Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #51
ciper
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15543
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: san francisco, ca
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

Default

I bet the failure is the seal that separates the high pressure side from the low pressure side.

This thread might help some of you http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2127419
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #52
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default


Bump to help Clint so he doesn't have to find this.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #53
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340470
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Default

I didn't read through every post in this thread; sue me. What is meant by "the steering feels funny?" When I drive down the road, my steering feels like something in the suspension is completely shifting, especially when I change lanes and go over the crest in the road. Is this something that can be caused by this blown out PS pump?

(No, I wouldn't have blown it doing snow donuts... I do have to make 3pt and u-turns once in awhile.)
ilarson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #54
tibug
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 273906
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nonsense Poopy Pants!
Vehicle:
2003 Outback
RUST

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilarson007 View Post
I didn't read through every post in this thread; sue me. What is meant by "the steering feels funny?" When I drive down the road, my steering feels like something in the suspension is completely shifting, especially when I change lanes and go over the crest in the road. Is this something that can be caused by this blown out PS pump?

(No, I wouldn't have blown it doing snow donuts... I do have to make 3pt and u-turns once in awhile.)
That cold be many different things. I wouldn't suspect a blown power steering pump right away though. Very first thing I would check is for snow/mud on the inside of your wheels. A surprisingly small amount of debris on the wheels can screw up the balance very easy and make it feel like your front end is about to puke itself all over the highway. If you rule debris out, I would have your wheels rebalanced anyways.

After that, if you still have problems, you're going to want to check tie-rods and ball joints. Make sure your sway bar and endlinks are all intact. Good luck.
tibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #55
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340470
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibug View Post
That cold be many different things. I wouldn't suspect a blown power steering pump right away though. Very first thing I would check is for snow/mud on the inside of your wheels. A surprisingly small amount of debris on the wheels can screw up the balance very easy and make it feel like your front end is about to puke itself all over the highway. If you rule debris out, I would have your wheels rebalanced anyways.

After that, if you still have problems, you're going to want to check tie-rods and ball joints. Make sure your sway bar and endlinks are all intact. Good luck.
Well, I have jacked up the car and pushed/pulled on all four wheels, and the all feel very solid. I did this to rule out wheel bearings, but wouldn't one think that a broken swaybar or endlink would surface during this test? I wasn't gentle with them either. It almost is like whatever it is is something that takes a high amount of force to shift - like the sideload experienced when changing lanes. I don't believe there is any debris on my wheels. Not 100%, but close.
ilarson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #56
tibug
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 273906
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nonsense Poopy Pants!
Vehicle:
2003 Outback
RUST

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilarson007 View Post
Well, I have jacked up the car and pushed/pulled on all four wheels, and the all feel very solid. I did this to rule out wheel bearings, but wouldn't one think that a broken swaybar or endlink would surface during this test?
Perhaps, but a broken swaybar/endlink is much easier to diagnose just by looking under the car. It's probably not your problem, but it's always good to rule out the really easy stuff first.

Another thing you can do instead of/before getting your wheels balanced is rotate the tires (front to rear, rear to front) and see if there is any change. If no, then either all of your wheels are out of balance, or the problem is not in your wheels.

Could also be a steering rack issue. Just throwing that out there...

Good luck.
tibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #57
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340470
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibug View Post
Perhaps, but a broken swaybar/endlink is much easier to diagnose just by looking under the car. It's probably not your problem, but it's always good to rule out the really easy stuff first.

Another thing you can do instead of/before getting your wheels balanced is rotate the tires (front to rear, rear to front) and see if there is any change. If no, then either all of your wheels are out of balance, or the problem is not in your wheels.

Could also be a steering rack issue. Just throwing that out there...

Good luck.
Yeah, the steering feels stiffer I guess then it should (especially at lower speeds), but is still pretty unresponsive, imo. However, the power steering is at least still working to some degree; the PS belt snapped one time on me and I felt what no PS was like. Way easier to handle than that.

I'm not sure, but I think something in the PS system is leaking. However, I've periodically checked the fluid, and it seems to be staying at the same level. IDK. It's just kind of scary to drive at highway speeds because the car is getting pulled around.
ilarson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #58
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340470
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Default

Idk if this will help but. When I'm driving, the steering changes direction that it pulls. Like, it'll pull hard right, then weak left, then hard left, then weak right, etc.
ilarson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The official "I drove through some snow, and now my car shakes" thread Turn in Concepts Brakes, Steering & Suspension 48 07-09-2014 10:19 PM
The "I got bored and did ____ to my car today" Thread DraconisWRX Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC 3099 02-22-2012 10:52 PM
The official "I like the GTR, and I don't give a **** what OT thinks" thread. Strider Off-Topic 116 08-21-2008 08:42 AM
*The Official, "I won it in a raffle, but don't need it, so now it's for sale thread TRooper SCIC Private Classifieds 9 08-12-2008 12:13 AM
The Official "Is Jiffy to good for NASIOC now that he has a girlfriend" Thread DILLIGAF Racing Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 42 05-31-2004 05:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.