Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-04-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
Whitey Ford
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17220
Default Buying a 2002 2.5 TS wagon

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Tonight is the night... I'm buying a new 2002 Impreza TS sport wagon.

I have a few questions...

First, how comfortable is the car on long drives? I commute, which is one of the reasons I'm getting rid of my current car (5g Prelude).

Second, how reliable is the transmission? I'm leaning towards an automatic. The TS is pretty slow to begin with, so I figure why not be lazy and let the car shift for me. It's going to be my first auto ever BTW. It's sort of necessary because my fiance will also be driving this car and she hates stick (edit: you know what I mean -- LOL).

Third, is there any point in even thinking of modifications? Is there any way to get an auto TS into the mid/high 15s, or is it hopeless?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to posting more on here. Hopefully in a year we add a WRX to our Subaru family.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Whitey Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 04:53 PM   #2
Mr. Rogers
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17028
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 TS wagon
Black

Well am a newbie to Subie's too . Actually I am waiting for my 02 2.5TS wagaon as well. I can answer a couple of questions about modifying the car. I lost my car in a Non hand drag race in NJ. Smacked into the railing at 128mph. Yeah it hurt. Anyway seeing that the 2.5 TS has bigger displacement than the 2.0 Turbo WRX believe the potential is very real for power if you do the right mods. As for the worrying about the auto, my last car was an automatic 2000 Neon and my best time was 13.26. It may just be me but if you race brackets an auto seems to give you a little edge in the consistency of your launches. I guess since its not a person actually shifting, also when you shift in a race belive it or not you lose alittle time like 1/100th of a sec. but in a close race a couple of shifts will cost you. So is the 2.5 worth modding yes. I've been reading up on this and if you go Normally Aspirated you can still break the 200whp mark on this car. Just take your time, don't be cheap and do it right.
Mr. Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 06:15 PM   #3
DoctorNick
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 7022
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited
SWP

Well you can mod a ts/rs well and pull it in to the 15s... but it will cost a few bucks. I right now have na auto and this is what i think you can do to pull you to your goal. Err this is what I would do.

Cobb CAI
Cobb Cams
HeaderBack exaust
Torque Chip
Torque Converter

This should put you very close to you goal. The torque converter is expensive but as riftswrx said "...I don't know any other mod that can take a second off you quartermile times..."

I right now have done the CAI, Chip and I am waiting on cams....but right now I must say my 4eat (auto) 2002 2.5rs definatly has potentional to become a 15 sec N/A beast.
- Good luck on your purchase.

-Neal
DoctorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 02:51 PM   #4
Whitey Ford
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17220

Unfortunately the deal didn't go through. We were deadlocked over trade-in value on my car... they wouldn't budge, even though they were offering like $500 BELOW the Canadian Black Book Value MINIMUM for my Prelude. Nonsense.

I tried a few other dealers, but it's almost like Subaru tries to NOT sell cars. Toyota offered me $2825 more for my trade-in!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I'm waiting to hear back. I have my heart set on the TS... but I might be stuck getting the Toyota Matrix 4WD.
Whitey Ford is offline   Reply With Quote