Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
STi-MAN
Scooby Guru

Member#: 70252
Vehicle:
05 STI
blue

Default really.. how bad is it to track on a blown coilover..

so my shock is blown... and i cant get it revalved in time for the next track outing... how bad is it really to track on a blown shock. I've tracked on this blown coilover last event and ran my fastest time, but really how dangerous is it?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
STi-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Member#: 67004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

I am amazed your even asking
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
lemon19mmm
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 144545
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
GG Wagon
Black

I drove a nissan 240sx with totally blown shocks before. It was like driving a boat. You can feel much more weight transfer/ un-balanced body roll.
pay attention to those bumps, apex curbs, or any other ugly surface.

However, I would ask for credit if I were you.
lemon19mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
STi-MAN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
05 STI
blue

yea im wondering what do you expect? i've read that the corner might roll more... basically the kw is leaking through the compression adjustment hole.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
MasterKwan
Scooby Guru

Member#: 98961
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Black

A little seepage probably isn't "blown". If it's not spraying oil out of the seal you're probably OK. The spring rate isn't changing so, the car's going to have the correct ride height. A truely blown CO, you'll probably see either no damping at all so, the car's different in dynamic situations (corner entry) or the valves will get stuck inside and not permit the CO to have the full range of movement because pressure builds up as it compresses and your effective spring rate increases as the suspension cycles. I had that happen to a strut and ended up with a bent wheel because there was no give when I hit a pot-hole.

Last edited by MasterKwan; 01-13-2009 at 10:17 AM.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Member#: 67004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Well the problem is that if you operate with little or no oil in the shock. You simply will cause serious damage. Specially if you bottom out.

Yet like above I agree with leaking oil. Not exactly a full blown problem unless there is no oil left. Yet having one shock doing this may cause some unusual drive conditions. So watch those corners.
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009

Member#: 68273
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car in progress

I wouldn't do it. My biggest concern would be unpredictable handling behavior, which you definitely don't want on the track.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
STi-MAN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
05 STI
blue

thanks for the advice.. yeah i would think the biggest thing is the unpredictability.. im going to try and have it rush fixed.