Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
klime
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 186772
Default Battery disconnect, bad idle.

1996 Impreza Lx.

My battery was recently disconnected, and now the engine refuses to idle. The car drives (if continually given gas), but if I brake and slow down the engine seems to enter a limp mode and no longer accepts any revs at all, and if it comes to a complete stop (such as at a stop sign) the engine stalls. I was told this could be due to an ECU reset and driving it for awhile the ECU would "relearn" how to idle. I did this by taking it on the highway for awhile but nothing changed. Any ideas on what's causing the problem?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
klime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

try this
car cold as in not driven in 8 hours or more
disconnect the battery......press brake pedal 2-3 times

re-connect battery
get in car and WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE GAS PEDAL AT ALL!!!!

out the key in and start the car
DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDAL AT ALL!!!

Let the car warm up until the radiator fans come on and the thermostat opens....15-20 minutes maybe...

turn the car OFF and take the key out

put the key back in and start the car and go for a drive

also....why was the battery disconnected and what was done at that time????
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
darament
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199818
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
WR Blue

it could just be a coincidence that the problem showed up at the time it did. One time I went in to get my brakes checked and after the report saying that they were fine and everything I started having braking problems. well the idiot workers only checked one side of the disk brakes which for whatever reason did not grab when braking and so the outside calipers had something like 80% life left and the inside ones were worn down to bare metal. this problem came up right after I had my service done and I thought maybe the technician left something in my car and that it couldn't be the brakes... well driving bare metal to metal ended up costing me another $300 for new rotors.
darament is offline   Reply With Quote