Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
P&L Motorsports Inc.
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 67199
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
07 8.99@160mph STI
8.3@165mph RecordHolder

Default 07 STI - 330whp on 93 oct, Stock Turbo - My Personal STI!

I recently had the car on the dyno for a few new modifications that we put on. First was the addition of the P&L front mount intercooler, second was the prototype of our new 38mm v-band EWG kit.

On the below dyno plot, the blue line is the 100oct tune I had prior to the I/C and EWG. This is the power level that netted me a 12.4@109

The green line is 93 oct, with the addition of the P&L fmic. As you can tell it's slightly more power than it was making on 100oct.




Below is the newest tune on the car, with the addition of our brand new P&L 38mm V-Band External Wastegate. I'll have a few sound clips to upload because it sounds f'n awesome.

Unfortunately the car ran out of injector (they are stock) on the top end and boost had to be tapered down hard towards redline . With c16 I believe the stock injectors will be sufficient as we'll be leaning it out significantly.

For reference, this is the highest stock turbo STI number that I've seen in the 2 years I've been here. With the new found power... I'm thinking 11's are VERY obtainable.




Ty Curtin
P&L Motorsports
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
P&L Motorsports Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
sjl1614
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 56791
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
06 OBS

Default

Those numbers are very close to what i tuned my 06 sti with. I also had a 38mm EWG with maxed stock injectors. This tune was on 93 oct and no knock. Just for comparsion, super flow dyno's can display power #'s in several different ways. I'll post 3 dyno graphs.

SAE pwer


Uncorrected power


Dynojet power


It was fun to drive
sjl1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
4ST-AIR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148681
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Waukesha, WI
Vehicle:
2007 0-60 in $65,000
SOLD!!SOLD!!SOLD!!SOLD!!

Default

That's crazy I remember your first tune Ty and you thought you had a blown engine because you never even made it close to 300WHP.

Very nice results! Where is your boost at on the 93 map? Maybe Jorge can post a log so Phatron can archive it
4ST-AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
P&L Motorsports Inc.
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 67199
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
07 8.99@160mph STI
8.3@165mph RecordHolder

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ST-AIR View Post
That's crazy I remember your first tune Ty and you thought you had a blown engine because you never even made it close to 300WHP.

Very nice results! Where is your boost at on the 93 map? Maybe Jorge can post a log so Phatron can archive it
Yea, my first tune with just the turboback exhaust was 283whp.

It's a hot tune. This isn't something that we would give give to a customer. With that being said.. 23psi peak

-Ty
P&L Motorsports Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
4ST-AIR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148681
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Waukesha, WI
Vehicle:
2007 0-60 in $65,000
SOLD!!SOLD!!SOLD!!SOLD!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L Motorsports Inc. View Post
Yea, my first tune with just the turboback exhaust was 283whp.

It's a hot tune. This isn't something that we would give give to a customer. With that being said.. 23psi peak

-Ty
Thats sick for sure buddy!

I am Still looking forward to getting that P&L FMIC!!!
4ST-AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
brickhoss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84183
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hampstead, MD
Vehicle:
1994 Geo
Prism

Default

Very nice work as always, guys!

I'm particularly interested in what you do with this stock turbo car as I'm thinking about taking a very similar path with my newly acquired 05 STi... And I'm hoping my results will be somewhat similar... Considering I share the same tuner and all...

Ty, I hope you can roll out to MD with Jorge one of these months to hang out.

Rick
(IAG)
brickhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
WrXtaCy2003
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85036
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 PBP sti ltd
05 LGT 35r 30psi..busted

Default

Ty, I'll be at the showdown of you and Matt. I have a stock turbo too....It may not be a stock turbo for a sport compact but there is some diesel truck out there that my turbo is stock on....LOL. You are both doing down. BTW nice numbers.

DK
WrXtaCy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
toyjunkie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 177315
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: cinn. oh.
Vehicle:
2004 sti
wrb

Default

cant wait to have these guys tune my car.
toyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
socalLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89752
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the dyno at Yimi Sport
Vehicle:
08 STI
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L Motorsports Inc. View Post
For reference, this is the highest stock turbo STI number that I've seen in the 2 years I've been here. With the new found power... I'm thinking 11's are VERY obtainable.




Ty Curtin
P&L Motorsports
Sorry Ty. Not the highest I got 335whp out of a customer's stock turbo 07 Sti a while ago... and this was on CA91 octane :

socalLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
j255c
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89554
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2006 EVO SE
Black E85 30PSI dd

Default

hmm interesting P&L really had to lean on it to make power up top whereas Pauls is more conservative a/f
j255c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
jays05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78165
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: SC
Vehicle:
05 STI 35r + e85

Default

Uncorrected vs SAE. Both look great though.
jays05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
DoctorNick
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 7022
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, Il.
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited
SWP

Default

Nice job dude, can't wait too see it on the streets this summer!
DoctorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
WrXtaCy2003
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85036
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 PBP sti ltd
05 LGT 35r 30psi..busted

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j255c View Post
hmm interesting P&L really had to lean on it to make power up top whereas Pauls is more conservative a/f
1) he is running out of injector, so it probably is not tuned purposely that way, 2) at max it reaches 11.9, that is out the tail pipe, so for an in car wideband that would be like 11.5-11.6, again that was at max too.
WrXtaCy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
alfriedesq
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 6788
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Stamford, CT 06902
Vehicle:
2005 STI
10.9 @ 130

Default

Great work P & L - Kudos !
alfriedesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
socalLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89752
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the dyno at Yimi Sport
Vehicle:
08 STI
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jays05 View Post
Uncorrected vs SAE. Both look great though.
Actually, if the runs at P&L were done recently in the winter cold the numbers would have been LOWER if SAE corection had been applied.

SAE corection can add or subtract from the uncorrected numbers depending on temperature and atmospheric pressure. My personal feeling is that the temp correction portion works well but that th correction for atmospheric pressure is overly generous for forced induction motors. Given that I am relatively close to sea level I like using SAE for its' temp compensations.
socalLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
Junior2JZ
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 64908
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Tuning 8/9sec Subies @ P&L
Vehicle:
10.8 XT+10.0@143 GR+
9.0@170mph GTR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
Sorry Ty. Not the highest I got 335whp out of a customer's stock turbo 07 Sti a while ago... and this was on CA91 octane :

Your graph has a nicer curve too.. 300whp is nice at 7k
But yea, there are a few big HP vf cars.. 115-116mph traps.
Junior2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 AM   #17
Super Nintendo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73721
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wheaton, IL
Vehicle:
2007 STI
PTE 6266

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhoss View Post
Very nice work as always, guys!

I'm particularly interested in what you do with this stock turbo car as I'm thinking about taking a very similar path with my newly acquired 05 STi... And I'm hoping my results will be somewhat similar... Considering I share the same tuner and all...

Ty, I hope you can roll out to MD with Jorge one of these months to hang out.

Rick
(IAG)
Thanks Rick, stock turbo is pretty fun surprisingly!

I'm planning a trip to the east coast this spring to see what my STI can run near sea level. I'll be in contact with ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
Sorry Ty. Not the highest I got 335whp out of a customer's stock turbo 07 Sti a while ago... and this was on CA91 octane :
I actually meant the highest I've seen on our shop dyno, with 93 octane. I've been around a lot longer than I've been doing this professionally. I know I've seen guys almost at 400whp on some dynos on nasioc before..


Quote:
Originally Posted by alfriedesq View Post
Great work P & L - Kudos !
Thanks Al! I'm looking forward to your Dynoflash STI numbers in it's newest configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
Actually, if the runs at P&L were done recently in the winter cold the numbers would have been LOWER if SAE corection had been applied.

SAE corection can add or subtract from the uncorrected numbers depending on temperature and atmospheric pressure. My personal feeling is that the temp correction portion works well but that th correction for atmospheric pressure is overly generous for forced induction motors. Given that I am relatively close to sea level I like using SAE for its' temp compensations.
All of my plots are uncorrected with the ambient weather clearly stated. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior2JZ View Post
Your graph has a nicer curve too.. 300whp is nice at 7k
But yea, there are a few big HP vf cars.. 115-116mph traps.
I agree, my plot tanks big time on the top end. With c16, I'm confident I'll be able to hold pretty well to 7k rpm. April 4th is my first day back at the track and I plan on running at least a 12.2x @ 112+

As soon as I take the car to a better track, I'll update my times.

-Ty
Super Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
STi Mikey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114631
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: TheShopCT / EFI LOGICS
Vehicle:
2009 GTR, 735whp
13' Benz, 15' WRX

Default

Nice graph. Good luck with this project too, as I am also toying with the stock turbo. My car has gone 12.0 and has trapped as high 115, just with tbe+tune, so Im considering doing a few mods to see if we can extract some more power. You have a solid low 12 second car, play with it some more and see if you can throw her in the 11's

Have fun,

-Mikey
STi Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
STi Mikey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114631
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: TheShopCT / EFI LOGICS
Vehicle:
2009 GTR, 735whp
13' Benz, 15' WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
Sorry Ty. Not the highest I got 335whp out of a customer's stock turbo 07 Sti a while ago... and this was on CA91 octane :

A stock turbo car maxed out on a typical dyno jet can hit just about 370-375 whp tapering to about 330. Torque can be as high as 475 tapering to 250 @ redline.

Call me crazy, but I think Junior still has some graphs of when he use to tune on a dyno jet. One of his cars made 355 on 93 pump. Went low 12's at 112-113 if I'm not mistaken. If your willing to push these baby turbo setups to the limit, they have proven to make some really surprising power.

I've driven a few low 11, high 10 second subaru's and mitsu's. The great thing about maximizing the potential of a near stock setup is that power is there from 2500-up. I love the kick of a 35R, no doubt. But it is a depressing process waiting for the power to come (especially if you drive 80-100 miles a day like me).
STi Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
socalLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89752
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the dyno at Yimi Sport
Vehicle:
08 STI
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi Mikey View Post
A stock turbo car maxed out on a typical dyno jet can hit just about 370-375 whp tapering to about 330. Torque can be as high as 475 tapering to 250 @ redline.

Call me crazy, but I think Junior still has some graphs of when he use to tune on a dyno jet. One of his cars made 355 on 93 pump. Went low 12's at 112-113 if I'm not mistaken. If your willing to push these baby turbo setups to the limit, they have proven to make some really surprising power.

I've driven a few low 11, high 10 second subaru's and mitsu's. The great thing about maximizing the potential of a near stock setup is that power is there from 2500-up. I love the kick of a 35R, no doubt. But it is a depressing process waiting for the power to come (especially if you drive 80-100 miles a day like me).
No way in hell does any VF39/43 make 375whp peak and still hold 330whp at fuel cut on a Dynojet regardless of the fuel used UNLESS it is at high altitude and some form of correction factor is being used. At 5000' ASL, SAE correction will add more than 20% to the raw total so that would be plausible. At sea level, no way even if the inflated STD correction factor was used. The compressor simply does not move enough air for those numbers.
socalLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
STi Mikey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114631
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: TheShopCT / EFI LOGICS
Vehicle:
2009 GTR, 735whp
13' Benz, 15' WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
No way in hell does any VF39/43 make 375whp peak and still hold 330whp at fuel cut on a Dynojet regardless of the fuel used UNLESS it is at high altitude and some form of correction factor is being used. At 5000' ASL, SAE correction will add more than 20% to the raw total so that would be plausible. At sea level, no way even if the inflated STD correction factor was used. The compressor simply does not move enough air for those numbers.
ok. Ill see if i can get some graphs for you. I know I have one some where in which the car made 355 whp on 93 pump. You do not think a good tuner would not be able to net another 20 out of a c16 map??

In your experience on a dynojet, what WHP on a subie typically resembles 114-116 traps? Just about 365-375 whp, which a few stockers have done.
This is probably the best relationship you can use to see that it is possible. Redline and the area under the curve past 6k doesnt mean anything really anyway, if you drag these cars on thje stocker, there is no point to hold these cars out past 6200.
STi Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
wrxman420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 120007
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee WI
Vehicle:
2003 PPG, STG 3+
Am I in Reverse?

Default

Very nice Ty. Please post up some videos of the new ewg kit.
wrxman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
socalLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89752
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the dyno at Yimi Sport
Vehicle:
08 STI
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi Mikey View Post
ok. Ill see if i can get some graphs for you. I know I have one some where in which the car made 355 whp on 93 pump. You do not think a good tuner would not be able to net another 20 out of a c16 map??

In your experience on a dynojet, what WHP on a subie typically resembles 114-116 traps? Just about 365-375 whp, which a few stockers have done.
This is probably the best relationship you can use to see that it is possible. Redline and the area under the curve past 6k doesnt mean anything really anyway, if you drag these cars on thje stocker, there is no point to hold these cars out past 6200.
After a certain point adding timing and leaning out the AFR's ceases to make any more power. A VF39/43 is somewhere in the ballpark of a 36-38lb/min turbo. As such to even make 350whp out of one your are basically running it off the compressor map. So no, I cannot see a legit 375whp out of a VF39/43 regardless of the fuel used. As for trap speeds, around 350-360whp on my Dynojet will trap 114-116mph depending on the weight of the car+driver.
socalLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #24
mussexy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 115055
Join Date: May 2006
Default

actually the STi turbo is around 32-32.5 lb/min turbo



------------------------

i say everyone that has low readin dynos should just buy a high reading dyno, advertisement is just too great with high reading dynos,


---------------------

socalgt i really doubt a 350whp - 360whp STi on your dyno will trap 114 - 116mph, im sorry im not goin to agree on that,

so if you saying 350 - 360whp can net 114-116mph trap then by law, a 335whp stock turbo can net as high as 112-113mph, and you happen to be able to get 335whp using 100% CA 91 octane,

stock turbo STi using 100% CA 91 octane will never trap close to 112mph even if the car has is 300lb lighter, i just dont see that happening

the CA 91 is just so inconsistant, and has its limits,

335whp on 91 octane with stock turbo just proves your dyno reads quite high,

DarealSTi has the fastest trapspeed on 100% CA 91 octane he was able to trap 109-110mph and he only made 277whp

Last edited by mussexy; 02-01-2009 at 04:14 PM.
mussexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #25
STi Mikey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114631
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: TheShopCT / EFI LOGICS
Vehicle:
2009 GTR, 735whp
13' Benz, 15' WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
After a certain point adding timing and leaning out the AFR's ceases to make any more power. A VF39/43 is somewhere in the ballpark of a 36-38lb/min turbo. As such to even make 350whp out of one your are basically running it off the compressor map. So no, I cannot see a legit 375whp out of a VF39/43 regardless of the fuel used. As for trap speeds, around 350-360whp on my Dynojet will trap 114-116mph depending on the weight of the car+driver.
Figured a video would be good. Please do not take this as me hating, just showing you that this power could be acheived on a dynojet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuA6P...ext=1&index=79

This car went 12.1 or 12.2 with a 300+ lb driver.

Mussexy, man why the hell they keep giving downsti timeouts, some one has to tell the mods that we are not in pre-school anymore, haha
STi Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am Impresses High HP STI! 500+on 93 oct fuel the ringer Proven Power Bragging 14 07-02-2007 11:32 PM
07 STi Stg 2 93 Oct. AGILE protune Louie Proven Power Bragging 18 04-12-2007 05:06 PM
Hydramist installed - up to 27 psi on 93 oct right after install El Gato Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 19 12-07-2006 10:56 PM
Our 500 hp on 93 oct STI visited the Dyno for C-16 Tuning.(SEE VIDEO) TOMASCS Proven Power Bragging 78 09-06-2006 09:52 PM
500.85 hp STI on 93 oct GAS (BOOST ONLY) From P.R. TOMASCS Proven Power Bragging 59 05-31-2006 10:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.