Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 5, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:31 AM   #1
d-o-m
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 4214
Default location location location

i'd love to here your guys opinion on my little perdicterment: thinkin about gettin some high-end components (FOCAL polykevlar or utopia series to be precise)but i'm unsure as to whether i want to drop six or seven bills if the tunes still aren't gonna get past my knees. so

a) will better speakers 'magically' overcome this/is it worth it?

b) do you think there's enough room to mount them somewhere else in a custom location? higher up? cut a hole in the dash? duct tape a wood box to the window?

c) also have the option of getting some 3 3/4" bullet tweeters (not focal, dhd i think). think they'd squeeze into the stock location? if not, any other ideas? i'm guessin behind the HUMP of the steerin wheel'd pretty well suck!

thnx for any comments/ideas/blatent criticisms/racial slurs (wm20) KIDDING.

andy
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
d-o-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 03:01 AM   #2
socal
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 13844
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default focal

even if you could custom fit the focal utopia or polykevlar in the stock place it still would sound very good. those speakers to me are some of the best and accurate sounding speaker besides like dynaudio but they have 2 completely different sounds.
or if you want you can make some custom kick panels, but personally i would try and do an install like pioneer's wrx. i saw it in a mag, can't remember which one though. i am sure you can find it on the new somehow!!!
socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 09:37 AM   #3
tibikefor2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14643
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
White

Default Focal

I will be installing a set of 165Ks in the front and 130Ks in the rear next week. This will all be powered by an Alpine MRV-F540 amp. If all goes well, I will let you know how the spreakers sound.
tibikefor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:11 PM   #4
cyber-racer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17002

no, better speakers still have to be in the correct location. top notch speakers like focal, morel, or rainbow are accurate but they need a good location to create a realistic soundstage and imaging. the midbass should not matter a whole bunch because of the frequecnies that it will play. maybe you could put the tweet in the a-pillar. that would raise the soundstage a lot. should sound much better.
cyber-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 01:50 PM   #5
d-o-m
Scooby Newbie

kewl. so thats a negative on the duct tape... gotcha.

thanks all

tibikefor2:
sweet, lemme know how it goes, happy tunes.

here's my solution to this age-old problem of imaging: all we need to do is simply wait for subaru to put out their own version of the maclaren F1 street car with centred cockpit, and VOILA! perfect soundstage. and if they wanna drop the 2.5l and pop in a 7 or 8l then so beit. (just means we need even BETTER tunes to drown out the 12 cylinders )

andy
Old 04-01-2002, 10:02 PM   #6
Holy-Frijole
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 13784
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

If you're looking to spend that kind of money on your fronts, one option that might be worth looking into is a 3-way setup. Use a pair of 6.5's in the doors, then a set of 3" or 4" mids and tweets in the kickpanels. With proper tuning and a good system, you should be able to get your staging and imaging dialed in just fine with that type of setup. You could also do a 2-way with 6.5's in the kicks, but you'd have to give up a lot of space down there.

You could also do a set of pods in the corners of the dash if you want to give up your side defroster vents. However, you'll most likely need some form of time alignment because the pathlength differences will be much more pronounced than in a kickpanel install.

Bryan Wernick
Holy-Frijole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 07:30 PM   #7
d-o-m
Scooby Newbie

holy:

yeah, the 3-way setup has definately been in the back of my mind, just gotta figure out where to stash a larger x-over. under the seat i guess.

makin a pods'd definately be the funnest route, though i see many moments of frustration in my future. that's half the fun of it though i suppose!

andy
Old 04-02-2002, 08:39 PM   #8
Holy-Frijole
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 13784
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WR Blue

Yep, either under the seats or you could put them in the trunk (or just about anywhere else). It'd just mean running some extra speaker wire to the front of the car.

Pod's are fun to work on, but can be a real bear to get dialed in. The 3-way setup would be a big advantage in this setting, as you'd have smaller drivers to be building pods for. Real easy type of setup would be to use Dynaudio drivers, as their 3" mid is sealed so you wouldn't need to worry about the airspace volume of the finished pods. Pricey set of speakers, though.

Bryan Wernick
Holy-Frijole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 06:47 PM   #9
tibikefor2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
White

Default focals will not fit

d-o-m:

i could not and a very experoenced installer tried to get the 165Ks to fit in the front door, even with a spacer. If you figure it out, please let me know. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:32 PM   #10
rexecutioner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 10540
Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan
silver

there was a thread around here not too long ago about spacing out the window guides to get more space in the back of the door. I think they said they used a couple of washers in there. Between that and a spacer I would think getting even the larger 6.5s in there shouldnt be too much a problem.
rexecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 12:04 PM   #11
tibikefor2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
White

Default speakers

I estimate that with a spacer and moving the window guide back, the depth of the speaker can not be more than 55mm. The focals are 69mm mounting depth. The other people that have installed focals have heavily modified their door panels.

Last edited by tibikefor2; 04-10-2002 at 03:58 PM.