Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
kirbykirb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 183596
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/9-2x
Obsedian Black Pearl

Default EJ25 leaking headgasket?

I've done my research a bit...

I have a siezed tensioner pulley which pretty much has taken the spring with it, causing it not to work the waterpump correctly.

Had no idea so I drove a bit of miles on it, and bam I now have a leaking headgasket. When I look under the car, I have a very minute leak with the oil + coolant where it meets the pipe which takes it out the muffler.

So, would you agree this is a leaking headgasket? I want to make damn sure lol.

Heres some pics hopefully that can help...(more pics below)

Heres the picture of the pulley which does not move, with the help of another member on these boards, plus some subaru techncial books I can say it's the tensioner, and it's only safe to assume the spring in it went--requiring atleast a new timing belt + tensioner fix. If it was just that, I'd say okay I'd fix it.

BUT, now I have the issue of possile coolant and oil combining, which of course means headgasket issue. Even with a minor headgasket leak, I still have the EJ25 engine which of course is Subarus' favorite engine of this time to be ridden with these issues- My luck lol.

The reason why I think the oil + coolant is combining, is because there is white smoke coming from the exhaust manifold of the engine.. and the oil and collant here are combined: (Plus you can see abit of the smoke, usually it's alot more worse then that!) After the car's been off for a while, I touched place where both exhaust pipes meet to come into one and it was brown with sweet stickyniess. so, Oil + coolant.

Heres the leak I saw on the ground this morning, after I left the car overnight in the spot.. sweet stickyness coolant....

So, is it safe to assume it's a leaking headgasket?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kirbykirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
fornetti14
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103771
Vehicle:
'01 Impreza 2.5RS
Black

what year car do you have? I don't want to assume anything.

There's no "spring" in the timing belt tensioner on the phase II 2.5L. It's a hydraulic tensioner.

To answer your question regarding the head gaskets - the phase II 2.5L usually leaks from the outside like yours is. Sometimes it's just coolant and sometimes it's coolant and oil. Keep an eye on your engine oil and stop driving it if it turns light brown or chocolate milk colored.

The coolant passage is above the oil return passage which is why you might be leaking both. I'll get a pic. up from some of the HG repairs I've done to better explain this.
fornetti14 is offline   Reply With Quote