Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
SirSparkz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 358752
Subaru Stars 2009 Subaru Legacy Limited - Strange noise during low speed braking

So when I apply the brakes in my car, this noise comes from the engine bay. It's louder on a steep hill, and much more pronounced the slower the car goes. Once I come to a complete stop, I can pump the brakes, and it will make the noise with each motion of the brake pedal. I suspected brakes at first, and have changed the pads and rotors out, which obviously didn't fix the problem. At least I needed to get those things done .
We can simulate the noise at a stop by pushing on the engine laterally with our hands (from passenger side, pushing towards driver's side). Halp!

**Also, and here's the strange part, it does NOT happen in the morning, when the engine/car is cold. It worsens as the car warms up, and at the end of a hot day is at the level shown in the video.**

The noise (in the evening, after being driven all day) -
http://youtu.be/_-jtei9Jgts

The noise, or lack thereof, in the morning when the car is cool (clunk noise is from a bump in the road)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SirSparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
LGT187
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330956
Vehicle:
2005 legacy GT
Blue

That's ****ed man, did you get the recall notice?
LGT187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
SirSparkz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 358752

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGT187 View Post
That's ****ed man, did you get the recall notice?

Which one ? I received one for the brake system, and then discovered an ECM recall. I'm taking it to the dealer next week for those. However, it looks like my fears were confirmed, and it's the motor mounts.

My buddy pulled forward on the back of the intake manifold, and I put a stethoscope on the mounts. They're creaking loudly. I then put the stethoscope on the engine block, and it was as quiet as a mouse. So, if any of you experience this noise, get your wallets out. Or your wrenches.

SirSparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
LGT187
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330956
Vehicle:
2005 legacy GT
Blue

yeah the brake recall, I hear ya anything that's gone wrong with my 05 2.5 gt has been a wallet and wrench problem always very lengthy and expensive
LGT187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
aetiger
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 359168
Default aetiger Bremsen

Beim Bremsen langsamer Fahrt ist laut Hanbuch der Bremsbelag bald abgenützt.Hier ist der Orginalbelag verarbeitet.In dem Beleg ist ein Material eingearbeitet das bei langsamer Fahrt ein Geräusch verursacht. Dadurch wird Ihnen mitgeteilt das der Bremsbelag bald am Ende ist.-
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSparkz View Post
So when I apply the brakes in my car, this noise comes from the engine bay. It's louder on a steep hill, and much more pronounced the slower the car goes. Once I come to a complete stop, I can pump the brakes, and it will make the noise with each motion of the brake pedal. I suspected brakes at first, and have changed the pads and rotors out, which obviously didn't fix the problem. At least I needed to get those things done .
We can simulate the noise at a stop by pushing on the engine laterally with our hands (from passenger side, pushing towards driver's side). Halp!

**Also, and here's the strange part, it does NOT happen in the morning, when the engine/car is cold. It worsens as the car warms up, and at the end of a hot day is at the level shown in the video.**

The noise (in the evening, after being driven all day) -
http://youtu.be/_-jtei9Jgts

The noise, or lack thereof, in the morning when the car is cool (clunk noise is from a bump in the road)
http://youtu.be/XfbSoEIuEaM
aetiger is offline   Reply With Quote