Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
banana_pony95
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171701
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1995 impreza
blue/green

Default Man i"ve got some annoying noises...

Right now my car is driving me crazy. there are these two separate noises that i keep hearing, one of which sounds like a belt issue and the other which seems to be located around the transmission.

The belt noise: Basically what is going on is that as my car idles and especially when my engine is reved(spelling?) up it doesn't sound clean. What happens is that there is this squealling whinning noise that increases and decreases with the rize and fall of rpms. It is soooo annoying and i don't know if it is doing damage. I don't think that there is really a decrease in preformance, however i have been steadily fixing all kinds of things on my car for the past few years, so i've kinda forgotten how my car should preform...

The other sound doesn't seem serious, but once again i just don't know. What this sound sounds like is a soft yet quick knocking coming from around the transmission that only seems to occur as my car is decellerating in 4th gear while my feet aren't anywhere near either the gas or the break. I've tried to see if the noise exists while accelerating in 4th but don't hear anything (but that sound may just be covered up by the loudness of my engine which i've just described).

I NEED HELP. i am soooo close to giving up on this car...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
banana_pony95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59648
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

The squealing noise sounds like a loose belt or two. They tend to squeal/scream when not tight. Give them a quick check and add a little more tension to them and see if that helps.

The other sound may be a worn bushing or transmission mount. Get the car up on jack stands and check all the bushings and the driveshaft for play. Maybe try changing the thrans fluid too?
suby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
banana_pony95
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171701
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1995 impreza
blue/green

do you know if the transmission things are very complicated to fix?
banana_pony95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59648
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

That really depends on what it is. If its something small like the mount or a bad bushing then they are pretty painless. There is a write up on how to change them on 25rs.com somewhere. I just read it the other day. I've heard upgrading the rear diff. crossmember bushings can rid that clunking sound too. If its inside the transmission then it could be more serious...
suby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
piercepcable
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199670

ya.... completely depends on what it is and your technical background... let's hope it's not inside the transmission
piercepcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
tha eklectiq
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 179285
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 2.5i
UGM

Default Unorthodox Racing Pullies Part#041301402 Belt Questions

hey all i was wondering if you could help me out. i just bought these pullies and i have two questions about them.

1. first im pretty sure that this part is compatible with my 2.5i? the part # is 041301402.

2. what belt size should i use? the ebay seller i got it from said that i can use the stock size of belts but to make sure that i use the gates brand.

thanks guys in advance
tha eklectiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
tha eklectiq
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 179285
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 2.5i
UGM

^ disregard this message. i thought i was making a new topic.
tha eklectiq is offline   Reply With Quote