

wjen you are in reverse are you holding the break? sounds like an engagement issue. not many things gonna make your car stall in reverse. i know onmy truck after my tranny install i had some trouble with reverse hooking up too quickly but it was just a breakin problem and went away
centeno711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
Do you have a wideband?
no i dont have a wideband

Quote:
Originally Posted by centeno711 View Post
wjen you are in reverse are you holding the break? sounds like an engagement issue. not many things gonna make your car stall in reverse. i know onmy truck after my tranny install i had some trouble with reverse hooking up too quickly but it was just a breakin problem and went away
no im not pressing on the break, just letting off the gas with the clutch in.
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
centeno711
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 184638
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central valley California
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon wrb
97 cummins 1ton 4x4

Default

if you give it more throttle does it die?

just trying to narrow down the symptom

tranny has no other connection to motor than clutch sooooo
what about clutch release bearing?

just trying to think of things in that area that spin...their lack of spinning would cause you problems

you depress the clutch and it dies or as your depressing the clutch it dies?
you say in your original post that if your in reverse and push in the clutch and then brake it dies......sounds to me like your not getting full release of the disc from flywheel is the subaru a hydraulic clutch or cable..maybe your loosing vacuum when you pull vacum for the brakes?
centeno711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
lawn boy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16345
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WashPA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX- Sold
E60 BMW 545i

Default

adam, when my car was misfiring and had the flashing CEL i pulled the code and it said it was a #1 misfire. I replaced the coil pack and the car has ran fine ever since. You may need to replace the plugs too if you havent already.

-Karl
lawn boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centeno711 View Post
if you give it more throttle does it die?
just trying to narrow down the symptom
tranny has no other connection to motor than clutch sooooo
what about clutch release bearing?
just trying to think of things in that area that spin...their lack of spinning would cause you problems
you depress the clutch and it dies or as your depressing the clutch it dies?
you say in your original post that if your in reverse and push in the clutch and then brake it dies......sounds to me like your not getting full release of the disc from flywheel is the subaru a hydraulic clutch or cable..maybe your loosing vacuum when you pull vacum for the brakes?
Transmission is fine, there is nothing wrong with that we followed the manual with taking it apart and putting the new transmission it.. I feel like its a vacuum issue.. Sometime next week im going to be re routing all my vacuum line.. hopefully ill get someone to help me with it.. and when I put the car in reverse and drive backward "while still moving backwards without even touching the brake ill push in the clutch and my RPM drop like normal till they hit zero rpm and my car stalls. Ill still be drifting backwards.. <-- hope that makes sence lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn boy View Post
adam, when my car was misfiring and had the flashing CEL i pulled the code and it said it was a #1 misfire. I replaced the coil pack and the car has ran fine ever since. You may need to replace the plugs too if you havent already.

-Karl
Karl, I have replaced the plugs to one step NGK colder plugs.. what i dont get is the that the car ran fine before parking the car to work on it..

Last edited by mator; 12-23-2008 at 01:01 PM.
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
SlowBlueWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192696
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: SW MO
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Rally Blue

Default

Ok this might be a stupid idea.....but as far as the pushing the brake and car dying thing goes I think I have a solution for you. On the intake mani there is a huge vacuum line that goes to the brake booster and there is a one way restrictor pill in that line, did you put it back on the right way?

And also on the misfire......with new parts espically the turbo inlet you can start to run WAY lean up top and the misfire codes could be from leaning out. Just my 2c <------ Problably all my opinions are worth
SlowBlueWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBlueWRX View Post
Ok this might be a stupid idea.....but as far as the pushing the brake and car dying thing goes I think I have a solution for you. On the intake mani there is a huge vacuum line that goes to the brake booster and there is a one way restrictor pill in that line, did you put it back on the right way?

And also on the misfire......with new parts espically the turbo inlet you can start to run WAY lean up top and the misfire codes could be from leaning out. Just my 2c <------ Problably all my opinions are worth
after having the issue with the stalling i did have the restrictor pill in and in the correct way. just to make sure we disconnected all the stock boost controller stuff and i connected it correctly to my Manual boost controller and left the pill out.


And i think you might be right with the inlet hose.. i might need to re tune my car.. I want to get protuned but im not quite finished yet and im broke lol.... I dont want to pay another $150 for another mapp when im going to get protuned in like 2 months.. i guess it might be cheaper then a motor..
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

My vote is for a boost/vacuum leak. The misfiring and stalling is from the car running too rich/lean because of all of the metered/unmetered air leaving/entering the system from the boost/vacuum leak respectively.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
mator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150674
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
PGH AWD Meet 2014
Sept 19th-21st 2014

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
My vote is for a boost/vacuum leak. The misfiring and stalling is from the car running too rich/lean because of all of the metered/unmetered air leaving/entering the system from the boost/vacuum leak respectively.
Thank you! thats what i feel that it is.. THE WEATHER JUST BLOWS RIGHT NOW!... It been like 5 Degrees out. this weekend i think im going to tear into it.. redo all the vacuum lines to make sure im not leaking anywhere. Also im going to clean my MAF Sensor
mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miss fire and rough idle redjuice Newbies & FAQs 2 05-29-2010 12:40 PM
Miss fire and tapping Dan17z Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 1 12-26-2006 02:24 PM
Struts, Long Distance and a World of Fun. tairese Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 10 07-05-2006 10:00 AM
Need help about miss firing? josh04 Legacy Forum 14 09-25-2005 10:03 AM
catless and only .8bar of boost?! help whiterabbit Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 9 03-10-2003 10:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.