Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Imakuni
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 201458
Chapter/Region: International
Default Turboing a EJ20?

I've searched and found a lot of interesting information, but mostly about the U.S 2.5L RS.

I'm from the U.K and might be in the position to have a Impreza 2.0L GX Sport AWD (Either Bugeye or Blobeye) as my first car.

Obviously i'd get used to driving the stock car first and increase my driving skill, but seeing as i'd likely keep the car for 4-6 years i'm wondering whether it would be good to turbo it to increase performance instead of selling the car and buying a quicker one.

Would it be the same story as turboing the 2.5? Or is the 2.0 a better base to begin work on?

I appreciate you guys in the U.S don't get the 2.0L non-turbo Impreza, but I thought i'd ask due to the large knowledge base here

TIA!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Imakuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

If you are handy and have a garage space it would probably be more cost effective to buy an Ej205 turbo longblock and wiring harness and ECU from another bugeye and do a true WRX swap. At least here in the states, the parts would cost about the same. But since your car is already a bugeye/blobeye, you will be able to just remove your wiring harness and replace it with the WRX one with no cutting or splicing. Here in the states, with the GC chassis cars we can't do that. We didn't get a WRX option until the GD chassis and more and more guys who own bugeye 2.5RS's are just doing swaps.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

ps. What's the compression ratio on the NA Ej20 they are currently making for your market.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Imakuni
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
ps. What's the compression ratio on the NA Ej20 they are currently making for your market.
Thanks for the helpful reply, CR I believe is 10.00:1 for the Bugeye and Blobeye, not sure about the Hawkeye or GR.

Just to be a pain, say if I didn't want to do a swap. Would it be as much of a hassle as turboing the 2.5?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

It depends on which approach you take with it (trying to use factory parts or using aftermarket stuff), but the obstacles will be the same. I suspect your heads are really similar to Ej205 heads and likely have allowances for coolant and oil for the turbo that just need tapping, much like out DOHC Ej25d NA heads do. But in short, you'd basically do the same thing we do when we turbo an NA car.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Imakuni
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
It depends on which approach you take with it (trying to use factory parts or using aftermarket stuff), but the obstacles will be the same. I suspect your heads are really similar to Ej205 heads and likely have allowances for coolant and oil for the turbo that just need tapping, much like out DOHC Ej25d NA heads do. But in short, you'd basically do the same thing we do when we turbo an NA car.
My ethos is similar to Litchfield Imports, trying to keep everything as factory-looking as possible really.

Ideally i'd get a full STi swap with all the bells and whistles, if not that i'd get a full WRX swap, my last approach would be turboing the stock EJ20 N/A.

In the U.K it wll be cheaper for me to literally build my own STi/WRX than to buy one (especially when you factor in insurance), so to speak.

Why-oh-why can't WRX/STi parts be a straight swap between blocks?

EDIT:

I'd be looking/hoping to use mostly Subaru factory parts rather than aftermarket if I decided to turbo the EJ20 N/A.