Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
chad1043
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105818
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Holland, Michigan
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX TR
WR Blue...

Default 2006 WRX TR Tire Size Suggestions?

I'm looking at getting some new tires soon, just wondering what my best option is? Basically I was wondering what width people would go with. I live in Michigan.

Thanks,
Chad
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chad1043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
blitzmr2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 101396
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: East Coast
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Grip Grey

Default

Good question. I believe the wheel is a silly-narrow 6", so much wider than the OEM 205s may not work well. I am dreading springing the dough for a new set of wheels just because of their width. Personally I'd at least like 225s.

Lots of good tires out there--Azenis, Advans, various Toyos. Depends on your budget, and if you want all-weather peformance (which it seems you to, living in Michigan, and owning a WRX to begin with).
blitzmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
BLAKOHFOREX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 198099
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP

Default

What is your current wheel set up? Size?
BLAKOHFOREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
chad1043
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105818
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Holland, Michigan
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX TR
WR Blue...

Default

Stock, 215/45ZR17... Any other suggestions?
chad1043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1043 View Post
I'm looking at getting some new tires soon, just wondering what my best option is? Basically I was wondering what width people would go with. I live in Michigan.

Thanks,
Chad
225/45 is the biggest you can reasonably go on the stock 06 wheel

id stay with the 215/45 and buy some 17x8 wheels and go from there
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzmr2 View Post
Good question. I believe the wheel is a silly-narrow 6", so much wider than the OEM 205s may not work well. I am dreading springing the dough for a new set of wheels just because of their width. Personally I'd at least like 225s.

Lots of good tires out there--Azenis, Advans, various Toyos. Depends on your budget, and if you want all-weather peformance (which it seems you to, living in Michigan, and owning a WRX to begin with).
you believe wrong

dont post unless you KNOW

this will alleviate a great deal of unnecessary confusion here
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 123843
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

Default

The stock 2006/2007 WRX wheel is 17" x 7" et55, 5x100mm bolt pattern.

You can put a 225/45-17 tire onto the stock wheel.

A 225mm wide tire is generally recommended for wheels that are from 7" wide to 8.5" wide.

If one chooses to mount a 235mm wide tire onto a wheel then the minimum recommended width of the wheel would necessarily be 7.5".

Last edited by Big-E; 01-01-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
snovvbrdr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121063
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Manchester, NH
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Stg. II
Steel Gray

Default 4 sets

I have four sets of wheels stockies with the factory tires 215/45r17 re-92's some 16's with 205/55r16 snows and two sets of 17X8's one with 225/45r17 bridgestone re-01r's and the other set is 245/40r17 toyo r1r's
snovvbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
blitzmr2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 101396
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: East Coast
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Grip Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
you believe wrong

dont post unless you KNOW

this will alleviate a great deal of unnecessary confusion here
The thus "I believe" statement, not as fact. Yes I was wrong. Yes if the only replies that ever were made were 100% certain, zero-chance-of-error facts, forums would be better sources of information, but good luck with that. Discussion is part of the learning process for all. Go bother people that parade their opinions as fact. Had I the time to go find every time you've ever been wrong on a post, and replied with "keep your mouth closed unless you KNOW" I'd enjoy that very much, but I digress.

Anyhow, on my MR2 I actually ran 235s on a wheel that came with 205 stock, but that was very tight. I'd look at your goals and motivation for going wider, and unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, consider trying 225s and seeing if they suit your needs.
blitzmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzmr2 View Post
The thus "I believe" statement, not as fact. Yes I was wrong. Yes if the only replies that ever were made were 100% certain, zero-chance-of-error facts, forums would be better sources of information, but good luck with that. Discussion is part of the learning process for all. Go bother people that parade their opinions as fact. Had I the time to go find every time you've ever been wrong on a post, and replied with "keep your mouth closed unless you KNOW" I'd enjoy that very much, but I digress.

Anyhow, on my MR2 I actually ran 235s on a wheel that came with 205 stock, but that was very tight. I'd look at your goals and motivation for going wider, and unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, consider trying 225s and seeing if they suit your needs.


just shut it and keep going
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 WRX STI Spare Tire and 2006 WRX TR Spare Tire! 06TRDude Wheels/Tires 4 09-17-2008 01:28 AM
Stock 2006 WRX TR Rims and Tires and other things gsloppypop Wheels/Tires 4 08-17-2007 11:20 PM
stock tires and wheels from 2006 WRX TR for sale!!! calvinnguyen NWIC Private Classifieds 8 06-19-2006 06:02 PM
WTB 2006 Wrx TR rims and tires bstarr Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 4 04-28-2006 02:50 PM
What are the 2006 WRX TR speaker sizes? AutoBahn Car Audio, Video & Security 3 04-23-2006 11:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.